What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aliens? maybe, maybe not

igrowone

Veteran
this is the link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/15/world/extraterrestrial-intelligence-anomaly/index.html

but for those who hate links, here's a snapshot

(CNN)The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute has its eyes -- and soon possibly one of the United States' premier telescopes -- focused on an anomaly that some astronomers can't quite explain.

Users on the online astronomy crowdsourcing interface, Planet Hunters, discovered a peculiar light pattern between the Cygnus and Lyra constellations a few years ago. The group uses publicly available data gathered by NASA's Kepler Telescope, which has been tasked with finding Earth-like planets by searching for the periodic dimming of stars that might suggest such a planet is passing by.

The discovery of a strange star could mean alien life 01:46

After a number of users noticed the peculiarity, it was sent to the group's advisory science team that includes Yale postdoctoral astronomy student Tabetha Boyajian.
"It did definitely spark some lively discussions on the talk boards. We scrolled through the discussion boards and superusers, and they let us know that there's something we should be watching out for," Boyajian says.
"What was unusual about that was the depth of the light dips, up to 20% decrease in light, and the timescales (of light variation) -- a week to a couple of months."
So what's the explanation? Could it be from a swarm of comets? Some sort of intergalactic phenomenon that Earthbound scientists haven't discovered yet? Or an effect of planet-sized structures built by some sort of alien civilization?

NASA: Proof of alien life closer 01:08

Jason Wright, a Penn State astronomy professor, saw Boyajian's data and can't quite explain it. But in a post Thursday to his website, he cautioned against jumping to conclusions -- as some apparently have -- that intelligent beings far away are behind this oddity.
"My philosophy of SETI," Wright wrote, referring to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, "is that you should reserve your alien hypothesis as a last resort." He also cited "Cochran's Commandment to planet hunters ... : Thou shalt not embarrass thyself and they colleagues by claiming false planets."
"It would be such a big deal if true, it's important that you be absolutely sure before claiming you've detected something, lest everybody lose credibility," the astronomer added. "Much more so for SETI.
Comet swarm or sign of alien intelligence?

The star, identified by researchers as KIC 8462852 -- though Wright calls it "Tabby's star" and his team labels it the "WTF star," after the subtitle to Boyajian's paper, "Where's the flux?" -- is roughly 1,465 light-years from Earth, or about 8.6 quadrillion miles.
Along with a group of colleagues, Boyajian published an academic paper last month about the star and concluded the light peculiarities could have been the result of comet fragments.
This is "a plausible but contrived natural explanation," according to Wright.
"I would put low odds on that being the right answer," the Penn State astronomer said. "But it's by far the best one I've seen so far (and much more likely than aliens, I'd say)."
Boyajian herself stressed "the necessity of future observations to help interpret the system," which is why she and her cohorts took the paper to Andrew Siemion, the head of the University of California-Berkeley's SETI Group. They wanted answers, and they said top-notch telescopes were needed to get them.
"At first I thought they were absolutely nuts -- it wasn't until they told me their data had been vetted by the Kepler team at NASA," Siemion said.
The California-based astronomer, who's been working on the search for extraterrestrial intelligence for about 10 years, called the findings "very atypical."
"This is one of maybe only two or three times we've been contacted by an astronomer who says there's something we don't understand," he said. "It is a very strange object."

St. Phatty

they are already here

True.

SETI is mostly bullshit.

I had an interview with the US gov. in 1994 - initially regarding computer graphics work - where ET became the subject.

The network engineer interviewing me said he participated in a UFO abduction support group. Which sounded crazy. However, his technical skill level and building access (to the HQ building of one of the world's largest telecom firms) showed that at least, he had his feet on the ground, during working hours at least.

There are a number of references for this subject. One is "Above Top Secret", by Brit. Author Timothy Goode. Based entirely on reports from uniformed service personnel.

Another example ... January 1995, SJ Merc News. Very short press release, US gov. admits recovering manufactured objects considered to be non-terrestrial in origin ... in New Mexico in 1947. AKA Roswell.

There is sort of a "Gap" between the rather boring press releases, the first person reports, and the dramatization that is usually presented in the Mainstream media.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bookmark Project Camelot Kerry Cassidy interviews many black op whistleblowers

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Earth is the Florida of the Milky Way.

No advanced beings will bother with earth, it's dirty and
has little to offer technology wise.

meh.

igrowone

Veteran
gotta love a mystery, and this is pretty mysterious
probably some strange natural phenomena, but that looks about as unlikely as artificial constructions
the dimming seen was around 20%, which either means super large object(s) far away from the star
or something(s) very close, and are still big assed
nothing is coming to mind from the hard core science prophets, they've gone through the usual suspects
this can only get better

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Im a firm believer in Aliens and I basically feel aliens have been interacting with Earth since the beginning. I don't believe in Divine Creation but I do believe in Divine Inspiration.

floralheart

Veteran
aliens are known for having a horrible taste in music and films. Notorious for producing shit, low quality culture. They're fond of eating garbage.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the real question is do alien women have boobs?????? yeehaw..earth is the cancer of the universe I bet the aliens make jokes about us...

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
the real question is do alien women have boobs?????? yeehaw..earth is the cancer of the universe I bet the aliens make jokes about us...

lursa-betor-generations.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Earth is the Florida of the Milky Way.

No advanced beings will bother with earth, it's dirty and
has little to offer technology wise.

meh.

I'm not so sure about that..
As of this year, there were 7.3 billion slaves available on this planet, ready for an advanced civilization to capture and carry home with them...

I'd call that a pretty valuable resource, just prime to be exploited...

Space Toker

Veteran
Regardless of whatever this event turns out to be, alien life should be very common... basically most places that CAN support life probably DO support life. Intelligent life (I would argue at times that we should get over ourselves and can't be "intelligent" if we slave for others and hurt and kill each other)... well that may be another story. Some think that too is fairly common, others think it is very rare or even unique. I would like to think there are lots of civilizations out there who figured out how to get along and cooperate for the common good, and now they are advanced enough that they don't want their presence to be known and can hide evidence of their existence. I also like to think some would share and be helpful. Any civilization that is discoverable then may be one that hasn't advanced far enough or is arrogant or manevolent and feels invincable and those are the ones we have to watch out for!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
She is a black op. It's like inception. The CIA addition. I keep falling asleep, and waking up next to edith piaf.

Need to see your proof, or you're just another disinfo agent: Nothing to see here.

I've been following her for daily many years now. She has helped me tremendously to wake up

St. Phatty

Regardless of whatever this event turns out to be, alien life should be very common... basically most places that CAN support life probably DO support life. Intelligent life (I would argue at times that we should get over ourselves and can't be "intelligent" if we slave for others and hurt and kill each other)... well that may be another story.

Water on Mars is one example (liquid water being the home for so many organisms.)

Water is simply what you get when you burn Hydrogen.

Earth has plenty of water.

When the solar system was formed, did Mars get left out of the water rationing ? Earth got it and Saturn got it (enough for rings) - and Mars didn't ?! I don't think so.

Mercury has a good excuse for being low on water - it's too hot.

Mars is a little cold, so water will tend to be non-frozen in areas of geothermal activity (bubbling hot spring type areas).

Life tends to occur in a group or as an "oasis" ... water + sun provides food for plants, little bugs eat plants, plants provide cover for a little frog, frog eats bugs, frog droppings and bug droppings provide food for plants.

Definitely, the intelligent life on Earth question is a WHOLE nother issue.

Space Toker

Veteran
skipping to the last point first... yes and and an issue that needs addressing for sure!
Now back to the beginning.. the water find on Mars was very profound... I think they thought/think most Mars water (Mars may once have had plenty of water and mb still does as I explain now) was evaporated into space, but instead most may have gone underground instead and who knows what lurks down there? Mercury has more water than thought in shadowed craters, also intriguing... as is that even hellish Venus could host Earth-like conditions in the atmosphere... add Enceladus and Europa and mb even Pluto and a moon or two of both Uranus and Saturn to the mix, and you have a whole lot of possibilities indeed! Maybe others are too pessimistic about life in the universe and I may be the other extreme, but I think the future is full of awesome discovery indeed!