What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tangie, is it hype or is it legit

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
What makes Tangie and it's relatives so unique is the sesquiterpenoid Valencene. It has a boiling point of 253 degrees Fahrenheit so it retains it's flavor in processed extracts.

Ditto. With all due respect, I don't trust DNA or this Crockett character as far as you could throw them. While it's most plausible Tangie is descendant of Cali-O stock, it seems hard to refute Barney's introducing it to market. Their account is the version I lean towards believing, but when all parties involved have their own agendas it's a rabbit hole. I have yet to read someone make sense about it's history.

-Kanza
tbh theres nothing unique about orange lines agent orange has been around for ages and is an amazing strain for taste and smell. calio, dago walker, tangie now.. loads of orange strains around before the hype of these. Bodhi has his cali o crosses too.
im pretty sure they have even said they used the calio cut in the crosses.

I love tangie did/can anyone post a terpine test on her? Does anyone know which terpenes she contains? I heard theirs two and limonene is one.

By the way I have met crockett and aaron at multiple cups (not friends just met a few times), They are both very friendly and easy to talk to. I have nothing but great things to say about the few times I met them.
Aaron speaks at a lot of the cannabis cups educating others on cultivation or other cannabis related information.

What are Bodhi's Cali-O crosses?

blood orange (ae77 x appalachia)
cali-yo (ae77 x yo mama)
ae77 is his cali-o hybrid a orange skunk from 1977 named cali-o.
I haven't tried any of them (their may be more I don't know about to). Bodhi is a great breeder in my opinion would be nice to hear more about his cali-o crosses.
Would be cool to see some cali-o s1's.
I have tried tangie and its lovely. Stronger orange taste than jilly bean and agent orange ( two other wonderful orange strains that everyone should try at least once).

What makes Tangie and it's relatives so unique is the sesquiterpenoid Valencene. It has a boiling point of 253 degrees Fahrenheit so it retains it's flavor in processed extracts.

-Kanza

How do you know? Did you get a terpene test or are you guessing based off your information on valencene and your experience smoking tangie?

I am not trying to insult you I only ask because I love terpenes, tangie, and I have a medical condition these more orange strains seems to be helping me with.

TangieFan

I took the time necessary and registered here to say that I have to agree with this (really old) last post. I also have a few medical conditions, mainly pain, stress and anxiety (ADHD?) Anyway, I have smoked daily for many years, and there's something unique about Tangie every time I smoke it. I really can't explain it, and IMHO it's gotta be something to do with the terpenes of the strain and the way it interacts with the THC. I have read of scientific studies demonstrating that terpenes mixed with 50% THC were more potent than pure THC. I believe they're just at the beginning of understanding how terpenes effect the psychoactive profile of the high.

psyphish

Veteran
Is there any point in growing Tangie if you don't have a sense of smell and your sense of taste is all messed up? I grew a Sweet Seeds Cream Mandarine F1 FV and everyone that has tried it says it smells and tastes amazing, high-wise it's total crap. Are Tangie concentrates winning cups because of the aromas or is the potency / high somehow unique?

[edit] Most strains don't hit me hard now that I can't smell anything, do you need to sense the terpenes for them to have an effect?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Tangie Should cut through. .... as far as oil potency is basically a given if u got a decent techniques as ur extracting the goodies.. less potent bud may yield good amt less but still potent as fuck oil u get what u put in.. wen it comes down to extracts the most important part is maintaining terpernes... imo not much difference between dabbin 70 or 80% ers in effect its all bout flava n workability n the oil game..

TangieFan

David Watson, the master crafter of the foundational hybrid Skunk #1, was among the first to emphasize the importance of aromatic terpenes for their modifying impact on THC. Terpenes, or terpenoids, are the compounds in cannabis that give the plant its unique smell. THC and the other cannabinoids have no odor, so marijuana’s compelling fragrance depends on which terpenes predominate. It’s the combination of terpenoids and THC that endows each strain with a specific psychoactive flavor.

In 1989, Watson and his business partner, Robert Connell Clarke, formed HortaPharm, a legally chartered, Holland-based research company that specializes in botanical science and cannabis therapeutics. Based in Amsterdam, these two American expatriates broke new ground in horticultural pharmacology as they crossed and recrossed thousands of cannabis varietals, discarding most along the way while selecting a relatively small number for further development.

How did they decide which plants made the first cut? “We smelled them,” Watson explains.

He had long suspected that the terpenes present in cannabis resin enhance the potency of THC. Ten years after launching HortaPharm, Watson tested his hypothesis in an experiment that compared the subjective effects of 100 percent THC to lesser amounts in terpene-infused cannabis resin. The consensus among Watson and several associates: Terpene-infused resin with 50 percent THC was more potent by dry weight than an equivalent amount of pure THC.

Typically, terpenes are volatile molecules that evaporate easily and readily announce themselves to the nose. Therein lies the basis of aromatherapy, a popular alternative-healing modality. Like their odorless cannabinoid cousins, terpenes are oily compounds secreted in the marijuana plant’s glandular trichomes. Terpenes and THC share a biochemical precursor, geranyl pyrophosphate, which develops into the cannabinoids and terpenoids that saturate the plant’s flower tops.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/talking-terpenes

TangieFan

It is all very fascinating to me. I found this thread specifically googling for content that matched the last post before I signed up. As a daily smoker I must've tried dozens of strains by now, yet not even the heaviest indicas I've tried have come close to touching the medical effects I get from Tangie. Is it our body chemistry? The terpenes? Both? Why is it so good for some and not for others?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
tangie tastes and smells like tangerines. it isnt very potent smoke, but it makes great bho and rosin. it is worth growing for that reason alone

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
all my friend think the same.. tga agent orange selection and not the best,, if u lucky u can find a 9 weeker super tangi smell from tga.. most DNA (crocket s) need more
The Tangie clone predates TGA's Agent Orange.

I had tangerine since 2007, She was from bagseed i found in a pound of Tangerine Dream from 2006. We sold thousands of clones of it around the bay area that year. we just called it "tangerine". At the time nobody had ever seen anything like it, smell and taste was straight tangerines, and she finished in 7-8 weeks. Theres no evidence to support it, but myself and a few other people think my cut was the one crockett used for his Tangie line.

...she clones easily and grows/flowers EXTREMELY rapidly indoors and out. one of my favorite strains to grow, and i've seen a few :)

my buddy liked the Tangerine clones i gave him so much he filled 3 rooms with it, and has been runnign nothing but tanj for a year now with no complaints. The flavor is unique and uncommon, literally reeking of fresh tangerines.

any other qeustions about the Tangerine just ask.

I have a few pictures of the original Tangerine Mother, the pheno that we took cuttings from which spawned this and many other rooms. She was a beauty, grown in full Cali sun. I will try to find the pics and post them
this is the Tangerine bagseed mom from last summer (2007) which started it all. Little 5 gallon pot and she grew as big as me :laughing: crazy mendo genetics...
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/53477IMG_0602-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

here's another picture, the two little plants in the foreground are clones of the big plant
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/53477IMG_0605-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

I had tangerine since 2007, She was from bagseed i found in a pound of Tangerine Dream from 2006. We sold thousands of clones of it around the bay area that year. we just called it "tangerine". At the time nobody had ever seen anything like it, smell and taste was straight tangerines, and she finished in 7-8 weeks. Theres no evidence to support it, but myself and a few other people think my cut was the one crockett used for his Tangie line.

I believe u... in my opinion no matter who sells it.. but mostly the new banks cant add something more rather take from the original.. anyway we have to work what we have..I have 6 fem tangi from DNA, and waiting for tga AO... than I compare.. and will make my justice.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
tangerine kush is some nice one also...

found a pheno that is incredible in smoke.... its the only strain that i dont see again after i rolled some :D

pure orange/tangerine smell, no other smells at all

S

sourpuss

I believe u... in my opinion no matter who sells it.. but mostly the new banks cant add something more rather take from the original.. anyway we have to work what we have..I have 6 fem tangi from DNA, and waiting for tga AO... than I compare.. and will make my justice.

First u say its the same then you say youve just bought both to vompare. So what is it then mate?

Ive smoked both. Aint the same. Both great fucking weed. Ill take tangie for the dankness over agent. Differwnt taste smell looks and effect. Pretty obvious its different.

Tangie for the win for sure. Imo both carry citrus names. Tangie lives up to it name in flav. Maybe its the dankness as well I love. If agent o had similar dankness it would be close but tangie is more loud orange flavs...

SocalNugz

Just wait till ya all get a taste of Tha orange glue! (Agent orange x gorilla glue#4)
Tastes like orange crush soda an has great potency!!!!
If relentless ever releases these beans orange lovers would be seriously slipping if you passed on these.
Just wait till I get my orange glue cut concentrates kickin in a cup or two ;)
Tangie..... Your day is over.

i actually just passed on a cut of the tangie today for a og cut.. maybe ill go back and get it cuz im currently working on a orange strain with a jilly bean x herijuana og male that i bred.. originally i wanted to hit the male to some potent cuts like og and bubba and try to retain some of the orangeish.

also have seeds of agent orange x herijuana og that i bred but i was always more impressed with the jilly bean over the agent orange so i chose to go that route.. love the flavor.

now i gotta try this tangie and see if the orange flavors stack up. that might be a good strain.. tangie x jilly bean/herijuana og. we'll see.

Jillybean, Agent Orange, and Tangie!? man thats a dream come true.