What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Easy Cloning Tutorial

BPJR

Cloning-

I wanted to put together a tutorial for cloning. When I got started cloning it was one of the most difficult tasks for me to accomplish. I would take what I thought were good viable clones only to watch them sit doing nothing. I rarely would see them die off but rather stay in a state of indefinite hibernation.

After studying, and experimenting with lots of trial and error I found a method that works for me. Most of the info can be found already on this or other sites. Its not new and might not be the best method out there but it does work. I get results every time and typically get about a 90%+ success rate.

Time from cutting to rooting depends on strain and conditions. I average about 9 days. I have some that have popped in 4 and some in 20.

Items needed:
Cutting board
New single edge razor blade
Sharp clean scissors
Wood skewer
Cloning Gel ( I like Rootex but have had good results with other major brands such as Olivias. I like thick gels)
Rapid Rooters
Clear Plastic Shoe Box X2 ( got mine for about $2 each at Bed Bath and Beyond)
Distilled Water or Reverse Osmosis (PH around 5.8 ) Some advise a PH as low as 5.2
Tall skinny shot glass X2
Lighter
Hand Sanitizer
Bleach
Tea Cup Saucer (Gel Reservoir)
(1) 2' T5 CFL in blue kelvin spectrum
H2O Mister
Thermometer
1/2oz+/- water dropper

It is important to have all items within arms reach BEFORE you start to take cuts.

1) Begin by using a 5% bleach solution to clean the plastic boxes.
2) Disinfect your hands with the hand sanitizer. Use the lighter to disinfect the scissors and razor blade.
3) Fill both of the shot glasses with the PH balanced H2O
4) Use tea saucer for rooting gel. Don't contaminate gel by dipping directly
5) Prepare Rapid Rooters upside down in clear plastic shoe box. Fat side down. Should fit about 10-15 clones in box
6) Moisten the Rapid Rooter with the water.
7) Use skewer to poke hole in the top of Rapid Rooter.
8 ) Use skewer to put some cloning gel into the holes of the Rapid Rooters
9) Take cuts with razor and put directly into water in the shot glass. I use the trim from the lower 1/2 of the plant. It cleans the plant leaving the tops for larger denser buds. Let sit for at least 30 min. This helps all the cells in the cut absorb all the water they can before you put them in the medium.
10) Take 1 cut at a time from the shot glass. Use scissors to trip the fan leaves back. Leave about 4 leaves on the top cut back about half way. Too much leaf with cause the plant to sag and have a harder time taking root. I find less is more.
11) Prepare cutting board. Take razor and cut stem near a node at an 45degree angle. Node should wind up inside the Rapid Rooter. The longer the cut the better as this is where roots will form first.
12) Fallowing the cut hold directly in the water of the other shot glass for about 20 seconds. This will help prevent an embolism.
13) Take skewer and apply cloning gel to the stem of the cut. Carefully paint it on. Dipping would work too. Be generous with the gel and make sure to get it on the stem node too.
14) Careful put into pre-made hole in Rapid Rooter.
15) Continue process until all cuts are done.
16) Mist with PH balanced H2O
17) Take other plastic shoe box and use as lid
18 ) Lay T5 directly on top of plastic shoe box

Notes:

Keep lighting on 24/7.

Temps around 82-85 degrees F.

Humidity around 85-100% Higher in the first few days. Slightly crack the lid on the box after a couple days to let breath.

I use a PH of around 5.8 to 6.0 - Some advise a PH as low as 5.2 - I have had successful clones with a PH as high as 7.2 as well

Leaves should not touch each other or walls of box. I rarely use a heat mat. However if ambient temps are really cold you may want to use a heat mat. But I would not put it directly under the box. I use dowels or pencils laid out to provide a barrier to avoid frying them.

Root temps should be a few degrees warmer than the air. I insulate with a towel under the box if not using a heat pad.

Mist. Cuts have no roots to take in moisture so misting provides the leaves with an alternative. (Some dont advocate misting. I do)

Keep Rapid Rooters moist but not soaked. Roots need oxygen to grow and water logged medium causes numerous problems. Don't let them dry out too much either.

Rock wool cubes, or other medium will work. But I like Rapid Rooters.

Make sure to crack the box slightly to let fresh air in.

Use water dropper to remove any pooling water from box.

Lower the Nitrogen level on your nutes about a week before you take your cuts. Misting your plant with H2O in the days before trimming will help this process.

If they sag and wilt especially in the first day or two don't despair. They will likely bounce back. Give them time.

Don't forget to label your babies.

When they are ready to transplant I use a minimum of a 1gl pot.

Don't mess with them too much. Sit back and let nature take its course.

This is only one way to take clones. There are many techniques that work.

Hope this helps.

B

Attachments

• cloning supllies 002.jpg
    cloning supllies 002.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 38
  • september 2009 002.jpg
    september 2009 002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG 0535
    IMG 0535
    123 KB · Views: 58
  • september 2009 018.jpg
    september 2009 018.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 29

blwd67

Good stuff, man. I just took my first clone ever and did almost none of those things. Just an experiment, probably going to fail. I'm going to subscribe so this is on hand in the future.

BPJR

I had numerous problems cloning. I totally think its awesome you have put together a small straightforward guide for people! Great Job!

I also want to add I just ended up water cloning.

1 Jam Jar
1 Black Sock
8 oz water
Water Pump - Tetra Whisper 10 Air Pump
Total Cost: About $7.00

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10827&highlight=water+cloning

Thanks man. I recently had a few left over cuts in a glass of water and sure enough they took root. I have been toying with the idea of trying something like your water cloning method. Cant beat $7.00

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
b

BPJR

Here are a few more photos

Attachments

• september 2009 004.jpg
    september 2009 004.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 27
  • september 2009 008.jpg
    september 2009 008.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 37
  • september 2009 013.jpg
    september 2009 013.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
  • september 2009 015.jpg
    september 2009 015.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28

R3ZIN

Thanks man. I recently had a few left over cuts in a glass of water and sure enough they took root. I have been toying with the idea of trying something like your water cloning method. Cant beat $7.00

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
b

Not my method but it worked for me. I would truly say whatever methods gets the job done easiest for you, me or anyone else, that's the one I would recommend. It's all about the happy ending ;)

Dovepistil

Hey guys, you are making all this WAY too complicated!

I am not new to this, having grown for over 30 years. Cloning has been my Waterloo forever. I'll get near 100% yield one time, and 10% or 0% the next. Arrrgh! You can't imagine how much hair I've torn out while trying to master cloning. When doing it conventionally in some medium (soil, rock wool, coir, foam cubes, whatever, I've tried them all!) the ART is in the weaning off of the humidity dome. Too soon or too rapidly and cuttings will wilt and die. Too slowly or too gradually and the cuttings will be too happy and not grow roots. Arrrgh! I once fed the output of an ultrasonic humidifier into my humidity cover and had cuttings that looked as good as the minute they were cut, one MONTH later. They were lush green beauties, and out of 30 cuttings, not ONE had any roots. Arrgh! I had been much too kind. If you do not demand that cuttings WORK at finding their water, they will never grow roots. Making that demand appropriately is an ART, in my opinion.

Then, about a year ago, I discovered aeroponics, which makes cloning fall down simple and 100% successful, in my experience. And even Flintstoner makes it too complicated! I assure you that this technique is incredibly simple and unbelievably successful. No humidity dome ever, sloppy environmental control is OK within limits, no rooting hormones or other chemicals. No ART required from the grower, just do the simple mechanics. Go easy on lights, not much needed right now. The single downside to aeroponics is that rooting can take a long time (weeks) for some cuttings, and a few days for others. This does cause some problem for SOG growers like me, but they are far from fatal. I'm transitioning from decades of SOG (with just under 100 plants to be safe from Federal hysteria) to a few large bloomers in SCROG to comply with WA state medical MJ stupidity (15 plant total, clones included). I'm transitioning to this growing method: If you're poor like me, with a bit of ingenuity, you can build your own. As I get successful with this technique, I'll post a journal with my construction details.

I built my cloner for under $50, you can too. I use plain tap water, set to pH 6. No operating room sterility needed. I whack off cuttings with dull, dirty scissors. No problem! No humidity dome. I even run a small fan blowing on the cuttings from day one! No wilting problem whatsoever. If you cut the freshest, greenest tips off the very top of your plants, they won't clone. Even halfway toward the bottom of the plant, in veg or in early-mid bloom, you'll get 100% success, if you wait long enough. It will increase rooting density if you strip away some cambium from the stem. Just break, not cut, the unwanted foliage and try to peel away a string of cambium going down the stem when removing the broken off piece. Oh, do make sure to keep roots in the dark, light inhibits them. The only question that has come up for me with aeroponic cloning is "Why the hell did it take me so long to find this simple solution to the difficulties of cloning?!"

I wish everyone the best as we pursue our shared endeavor!

Last edited by a moderator:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Link cosmetics 101

Link cosmetics 101

:hijacked: Just in case you're interested, ignore at will.

Just above the Reply To Thread window, you'll see a "globe with a chain link" icon. This is the icon to turn word(s) into a link. Copy the url, write the title of your link and highlight with curser, click globe, paste url, voìla... word link. I like to follow up by changing the color of the title with the large "A" icon (font color)

BPJR's Easy Cloning Tutorial

Or, you can hit quote on this post and copy the code.

reckon

or just rinse some pure coco, put it in a 12oz cup that you poked a bunch of holes in the bottom.

stick the razor clipped cutting in the coco, water it every other day for the first week and wait 10 days,...no dome, no wilt, no cloning gel, no solutions, no 25 item list,...

now THAT'S an "easy tutorial"

i find peat sucks for clones esp those peat pucks there fine for seedlings but clones nah....the shit is way too acidic imo and always have cobweb mold issues with them when using a humidome wich you have to use because there so small....im using a cloner based on the walmart cloner...using normal icecube trays and coir/perlite....wick systems are teh best imo but to each his own and no use for a humidity dome with clones...or misting...for me misting/humididomes did worse not better....

H

HAGs

seems like alot to read and you are going way overboard, to each his own i guess.

i snip right off from the mother
dip my fresh cut in rooting powder
stick the cut in the rooter and into a humidome with a 18w cfl over it. i get roots in 4-7 days everytime.

BPJR

seems like alot to read and you are going way overboard, to each his own i guess.

i snip right off from the mother
dip my fresh cut in rooting powder
stick the cut in the rooter and into a humidome with a 18w cfl over it. i get roots in 4-7 days everytime.

Glad you have found your own method. This is mine. It works for me.

Cheers
-b

Dr.Dee

hi,
a little trick for those clones in soil:
sure to place the future clone at 45 ° to the soil. This "bending" facilitates the transport of fluids and hormones throughout the clone, speeding the process of rooting ... my 2 cents.
bye

BPJR

hi,
a little trick for those clones in soil:
sure to place the future clone at 45 ° to the soil. This "bending" facilitates the transport of fluids and hormones throughout the clone, speeding the process of rooting ... my 2 cents.
bye

Thanks for the input Doc!

Latest posts

Latest posts