What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what seeds should I start?

djimb

Veteran
I'm getting ready to start seeds in my new location, most likely in May, and I'm trying to decide what strains I should grow.

I want to limit it to about 10 plants, and ~5 of them in the first run will be Dave Coullier's Afropips Durban repro testers.

My plan is to do small seed runs with half packs of 5 or so seeds in open pollination, then run the other half pack and finally do a SOG run with seed from both halves to try to maintain diversity in the gene pool.

Along side the half pack seed runs, I want to do some of the shorter flowering varieties I have, with maybe another long one to get a feel for what to expect when I get to them for their own
seed runs.

So what should I run along with the Durbans?

Here's what I've got in the fridge:

10x Auto AK-47 ~9-10w
20x Leb27 ~6 weeks
10x Guerrilla gold #3 ~early sept.
40x Raspberry Kush ~8-9w (bagseed)
20x Flo ~8-10w
10x GDP ~8-10w
2x UW S1 or UW x Colombian (accidental from my last grow)
10x Natural mystic ~8-10w
20x Baglung Nepali ~8-10 weeks
10x Starfighter x Longbottom Leaf ~9w
5x GSC ~9w (bagseed)
10x Blubonic ~10 weeks
10x Zippolite Oaxaca ~8-12w
10x GDP x NYCD ~10-12w
10x Skunk Haze ~10-12w
10x Nirvana Maui Wowie ~10-12w
3x Ace Purple Malawi x Colombian ~12-14w (pollination with poorly stored Colombian pollen)
10x Coljam ~12-14w
10x Acapulco Gold ~14-16w
80x Hmong Thai ~14-16w
40x Hmong Thai x Highland Laos ~14-16
10x K1 Zamal ~ 16-18w
40x GN Laos ~20-24 weeks

Thanks!

covert

With that collection, there's hardly a wrong answer to be found.....

I'd go with your gut, or just print out that sheet and roll some seeds towards it and pick whatever the seeds have landed on. Let the seeds select.

Whatever happens you're going to have a great grow, I can feel it :)

Tp01

if I had that seed collection id need someone to choose too. Theres not enough thai growing in the world... do that, and the thai laos too and ples post pics id love to see them

djimb

Veteran
Covert and tp01:
My collection is the benefit of a restless 2 year growing hiatus. Really, what I need is a greenhouse!

Dog Star:
I've been curious about those ones. I got them with Bodhi's AG and Zippolite Oaxaca. How was the high on those?
If I remember correctly, you grew the AG indoors. How did they do for you?

Right now, I'm thinking I'll probably run a Flo, as they seem to be pretty uniform in habit and effects, and were my favorite from my last run, along with the Purple Malawi mother of my Malawi x Colombian cross. The flowering time is also short enough that I might be able to run another short flowering variety in its spot before the Durbans finish.

I could definitely run a Thai or Laos, as I have plenty more for seed runs later.
I want to do a GDP, UW, or Leb27 for my wife as well.

Of course the Zamal is really tempting too. And the Nepali...

Oy.

Last edited:

covert

Personally I would choose based on what the state of my current stash was. That would be the guiding force for me. That would probably be Flo and Zamal.

djimb

Veteran
Personally I would choose based on what the state of my current stash was. That would be the guiding force for me. That would probably be Flo and Zamal.

That is a big factor in the decision. I burned through the last of my stash a few weeks ago. I moved to a new state at the beginning of my hiatus, and while I had success finding sources in my 20s by knocking on neighbor's doors or asking hippie kids in the park, those aren't my preferred methods any more. Better to just grow my own. It's safer and I can be sure what I'm smoking, not to mention that the kids in the park probably couldn't get the same quality or variety that I can grow.

Dog Star

Veteran
Bodhi AG are better for outdoor,they cant reach those potential indoor...

Starfighter x LBL haved great plant,other folks also haved some keepers..

djimb

Veteran
Bodhi AG are better for outdoor,they cant reach those potential indoor...

Starfighter x LBL haved great plant,other folks also haved some keepers..

Thanks, Dog Star. I'll keep that in mind. I have seen some great looking indoor plants in the AG thread, but they do seem to do best if they're able to get big. I might wait and run a single one of them next time to see how they take to my set up. Do you think light, height, or pot size was your biggest limiting factor?

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Was going to throw my hat in for the Flo, too. Good complement to the effects of a Durban.

I've found a couple of Bodhi strains that just don't care to be indoors- and from Bodhi pics I've seen, he seems to be operating completely outdoors. If I had to say, I think it's the light and the space you have to work with. I think they're just bred to expect all that outdoor can provide.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Personally I would love to see Leb27.
I grew her in my backyard years ago - alt. 55 north.

Best luck whoever you choose :)

P :smoke:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those GN seeds are OLD & only getting older. None I’ve given to friends have popped tails.

You may consider those just because they’re near their end of life. You may not get another opportunity to try those varieties.

djimb

Veteran
Those GN seeds are OLD & only getting older. None I’ve given to friends have popped tails.

You may consider those just because they’re near their end of life. You may not get another opportunity to try those varieties.

That's a great point. I was planning to do those for the next seed run, but it might be a good idea to put 10 in soil and see if any come up, then fill in the rest with Flo and otgers.

djimb

Veteran
After a lot of deliberation, I think I've figured it out. I've decided to run only 4 of the Durbans, so that I can do pairs of three other strains. This way I can increase my chances of getting at least one female of each. I'd hate to start one Flo for stash and have it turn out male, for example.

So Flo is definitely on the list. I'm also really curious about the seeds from the UW mom. There were a couple late nanners on her, which led me think they might be S1s, but I think that if those nanners had been fertile and released pollen, there most likely would have been a lot more seeds. I only found two on the whole plant, which leads me to believe that they're more likely to be the result of my attempts to put the Colombian pollen from a previous grow to use. In fact, while I don't specifically remember pollinating the UW, I know I spread it around pretty liberally in that cab.

I want to preserve as much as I can of that Colombian line. The bag they came from was some of my favorite smoke when I was in South America. I'd love to make F2s of a UW cross and the Malawi cross to hunt through and select the most Colombian leaning individuals to use as P1s for a three way cross that would still be 50% Colombian.

The other strain I'd like to grow this round is the Nepali, as I think it has a lot of potential for crosses with long season NLDs to shorten flower time without introducing too much WLD influence.

I'm still considering tossing 5-10 of the GN Laos seeds in soil just to see if any will germinate. I'll definitely be running those next round, but I want to get a worm bin started first, since Mystic Funk had 65% germ rate with seeds 2-3 times older by just tossing them in a worm bin.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Damn, what a selection of males to revitalize some tired old elites if you wanted. Real durban has to be my favorite high ever too...

djimb

Veteran
The GN Laos has quite a high germination rate despite its age. I guess they were very well stored.
I wish the GN Nepali had such a great germination rate. I couldn't get one of the Nepalis to pop...

You should definitely pop a couple of the Laos. I've found some very special phenos in this line.

Though keep in mind the more different strains you germinate, the harder it will be to reproduce all of them pure.

Have fun!
Nice strain collection BTW!

I've heard the GN Thai Stick of similar vintage germed with 80-90% success a couple years ago, so I do have hope.

I have considered building an isolation chamber out of a heavy duty storage tub with hepa filters on the intake and exhaust to allow a little pollen chucking alongside the pure lines, but we'll see what happens. For now I may just stick to males from the seed lines I want to bulk up and cull any others.
As far as working the two Colombian crosses goes, I'll try to contain any pollen that occurs. If I end up with some Colombian in my Durban or some Durban in my colombian, I won't be upset.

Thanks!

djimb

Veteran
The GN Laos has quite a high germination rate despite its age. I guess they were very well stored.
I wish the GN Nepali had such a great germination rate. I couldn't get one of the Nepalis to pop...

You should definitely pop a couple of the Laos. I've found some very special phenos in this line.

Though keep in mind the more different strains you germinate, the harder it will be to reproduce all of them pure.

Have fun!
Nice strain collection BTW!

I've heard the GN Thai Stick of similar vintage germed with 80-90% success a couple years ago, so I do have hope.

I have considered building an isolation chamber out of a heavy duty storage tub with hepa filters on the intake and exhaust to allow a little pollen chucking alongside the pure lines, but we'll see what happens. For now I may just stick to males from the seed lines I want to bulk up and cull any others.
As far as working the two Colombian crosses goes, I'll try to contain any pollen that occurs. If I end up with some Colombian in my Durban or some Durban in my colombian, I won't be upset.

Thanks!