What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

Spaventa

Veteran
Theres good fems and bad fems - its down to the breeder and why and how they came about. Some were created with the best techniques, using great genetics with utmost integrity.
Others are thrown together with no expertise and for the most dishonourable motives.
You can't compare the fems you get from Ace or Connoisseur Genetics etc to the rubbish fems like Greenhouse made because they lost parental males. They didn't even pic a good individual to self in the first place in at least one case, Nevilles Haze. The regulars were grail until 2003. The fems are rubbish.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Female seeds are more of a sure thing. If you have seeds from 2 females then you know exactly what you have. Or selfed seeds (S1) you know what you have. With a male you don't know unless you have made seeds with that male, grown out some of those seeds into buds.

Take the elite OG kush clones. Probably many were hermie seeds found in some elite bud that was hoarded. All of the white fire seeds are fems. And I am trying to get my GDP S1's to germinate.

Americangrower

Veteran
I don't grow fem seeds. It's not breeding to make fem seeds, it is true pollen chucking. Thats where the problem is. Every Tom Dick and Harry can reverse a elite clone, but you don't know what hereditary traits she is passing on. For example if she has 1 hermie gene that becomes 2 in offspring. It just leads to big problems down the line, especially when the person buying the seeds then selfs them for more seeds.
I will stick to breeding and stress testing my males, but to each their own.

beta

Veteran
This is all full on BS.

fyi almost every single legendary clone only that has ever existed is from bagseed. Bagseed is usually the product of a female plant herming out and lightly pollinating another female in the room, which would make feminized seed.

Seriously, how many legendary clone-onlys can you name that weren't an accident?

Sour Diesel, all the Chems, OG Kush and all of its spawn - ALL accidental feminized crosses.

Fems work great for guerilla from seed to harvest outdoor grows. One seed, one female, all success.

But:

Fems are usually ripping off somone elses creation

Generic in name and appearence

No real promise of being female that doesn't hermie or even a great representation of the name/breed

Cost a lot of money

Few fems ever become clone only, every clon only becomes a fem

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Femenizing a female with special traits is a good breeding tool to lock the traits, on the other hand for people with small spaces or growing as medicine.Lot of seed companies use it also imo to protect their business, so that people can't make their own seeds more easily.Pity only that the seeds are more expensive than the same when regular.

Americangrower

Veteran
This is all full on BS.

fyi almost every single legendary clone only that has ever existed is from bagseed. Bagseed is usually the product of a female plant herming out and lightly pollinating another female in the room, which would make feminized seed.

Seriously, how many legendary clone-onlys can you name that weren't an accident?

Sour Diesel, all the Chems, OG Kush and all of its spawn - ALL accidental feminized crosses.

Yes it's true that tons of elites could be selfed (but who knows) and thats why a proven male is so important to stabilize it. Just my 2 cents

beta

Veteran
In regular seeds u have the hybrid vigor... Original Glue 4 it's from a fem seed?

Feminized seeds will also have hybrid vigor if the parents are unrelated.

Regular seeds will not have hybrid vigor if the plants are related.

Hybrid vigor has nothing to do with regular vs feminized. It has everything to do with how related the parents are.

insomniac_AU

Why would a small home grower ever need to make seed? Honestly I can keep the same genetics going indefinitely. One seed that perpetuates forever. It depends what you want from the seed you are buying.
Photoperiod fems are a great way for someone like me to get hold of the genetics and be assured all female plants. I can see the value in both arguments though. If I was breeding I would want regular seed stock.

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
Take the elite OG kush clones. Probably many were hermie seeds found in some elite bud that was hoarded. .
Probably BUT no sure..... Gg4 isn't from a fem... Like chem4... Dosidos..ogkb... Stardawg Corey... Bruce banner 3 and +/- all the top clones around....

Americangrower

Veteran
I think new growers have the wrong idea on S1 fem seeds. Just because someone reverses a clone doesn't mean you will get the same plant from the seed. Just for example if you buy GG4 S1 seeds you could get a plant similar to Chem Sis, Choc D, Sour Dub, a mix of all, or a plant similar to any of the grandparents sour bubble, diesel, choc thai, and so on.

Probably BUT no sure..... Gg4 isn't from a fem... Like chem4... Dosidos..ogkb... Stardawg Corey... Bruce banner 3 and +/- all the top clones around....

GG#4 was from a hermie that accidentally pollinated the room. So, technically, it is from a fem seed.

It does seem that a lot of “Elites” were found from “fem” seeds. Could it be that fems have a higher likelihood of producing elites? Possibly, but there are also tons of elites that have been found in reg seeds too.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Why would a small home grower ever need to make seed? Honestly I can keep the same genetics going indefinitely. One seed that perpetuates forever. It depends what you want from the seed you are buying.
Photoperiod fems are a great way for someone like me to get hold of the genetics and be assured all female plants. I can see the value in both arguments though. If I was breeding I would want regular seed stock.
Pls define "small" home grower, as all things aren't created equal.

I support your POV. OTOH I simply do not have the room to clone. That being said, I do intend to buy "regular" seeds once I have stocked my medicine cabinet (vice buying off the shelf until I do :) Because of my set up, I have to hope that I'll get a male amongst reg seeds, but still have to crack 5 to find out. If you don't have a male in there = a waste of money. OTOH if you do have a male, you are golden. Let them have sex! :)

In closing, because seeds are better these days (or so I've been told), you are never guaranteed a male in the bunch these days, where yesteryear, intermixed males were common place. One dude bought reg seeds and, they were all male. Now that is a waste of time and money.

I fully understand our position but, because health care doesn't pay for our medicine, frugality is an operative word. I am growing my own to a. cut cost down (long run) and b. know what I am growing. Some of these strains are rare or hard to come by. Therefore, breeding for seed is a no brainer:) and what I intend to do down the road. So feminized seeds do have their place :)

beta

Veteran
GG#4 was from a hermie that accidentally pollinated the room. So, technically, it is from a fem seed.

It does seem that a lot of “Elites” were found from “fem” seeds. Could it be that fems have a higher likelihood of producing elites? Possibly, but there are also tons of elites that have been found in reg seeds too.

Can you name one? I know they're out there, but imo they're much less common than elites that come from fems.

I'm talking legendary strains, ones that have stood the test of time. Not flavor of the month stuff.

beta

Veteran

GG4 is from an accidental feminized cross. Chem4 is from an accidental feminized cross. OGKB is from an accidental feminized cross.

insomniac_AU

Pls define "small" home grower, as all things aren't created equal.

I support your POV. OTOH I simply do not have the room to clone.

Hi Switcher :)

I suppose I consider myself a small home grower. I have a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2m tent with one light. I also have a built in wardrobe converted into a veg room with 2 CFLs in it. I want continuous flowering happening so when one crop finishes the new plants are ready to go straight in and flip. I'm about as small as you can be to achieve that.

Americangrower

Veteran
GG4 is from fem, but chem 4 may not be as Chemdog had a male in the 1st seeds dropped, so to me that says cross pollination or a super male dom hermie which then would be a fem seed.

beta

Veteran
GG4 is from fem, but chem 4 may not be as Chemdog had a male in the 1st seeds dropped, so to me that says cross pollination or a super male dom hermie which then would be a fem seed.

a) males are possible in fem lines

b) Chemdog's story is *highly* suspect.

Master Kush, Pot of Gold, AK-47 used to be one, Kali Mist, various hazes, etc.

There are tons of elite reg seed lines or elites that came from regular lines.

Americangrower

Veteran
a) males are possible in fem lines

b) Chemdog's story is *highly* suspect.

Yeah not going to argue either point there. I will say that either Chimera or DJ Short ( i cant remember who) said that they are in fact heavily male dominate fems.

As for Chemdog all the NY crew and Skunk VA tell the same story. Once again who really knows

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi Switcher :)

I suppose I consider myself a small home grower. I have a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2m tent with one light. I also have a built in wardrobe converted into a veg room with 2 CFLs in it. I want continuous flowering happening so when one crop finishes the new plants are ready to go straight in and flip. I'm about as small as you can be to achieve that.
Thanks for your reply :)
I have a green house 8x8 that I plan to grow my sativas in (2 plants) I also have a 3x3x6 tent with a 600W Meizhi for flower and a 2x2x3 tent with a 300W Meizhi for sprouting seedling to veging.

The bottom line for me, I lean towards indicas vice sativas. I simply do not like being wasted all day long. I went with recommendations for my ailment but at my age I could do without the THC. I love AC/DC BTW :)

I also know that I may have to move my plants (Sats) the larger tent before I can place them in the greenhouse (Gc Tw) while growing (Dt and GDP) in the main tent.

Depending how the grow goes and the yield, I might use my main tent into a "bordello" LOL That is my plan anyway, becoming self sufficient.

Cloning is definitely an option on my radar, but we are ltd to 4 plants. If I can dial in my grow to as close to 1g/w I will be happy. An oz lasts me a month or more. Turning all bud into oral applications go a long way, even with a yield of 0.5g/w

So starting out I believe in KISSING as much as possible :) Take care...