What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Florida seeks to limit strength of smokable medical marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ess than a month after Florida lifted a ban on smokable medical marijuana, a House committee approved a bill to limit the strength of marijuana flowers available to patients who want to smoke their medicine.
The House Health and Human Services Committee voted Wednesday to cap THC levels in smokable medical marijuana at 10 percent over the objection of patient advocates who said stronger marijuana is already on the market and limiting strength will hurt patients and boost black market pot sales. Republicans supported the cap and Democrats opposed it.
Committee Chairman Ray Rodrigues said studies have shown marijuana with THC levels above 10 percent can induce psychosis in some users and THC levels below that amount have been effective for medical use. He turned aside the suggestion that Florida should study the effects of high-THC marijuana on patients before placing limits on it.
"It's new to us; the program itself is not new. Marijuana has been used for medicinal purposes in the United States for more than 20 years," Rodrigues said. "There is science there that says we should have serious concerns."
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod" data-load-type="method" data-load-method="trb.vendor.nativo.init" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100" data-adloader-networktype="nativo" data-v-ntidd="1069721">
</aside><aside class="trb_em trb_embed" data-role="sc_item imgsize_ratiosizecontainer " data-content-slug="os-ne-medical-marijuana-thc-cap-20190402" data-content-id="116217421" data-state="" data-content-subtype="story" data-content-type="story" data-content-size="small">
</aside>Thirty-four states allow medical use of marijuana, and Rodrigues said 14 states place limits on THC levels. He said most are lower than 10 percent proposed in the committee's bill.
But several medical marijuana patient advocates argued against the legislation.
"It blocks access to the current strength of medical marijuana that has helped thousands of patients in the state already. The bill is only going to increase the cost for patients. It's going to drive the underground market up," said Melissa Villar of Holistic Marijuana Community.
More than 200,000 patients have medical marijuana identification cards, though smokable forms of the plant only became available last month. Voters approved medical marijuana in 2016, but the Legislature placed a ban on smoking it. That ended when Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill ending the ban, which had been ruled unconstitutional by a judge.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod" data-load-type="method" data-load-method="trb.vendor.nativo.init" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100&topOffset=1500" data-v-ntidm="1069739"></aside>Republican Rep. Cyndi Stevenson argued that high-THC marijuana could make some people violent.
"It's appropriate if we use caution," she said. "The idea that we would put a stamp of approval on something that enhances violence, perhaps, even if it's a small fraction of the community, is something that should give us all pause."
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-ap-house-marijuana-rules-20190403-story.html

rolandomota

Veteran
Now they got to fight this to go away it's also unconstitutional the cbd Only states set the limit low it's not the same. Or Grow tons of no ceiling 10 %pure Sativa year round

dddaver

Veteran
FL really sucks. These bible thumping conservative rednecks think they should tell everyone else how to live while they themselves are morally decrepit. This is a perfect example of why I will never have anything to do with any government sanctioned rules about cannabis or anything.

soil margin

Veteran
Retards do stupid shit. The state known worldwide for giving away oxycodone pills like they were fucking candy is concerned about that scary marijuana causing psychosis and violence, and needs to limit the strength of weed to keep everyone safe.

Get the fuck out of here.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Retards do stupid shit. The state known worldwide for giving away oxycodone pills like they were fucking candy is concerned about that scary marijuana causing psychosis and violence, and needs to limit the strength of weed to keep everyone safe.

Get the fuck out of here.

yeah, these dickheads have had control for so long, it terrifies them to feel it slipping away. courts will probably slap them down on this as well. :woohoo:

starke

It's times like this that make me want to hang my head in shame for being a Floridian. :dunno:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
FL really sucks. These bible thumping conservative rednecks think they should tell everyone else how to live while they themselves are morally decrepit. This is a perfect example of why I will never have anything to do with any government sanctioned rules about cannabis or anything.

When I spent a winter in southern Florida I saw mostly mud truck driving oxy eating rednecks. And old people, never ending supply of old people.

theJointedOne

Veteran
"It's appropriate if we use caution," she said. "The idea that we would put a stamp of approval on something that enhances violence, perhaps, even if it's a small fraction of the community, is something that should give us all pause."

so what about booze you bitch?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
14 in 100,000 people are said to be at risk of canna induced psychosis. Therefore the other 99,986 should face prosecution and therefore untold damage to their employment, family and social lives if they don't reduce the strength of what they smoke, to the levels thought safer for those 14.

Sounds like typical civil service logic.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
So glad I got the fuck out of there. I remember everyone telling me, "Dude, medical marijuana's on the ballot, don't go anywhere!" and I was all like, "Yeah, you'll see."

They're seeing.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
This is what happens when you trust the government to do the right thing.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Take your stupid bills and laws and ram 'em up where the sun don't shine.

I never took your advice before, for almost 50 years, when it came to me smoking weed..
Think I'm gonna listen to you now?

Don't tell me what to do...ya fuckin' hypocrites...:moon:

iBogart

Veteran

so what about booze you bitch?

I was going to respond to the same quote. This is reefer madness 101.

Badfishy1

What’s really interesting is you can go to a dispensary and buy 90%+ thc distillate. Basically, one of big pharmas paid stooges got a visit and was told to push this shit... fucking kunts

Latest posts

Latest posts