What's new

EBB & FLOW experts, please help!

No expert.

Home Depot cement mixing tray, 2x3 I believe? I built one works well. Another member here Homebrewer uses them, he also yields well using this.

If you google: "diy cement mixing tub ebb n flow"

Should be the first couple links.

Enjoy!

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Building a tray?

I'd build yourself a bin using wood. Say plywood bottom with 2x6 boards as your perimeter "walls". Then just lay pond liner in it - only stapling it up around the top of your permeter walls. The tricky part is installing your fill/drain fitting and creating a good seal to ensure no leaks or water getting under the pond liner/top of the wood.

Is that what you mean?

In all honestly I'd try to use a store bought tray. Botanicare just released some new trays which are 3x3 overall (rather then 3x3 ID). See if one of those would work. Shop around here used to sell some smaller sized trays that would fit in a space that they were rated at. They called then Canadian trays..perhaps older grotek trays.

Look into American Hydroponics 3x3 Econo tray. They are a bit smaller. 34" OD I think. They dont have the depth of a normal tray however.

Otherwise maybe run a few under the bed storage totes or something.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
hi FF, thank you for taking the time to itemize the options for me as you did.
Do you have links to the botanicare tray you mentioned? The one that's exactly 3 x 3.
I'm greatly leaning to building one with wood since it's the best way to get precisely what I want.

I dont have specific link to where to purchase them but you can find them on Botanicares website. Any hydro shop should be able to order you one. Ordering online might get costly if you have to ship it.

These are rather new from botanicare and not sure if the industry had widely picked them up yet. You just need to make sure whomever get you one that they order the OD model.. not the ID models.

Check this - black 3x3 OD - couldnt locate it in white.
http://www.botanicare.com/Botanicare-3x3-OD-Tray-Black-P133C7.aspx

and if you wanted to check out the 36" OD american hydroponics one it can be seen here. These are thinner trays with holes already drilled in the center. I think you'll have to get their american hydro fittings kit if you went this route as the holes are smaller then other standard fill and drain kits out there.
http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=1129