What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my ACE journey begins

Samuel Caldwell

Howdy ACE fans, thanks for stopping by! I've been hanging out around here for the past few months; reading, studying, learning all I can and trying to decide where to begin. It was a tough decision, everything looks great, but I've gotta start somewhere so...

A brief intro--I was a pretty active around here a few years ago but life changes and such and I had to get away for a bit. Recently, my wife and I sold her condo and are looking for a house where we can set up a nice permanent garden. The market sucks around here right now so we're holed up in a small apartment until something comes along. In the meantime I rigged up a small LED tent in our closet. I grow organic but all the totes of my own supersoil are out in my storage shed so I'm using store-bought organic soils and such. It's working ok for now but I'm looking forward to getting my own tools back.

I've always run regular seeds but feminized seems the way to go for now. My seed starting/veg area is a single LED with a reflector sitting under a desk in the spare bedroom. (essentially, I don't have a separate veg area) I'm giving my seeds about a week of 24/0 to get them started and then they go into the 12/12 tent. I want to start with some good all-around smoke for our everyday use. So after changing my mind about a thousand times I ended up with Tikal and Congo.

Comments on Tikal like these from dubi caught my eye:

...But i also prefer the clear and Tikal uplifting effects over the Panama. And although Panama is in average clearly stronger in potency over Tikal, surprisingly the Tikal cannabinoid analysis are showing higher THC contents in Tikal samples and lesser in Panama, both strains containing interesting CBG amounts too.

If you are curious to explore more the Tikal line, i would recommend you to check the new Tikal fem we have just released: it has much better terpenes, consistency and overall better quality than previous Tikal standard (regular) releases. It's also in our Tikal Breeders Pack where you will find the best expressions that this great sativa hybrid has to offer...

...but i still prefer Tikal's effect over Panama or over any other central american sativa of our catalog. Maybe green Panama phenos have such desirable effect like Tikal.

Komanche never uses internet, but he's always happy when i comment him about the good results that many growers are having with his strain :)

And then there's this classic:

Picked up a cola on it's 9th week and my stoner friends and I all agreed this is some seriously cool sativa, I'll post a real smoke report in a few other weeks but it's fair to say this weed is a keeper, the high is euphoric, makes you want to do stuff, you can be super blasted and still be functional if the giggles don't get the best of you! The smell is superb, you could launch a perfume brand out of these aromas, and then again it wasn't even cured!!
Here's a small bit of the last nug I finished this morning :[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64625&pictureid=1539709&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
:peacock:
Happy xmas everyone!!

Oh god, well maybe not so functional, this is tikal not congo my bad, wish I could delete the post :wtf:

The Congo description from the ACE website, "Premium quality clean, positive and energetic effect, perfect for an open minded, creative and active life style." Sounds great to me!

And some Congo comments:

...Congo release remains with the same genetic background since 2008-2009 and i'm very happy with how it works.
As you said, the effect it's really positive, social, euphoric, but at the same time is not anxious .... feel good weed!
I appreciate a lot these kind of sativa qualities in hybrids.

Wish you enjoy it a lot!

Samuel Caldwell

Quotes that caught my eye, turned me on to Kali China, too. It wasn't really on my radar but dubi speaks very highly of it:

...I'm so glad you and your friends like it so much, as you pointed out Kali China is probably the strain with the most complex and refined terpene profile from our entire catalog (Zamaldelica fem and Panama are close).

Thanks a lot for the feedback ;) Enjoy her!

Zamaldelica has always sounded interesting to me and knowing that it's one of the smelliest, tastiest of the catalog, I just had to grab some, too. Those 2 lines should be a nice complement to the Congo and Tikal, pushing in slightly different directions.

I can't wait to get started. Thanks for all the great info from everyone. Thanks to dubi and crew for being so active and informative. :smoke:

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
It does feel good to grow again after a break. I know I am enjoying tending my new garden.

I haven't yet tried the Congo or Zamaldelica. I've got a Tikal growing now - Dubi sold me on that with his description.

I can vouch for the Kali China. Its got good strength and wonderful fragrance and taste when smoked. It is a keeper for me from now on.

Looking forward to watching your grow.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Samuel Caldwell, Welcome back! I do remember seeing you some years ago. It's good to have you back in the forums. Great selections of your genetics. I hope they turn out well for you and the wife. Having grow seasons put on hold is rough. I hope you are able to find a place soon that suits your passion. Peace

Samuel Caldwell

Thanks, brother, but I was using a different name back then. I figured that I'm basically starting over so I'd start fresh around here, too.

We can't wait to get into a house! We both love gardening, in fact she's much more knowledgeable about it than me. It'll be loads of fun when we find the right place. Once we get set up I plan on picking up a lot more seeds to celebrate. I can't wait to start keeping mom's and chucking pollen again! Fun times!

Samuel Caldwell

Thanks, Claude. I've seen and appreciate your posts. I research a lot and read everything I can find. Like you, I started noticing comments from dubi and I figure he knows better than anyone else so if he says something is good then I should pay attention.

I've got a bunch of old seeds in my stash but they weren't stored properly and I'm having troubles getting them to germinate. My plan was to run them until we moved but since they're not popping...buy some seeds! :D

Another comment from dubi that helped convince me:

Hi,

I'm glad you are enjoying with the aromas of your Kali Chinas :)
I also think Kali China has probably the most complex and interesting terpene profile of our entire catalogue...

Last edited:

Samuel Caldwell

Another great Congo review. I can't wait to get started!
If anyone is even remotely thinking about growing Congo - do it. I had two ladies, one short and one taller, flipped them at 5 weeks and they took off, quick to flower but very little stretch. My initial smoke was at 4 weeks after the chop - whoa! Three nice tokes and I was doing laps inside my house bouncing from one thing to another, could hardly make my mind up what I wanted to wear out to dinner that night. That lasted about 20 minutes and then it turned into a very long lasting euphoric high. Very social and in tune with the conversation - music was awesome! Most cannabis actually keeps me from eating however this did not which could be bad or good depending on your situation :)
This is now one of my favorites but my wife loves it too so I need to watch my harvest closely.
Thanks Dubi and Ace!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
SC, you can't go wrong with ACE seeds as a starting point. Their catalog may not suit the weed snob, but for anybody getting back into growing you will find mostly easy to grow plants with good mind and body effects.

The only people I've known that didn't like ACE gear were heavy smokers with really high tolerances that were used to WLD effects.

orfeas

Veteran
I've turned quite sceptic about people's comments on strains and I now take them with a pinch(or two) of salt...I might be highly demanding...tolerance could be another factor along side "burnt" lungs...haven't greened out for a long time now...don't know really, but no strain has turned out the way I read it commented either by dubi himself or other highly respected growers...yet, no Ace strain has ever let me down all the way...
I am pretty sure you're gonna have lots of fun...

So, welcome to the machine! :biggrin:

:tiphat:Orfeas

Samuel Caldwell

Thanks for the replies!

Great news--my seeds arrived today! All looks good, just gotta decide what to start first. My tent is pretty small, 4 plants will fill it nicely, but I've only got room to start 2 right now since one of my old Satori seeds finally popped as well as a fairly recent purple haze bagseed. Pretty sure I'll start with one Tikal and one KC but we'll see.

Thanks to the crew at Ace for the super fast shipping! I can't wait to get started!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I'm confused ? Weed snob

I'm confused ? Weed snob

SC, you can't go wrong with ACE seeds as a starting point. Their catalog may not suit the weed snob, but for anybody getting back into growing you will find mostly easy to grow plants

Dawn Patrol, I guess I don't know the meaning of weed snob. Or at least in the manner you are using it. Or maybe I don't understand what genetics you are comparing Ace's genetics to.
Snob to me would be someone whom demands the best, or thinks they already have the best. I've been growing for ten years now. I in no way consider myself a master grower/breeder like Dubi, DJ Short, Chimera or Mike and Jasmine at Mandala.
I agree with the easy to grow plants. Not because sativas are easy to grow by any means. In my opinion Ace genetics are easier just because of the quality of genetics Ace provides for their customers.
Kindly, elaborate your point of view. Please
If Ace is a starting point? What genetics are you moving up to?
I find it hard to believe that Old Timers Haze, Panama, Malawi, Vietnam Black, Thai's and Guatemala are entry level genetics for beginner growers and palates. I thank you for your time and clarification. Peace :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Samuel Caldwell, My apologies to you for being what could be perceived as confrontational. I take offense when I feel a friend has been slighted, demeaned or belittled in any way. (unjustly) I could be totally out of place as well. Dawn Patrol may have the keys to the Garden of Eden. For all I / we know, he is overseeing Gods Heavenly genetics. That I a mere mortal am not worthy to even know about. Ok I'm doing it again. Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome back Samuel Caldwell :tiphat:

Thanks for placing an order with us, much appreciated.
I'm glad you received your seeds fast and in good condition.

Congo and Tikal are great sativa choices, they are very well tamed and highly worked sativa dom hybrids that provide great uplifting and positive effects, perfect for daily use.

Kali China is one of my favourite from ACE Seeeds catalog, especially regarding terpene profile and growing traits. But it's more on the indica side.

Best wishes and have a great start of summer! :)

Samuel Caldwell

Thanks, dubi!

I've only got room to start 2 plants right now so Tikal and KC hit the dirt first. I'll post updates as things move along. My long-term plans include lots more reg seeds--Malawi, Durban, Panama, Bangi Haze and Golden Tiger just off the top of my head so you'll probably be seeing me around here for awhile. :smoke:

Samuel Caldwell

My KC seed has sprouted a tail already! That was super fast! Still waiting on the Tikal. I'll check them again this evening after work and drop them into some dirt at that time.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Mind if I tag along for the ride? I've got some ACE beans incoming and I couldn't be more excited. I need to start paying rent on the ACE forum since I'm spending so much time here!

Cheers,

Kas

Samuel Caldwell

All are welcome around here, Kas! What do you have coming?

My KC had a nice white tap root, maybe 1 cm, so she got buried in some dirt tonight! Tikal? Nothing happening yet. I'll give her another day or two before I try another one. Hope she pops!

Kaskadian

Veteran
All are welcome around here, Kas! What do you have coming?

My KC had a nice white tap root, maybe 1 cm, so she got buried in some dirt tonight! Tikal? Nothing happening yet. I'll give her another day or two before I try another one. Hope she pops!

Thanks for the welcome Sam! I'm excited to see how things go for you. I hope you'll include some pictures eventually. Hopefully your Tikal pops soon!

I've got Green Haze, Mangobiche, and Purple Haze x Honduras on the way. Super excited to give these a try! Especially the Green Haze which Terpene described as "smokable caffeine".

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts