What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ph down directly into nutes??

Friend of mine was trying to help me feed.. he’s never frown before. I was explaining to him about having to ph the water down before putting my sensi coco in. Well he took that as put ph down directly into the bottle... are the nutes just garbage now??

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Quite possibly. I wouldn't use them anymore if it were me in that situation. Count your losses. Also, don't ask that person to help you anymore. :dunno:

Mart

Hi :tiphat:
If only say 10ml of ph down has gone into a 1 ltr bottle I would just crack on but give a lower dosage of nutes to see if anything does occur but I would not think so_Obviously you would still need to ph your feed.

:)

It was more than 10ml not sure exactly how much but for sure more... advanced emailed me back and stated that it should be fine that it will correct itself a few hours after being mixed. So idk lol

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I do it on purpose.
Use some, and see where the pH lands. Maybe he has made your food better.

I wish I knew how much he used. But with what AN rep said sounded like it didn’t matter if I filled half the bottle up with it lol

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Don't trash those nutes, very easy to compensate EC
with a baseline from an unaltered bottle.

Spaz move though.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Mix the nutes as usual, test the pH prior to using and adjust the pH accordingly. :tiphat:

That's about it hopefully.

If the pH drops so low it's useless, try this: Take your bottle of feed, and a new unpolluted bottle. Mix equal quantities of each(maybe 20ml of each for a bucket), and call that your new feed. Then go back to Troutman's post, and try again.

All your doing is diluting the acid, by adding more feed. The plan is to find the ratio that leaves you with the pH you want. At the highest EC your likely to reach.

If he has poured half a liter of acid in your 5L bottle of feed, you might have problems. Half a liter can correct quite a few 5L bottles.

Edit: I have another option. Add feed to a bucket until you get to the right pH. If the feed required to do this, took you from ec0.2 to ec0.4 then you know it was a ec0.2 load of food. If you usually run ec1.4 then you need your acid diluting quite a bit. It's a ballpark figure though. Due to the logarithmic nature of the pH scale. Which, incidentally, my pH meters never seem to fully appreciate. If at all.

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
Hmm, let's see - there's "Penny wise, Dollar foolish" or "throwing good money after bad" or you can go with the famous "What, me worry?"

J-Icky

The big concern would be the acid forming new salts with the nutes and possibly separating. If it isn’t too acidic and there isn’t new particulate sitting at the bottom of the bottle then I’d say no worries and just adjust the amount of PH down you need to use.
If there is separation then I’d say the bottle is trash as you have no real way to know which nute/s have become insoluble and at what amounts.
One last thought is that even without separating I’d still keep an eye out for Phosphorus toxicity(assuming the PH down used is phosphoric acid). Theoretically it is possible for the acid to form new salts, nitrates and sulfates becoming phosphates and causing an imbalance in your feed.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
True Icky, but the manufacturer has been asked, and says it's fine. My manufacturer puts more acid in their hard water versions. I myself put acid in to correct the bottle, rather than correcting every dose I take from it. It has implications for automated dosing, as it's one less piece of dosing equipment if the pH is fine. I tried adding PK and that was an instant disaster. Which I found surprising. It looked like I poured curdled milk in.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
LOL thats too funny!

Would IMO be really nice to know what bottle and whan kind of pH down, then some of us might be able to tell you what happend in the bottle.

I would not use that bottle, not knowing what have reacted.

And don't trust AN/GHE sales ppl, they unfortunet know IME very little about the products and the chemestry behind mixing nutrients.

Last year GHE tried their best to explain, that Gro nutes with solids in the jug was okay LOL. Up to the point where I told them, the education and background I have, all of the sudden I was refunded and given a different treatment.
So if you don't know, there is a chance they will BS you.

AN once tried to sell me additives for my aeroponic, containing particles larger then my misters.

You can't always trust what sales rep's are pushing, cos they most times have little to no experiance with what they are talking about :D

They are parrots, trained to talk for the most part.

Ask a chemist what happens, when you mix the chemicals in your bottles. If he say it's okay, id trust that but not some sales rep.

In the end, id prolly just toss the nutes and buy a new bottle.

How much was the seeds, and all the shit your mate put into this? Is it worth the risk, of fucking it all over.
Cos of a 10$ bottle of nutes or what ever it cost?

IMO it's not!