What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Unusual Smells Have You Experienced And From What Strain?

it all smells strange to me, the odors are literally legion
my favourite weird so far
garbage can, smelled like a dumpster, a PPP pheno
years ago did my share of whipping trash cans at a campsite, some smells stick with you
and it didn't taste bad at all, go figure

I feel that.. its so funny how gross smells that you wouldn't think twice about, and undoubtedly find repulsive, are suddenly desirable once you find it in the smoke of our favorite herb. kinda funny.:tiphat:

A Hawaiian guy at a hot spring gave me three weak looking little brown seeds. He said they would be killer.
Only one sprouted. The plant was finnicky and grew slowly. When it finished it turned so purple it was black. It had orange hairs and was loaded with greenish colored crystals. There was something very Haloweeny about it.
The plant smelled and tasted very strongly of Hawaiian Punch drink. So much so that people I smoked out with thought the growers had flushed it with Hawaiian Punch during flowering. Wonderful mellow happy high. The fruitiness was incredible so good to smoke. Maybe my favorite pot ever.
The old fruit strains were great. Often purpilish they were very sweet. The Hawaiian Punch was one example but the Californian ones were nice. Plum, apple, mango, various fruit flavors many like the artifical candy or soda fruit flavors.
Don't see those strains any more I wonder what happened to them. I know hydro growers didn't appreciate them because they don't taste fruity in chemicals. The yield wasn't as good as other plants and they could be hard to clone. Still amazed they aren't still around.

its a shame you didnt keep a cut! no hate or negativity intended. just sounds like a very unique and cool ass plant!
icon10.gif

xet

There is a strain called Cat Piss that smells like literal rancid, vomit in your mouth, Cat Piss.

when the bag opened it was like "ah f*ck no put that sh*t away. ah f*ck it there is no other smoke light it up."

The high is superb. uplifting. musical

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was on a Honduran island last winter where I discovered my favorite strain. The locals call it Trash because it's what they smoke when they don't have the imported Jamaican brick. It grows on the island where Jamaican won't grow (salt air/soil??). It tastes great and the high is fantastic. One day my "dealer" handed me a bag of "the good stuff".

I opened the bag of brown weed, took sniff and "WTF!?" It smelled like he was picking his asshole when he filled the bag. I swear it smelled like ass. I didn't want to smoke it, but my travel team wanted to smoke it anyway. It smelled like regular weed when they sparked it up and smelled good, but I couldn't bring myself to smoke it. lol. I brought 10 bag seeds home, but none germinated.

TheBlaze

Seedsman Black Rhino - Was so frosty it felt wet to the touch. Smelt like garlic and onions. First and only time I've ever smelt that.

Holy Smoke Seeds Strawberry Diesel - One pheno smelt (and tasted, to a lessor extent) like hotshots. That hot cinnamon shooter. You guys know what I'm talking about? Didn't like the smell at all. Taste was better, and high was great. Other phenos had the typical muted sour berry smell you would expect.

I've had a few chems/og's over the years, that smelt like polony or some other kind of processed meat.

GoatCheese

Veteran
A X18 from Tom Hill i grew had a baby puke smell when you openned the jar. ..fruity baby puke. It didn't smell like puke that much when it was prepared for a bowl/joint, but the jar was pure fruity baby puke when you opened it. Roms, a member here, also mentioned the same aroma.

The same baby puke aroma can be found in lines that have "Afghan T" in them from Nevil. IT was dead on the same hashy fruity baby puke. The puke-X18 also had a noticeable green apple note in it, as does the Black Domina pictured in my last post. It also had the same gingerbread cookie aroma as the Domina, but the Domina isn't very puke-y..
The aroma of this X18 was so close to the "Maple Leaf"-plants from Nevil's genetics that i believe they are related.

In early veg this plant smelled like apple air freshener, in later veg it got more sharp spice along with the apple. It had too big of a hermie trait in it and i didn't like the effect so i didn't keep her.
picture.php

clearheaded

Golden Goat filled the room with an incense smell. I have been chasing that smell for years now.

ya sensi seeds early pearl or early sativa have that insense smell. frankensence more so then nag champa...

lol my buddies always hated i kept my stash next to nag in high school and more often then not got that smell lol... was beasters so not huge deal lol

as for strange flavors, durian fruit from a fruit slap (querkleXsweet skunk). always interesting when taste like straight carrots, not uncommon but weird.

Rose is my fvorite doesnt happen often but 1 flavor that really comes through in teh smoke alot of the lighter fruit or flower flavors tend nto to come through for whole joints like rose. should be ore popular. love the idea of rose lemonaid, rose lemon or orange candy like that sweet morish sour lemon in kandy kush(guess prob from tw?) would be wonderful hash. mmm

Last edited:

kaochiu

Veteran
Got a Tangie that smells exactly like Fanta. The taste is fine but doesn't match the smell.

EvilCartman

A pack Bodhi's Dream Beaver had some interesting variety.

Strong eucalyptus scent from one plant, with licorice undertones, More common was a mix of Onion soup/Body odor with a splash of Patchouli oil.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
A pack Bodhi's Dream Beaver had some interesting variety.

Strong eucalyptus scent from one plant, with licorice undertones, More common was a mix of Onion soup/Body odor with a splash of Patchouli oil.

I knew a girl who smelled like that.

Friendly too.

MrBungle

Not a fan of anything Afghani... its like a harsh cat piss/ ammonia/petroleum smell or something..

I can detect Afghani in anything, doesn't matter how fruity or loud it is...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I had some stuff that smelled like super strong garlic. Came barely compressed. Only got a few qps of it and never saw it again. It was great smoke (at least compared to what we usually had back then). At the time I thought it was from being smuggled in garlic. But a few years later I read about garlic bud and have wondered since.

I grew a pack of mosca c99. One plant smelled like cinnamon for a few days around week 5 or 6. I still wish I had harvested it then and made bho in an attempt to capture it in flavor. I would love to try a cinnamon flavored strain.

igrowone

Veteran
not encountered garlic yet
but onion is not too rare, have had a couple of plants with noticeable onion
not a bad odor in and of itself, but it's the mix that matters
interesting how the odor blend can be good or bad, i suspect some profound cannabis secret in this

The most shocking smell I've encountered was from the strain grapefruit. It smelled like someone busted the skin open on a ruby red grapefruit every time I opened the jar.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
El Nino by GHS smelled like vomit, tasted a bit like that as well,, uhh that was grim and wasn't my fault i don't think anyway.. GHS are shiiiiiiiite..

beta

Veteran
The most shocking smell I've encountered was from the strain grapefruit. It smelled like someone busted the skin open on a ruby red grapefruit every time I opened the jar.

I had a Mosca C99 BX1 that sounds exactly like that. Sure do miss that one.

'Boogieman'

Grew a C99 that smelled like ammonia and cat piss, top it off it had a old school earthy menthol taste I can't really describe and the smoke was great up weed with a paranoid edge.