What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

germ troubles

Elsweeto

My seedlings are having trouble throwing off their carapace/shell and the die off without opening it any ideas?

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
easiest answer is to plant slightly deeper

but if they come up with the shell still on and don't come off within 12hr or so I spray them with water to soften them up

C

Classy@Home

easiest answer is to plant slightly deeper

but if they come up with the shell still on and don't come off within 12hr or so I spray them with water to soften them up
If they still stick - I use a couple of toothpicks, and GENTLY try to pry the edges loose...

A little...

GENTLY...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Try planting seeds sideways or upside down. Forcing the sprout/shell to turn in the media will loosen the shell's grip more than if the sprout grows straight up.

I've used X-acto blades to peel shells off. Like Classy says... gently.

C

Classy@Home

I usually go 1/4" to 3/8" deep on peat pellets - but that's just me.

Different medium - different people - different answers...

And you figgered out the rep thang just fine - I like to rep+, not required, but the thank you goes a looong way...

Good luck...

soaking them in a Tot of water usually pops the seed and weakens the shell before I plant i always soak 24hrs, gets the taproot out quicker as well, :)

My 2 cents.

Namaste :joint: