What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

mountainoutlaw

Cured and ready, going to roll these in kif and pistils before cure next go round, and also completely de stem.
Here is my malawi cob compared to the ever popular moonrock
IMG_20231013_214239938_HDR.jpg

And some inside action
IMG_20231013_212614973_HDR.jpg

I especially want to thank you for sharing this method and starting this thread, by far the coolest thing Ive done in a while.
-mtn outlaw

Tangwena

Veteran
Have you ever seen a suitcase after a customs inspection?
Thats my mind so dont stress you have a ways to go yet.
REALLY HIGH AT THE MOMENT SO PLEASE FORGIVE THE ABOVE
I find it hard enough to handle on its own but rolled in Kief your going to get really fucked up ha ha.
Shit this computer is running away with my mind ha ha. Its all getting too much to handle ha ha.
Cured and ready, going to roll these in kif and pistils before cure next go round, and also completely de stem.
Here is my malawi cob compared to the ever popular moonrock
View attachment 18903835

And some inside action
View attachment 18903836

I especially want to thank you for sharing this method and starting this thread, by far the coolest thing Ive done in a while.
-mtn outlaw
I find it hard enough to handle on its own but rolled in Kief your going to get really fucked up ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Yeah, I wasn't to sure if it was a good idea or not. So far so good!!! I think....:dunno:
When they are being formed in a cylinder the way they are they seem to need the pressure to stick together.
How do you think it would affect the aging process??
I'm not very well packed and I'm not aging so good!!!!:unsure:

Looking good!

Mine are compacted pretty hard also; they age just fine, although my friends that smoke them don't like the heavily compacted ones as much because they are more difficult to grind.

jroadytoady

@Buzzzzd Re: Cherry Wood ... are you going to cure in that too? It would be awesome if the smell permeated the cob. Can't beat the smell of cherry wood.

Speaking of meat smoking, has anyone tried smoke curing theirs as mentioned in the article about the original Malawi Cobs? I'm thinking it could be done with the cold smoke kits made for salmon... I don't think they really need it but for those of us that like wood smoke flavor, might be something to try.

1697313633630.png

Buzzzzd

Thanks to all who have guided me along this journey!!! It is much appreciated. :thank you:
Just to add to others need for info...I placed three of the Pipe packed cobs in a small jar with a hydrometer last nite and this morning showed 55% and then I checked with my little El cheapo moisture meter and it showed between 6 - 8% with the prongs inserted about an 1/8". They are now vacpaked and curing.

Buzzzzd

Cherry Wood ... are you going to cure in that too?
I'm thinking I may do a couple more as harvest progresses and I have pondered curing and even storing in the wood mold. My thought was that wood is a natural germ killer but I will probably sweat, then dry the cob out of the mold then re insert and do a cure but store in vacpak....Baby steps.... :whee:
My feeling is that the wood will absorb excess moisture during sweat but I think it would be better to dry both cob and mold before starting the cure........
Ya know it just occurred to me that I always seem to try bending the rules or norms before I have even got used to the norms!! :dunno:

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm thinking I may do a couple more as harvest progresses and I have pondered curing and even storing in the wood mold. My thought was that wood is a natural germ killer but I will probably sweat, then dry the cob out of the mold then re insert and do a cure but store in vacpak....Baby steps.... :whee:
My feeling is that the wood will absorb excess moisture during sweat but I think it would be better to dry both cob and mold before starting the cure........
Ya know it just occurred to me that I always seem to try bending the rules or norms before I have even got used to the norms!! :dunno:
Yeah just beware of mold in the wood mold its perfect habitat.

Shua1991

IMG_20231012_154151.jpg

I'm going to be harvesting and fermenting this pheno in 2 days, I quasi-fermented it last harvest, I dried it 3 days till leaves got crispy stems were still slightly bendy, then vacuum sealed it for two weeks opened it, let it sweat in a jar for a day and then resealed it for another 2 weeks, the buds became like flower chips, flat and sticky, all the flavors were preserved and amplified but not close to the effect of a cob until week 6-7 in the sealed bag, I smoked it all before I saw week 8 😂, the flavors kept getting more pronounced, like a mild anaerobic fermentation.

I've seen one method I want to try, cheesecloth wrapped cob flowers buried in sterilized(microwaved to kill spores) vermiculite, then vacuum sealed. The cheese cloth allows sweating and the vermiculite provides a sterile "whiskey barrel" kind of slow sweat process, you don't open the cheese cloth or dab it to dry it, you just dry and sterilize new vermiculite(or the same) to allow the fermenting process to slow, swap a bag with dry vermiculite and the slow dry continues, vermiculite retains humidity really well. The only problem is, you have to test your vermiculite for asbestos contamination or have a source that tests their own vermiculite and it can cost $30 just to test a bag on your own, I learned this making Brown rice flower cakes to grow cubensis. Strange how much stuff is contaminated.
vigoro-grow-media-100536863-c3_1000.jpg

I used this stuff before and it passed the $30 test last time so I think they're safe to use this time.

Last edited:

ProfessorLefty

I know some of my cobs (Mulanje) I like the taste of the chew so much I want a big wad to chew.
But I know I only need a tiny piece to get very high all day.
Its the only thing that disappoints me ha ha.
I sniff the cob enjoying the fine aromas then can only slice off the smallest piece to chew or I'm not here ha ha.
I’ve got 6 30g cobs of RQS Dance World from June cooking right now (12% THC/12% CBD), bet It’ll take a bigol plug of that—6 months this coming December, I’ll let you know 😁

HCMPA

Hi there, I'm planning to cob some Malawi this year, I have it all figured out and ready, just one thing is ringing the bell of my wonders: I always wash my plants just as fast as I chop them, I wash them with hydrogen peroxide (edit: around 100ml per 10 liters of water) and sodium bicarbonate (a couple of spoons in 10 liters of water), so for my stupid brain is a fair matter to ask, will do it any harm to the fermentation process?

Best regards

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi there, I'm planning to cob some Malawi this year, I have it all figured out and ready, just one thing is ringing the bell of my wonders: I always wash my plants just as fast as I chop them, I wash them with hydrogen peroxide (edit: around 100ml per 10 liters of water) and sodium bicarbonate (a couple of spoons in 10 liters of water), so for my stupid brain is a fair matter to ask, will do it any harm to the fermentation process?

Best regards
Doubt it if it was dried it should work well but having never tried it myself I have no clue.
I take it its outdoor grown weed. If so its probably a good idea with all the dust ect that gets on them.

CDNINCA

Doubt it if it was dried it should work well but having never tried it myself I have no clue.
I take it its outdoor grown weed. If so its probably a good idea with all the dust ect that gets on them.

Best regards
As reference, all the weed I've ever grown has been outdoor and I've never washed my plants before. I do happen to live where the climate is just about perfect and I don't really have to worry about bad things getting on the plants from the air here. It might be a good idea as you suggest, but the thought of soaking buds in anything seems like an invitation for mould - liquid gets down in deep and I'd be worried if it will start to go bad before it fully dries out. I also grow wine grapes and the last thing you want is for them to get wet before you harvest them. Same principle applies - mould loves wet crevices like you find deep in a grape cluster.
Just my 2 cents, it sounds like you have washed plants before and it seems to work, but I'd avoid doing so, that's just me though. Heck, it's all nature, live on the edge, rinse some and leave some dry- experiment!?
Cheers.

HCMPA

Thanks Tang for your lightning speed answer, I always do it, I'm doing it for more than 10 years, and I'm really can't understand why I didn't it sooner, especially when I'm a farmer guy, and we of course always wash every thing we grow to be consumed by humans.

So I just chop my plants and same day I wash them and hang them, if there is so much RH I would use a bit of air moving, but RH is never almost a thing around here, so around 5 days later I jar them and open it 2 or 3 times in the next month (I like to pour them in a 10 liter bucket and take a look for nightmares in almost every flower, then jar again), then I leave the flowers just to stay closed as much a possible and with minimal temp variation around the year, I always put 32gr boveda in every 2,5 liters jar, changing it when I feel it's going too grainy at touch. This is how best (till now) I store my stash, but the year mark is obvious, terpenes, potency, even appeal... I know about your method from several years back, but I'm going to try this year for first time, I love what @dubi give us so, so much that I need to find a way to keep it where I like it as long as possible, specially effects wise, but if is flavor wise too... ok jackpot :)

Best regards

HCMPA

As reference, all the weed I've ever grown has been outdoor and I've never washed my plants before. I do happen to live where the climate is just about perfect and I don't really have to worry about bad things getting on the plants from the air here. It might be a good idea as you suggest, but the thought of soaking buds in anything seems like an invitation for mould - liquid gets down in deep and I'd be worried if it will start to go bad before it fully dries out. I also grow wine grapes and the last thing you want is for them to get wet before you harvest them. Same principle applies - mould loves wet crevices like you find deep in a grape cluster.
Just my 2 cents, it sounds like you have washed plants before and it seems to work, but I'd avoid doing so, that's just me though. Heck, it's all nature, live on the edge, rinse some and leave some dry- experiment!?
Cheers.
Well, in my corner of the world my method works well, and maybe I'm wrong, but I never have mold/fungus problems since I wash my plants, (always outdoors grows) and I think that maybe the wash have something to do with it, because I lose my part of flowers due to mold in the past, but not since I wash my plants, is an easy process, but I have my own way as everyone's does. The first bucket where I soaked every branch, is just plain water at around 25º centigrade, it just to take away the worst and big things/dirt away, I have a strainer/colander to take off the things that go swimming in the bucket till the bucket is so dirty that I just change the water, I'm pretty sure if you see the shit of the first bucket you will end washing your plants.

ost

Man you guys have got me really interested in trying this method. I'm gonna try it on some of my outdoor coming down this week.

Can someone point me to a post # or be willing to give a quick breakdown on what the latest agreed on best method is??

Also I've noticed most of yall are doing this with sativas. That'll be another month before harvest, but it is it worth trying with modern hybrids as well??

Thanks guys can't wait to start playing around with this. Seems crazy but the way yall praise it here has me itching to give it a shot!
page 106

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Tang for your lightning speed answer, I always do it, I'm doing it for more than 10 years, and I'm really can't understand why I didn't it sooner, especially when I'm a farmer guy, and we of course always wash every thing we grow to be consumed by humans.

So I just chop my plants and same day I wash them and hang them, if there is so much RH I would use a bit of air moving, but RH is never almost a thing around here, so around 5 days later I jar them and open it 2 or 3 times in the next month (I like to pour them in a 10 liter bucket and take a look for nightmares in almost every flower, then jar again), then I leave the flowers just to stay closed as much a possible and with minimal temp variation around the year, I always put 32gr boveda in every 2,5 liters jar, changing it when I feel it's going too grainy at touch. This is how best (till now) I store my stash, but the year mark is obvious, terpenes, potency, even appeal... I know about your method from several years back, but I'm going to try this year for first time, I love what @dubi give us so, so much that I need to find a way to keep it where I like it as long as possible, specially effects wise, but if is flavor wise too... ok jackpot :)

Best regards
I'm growing Mulanje at the moment but also 2 of Aces Panama from a good friends repro.
The reason is the terps and of course the high.

Cobbed Panama is mind blowing in the terps dept as it ferments its truly beautiful.
The high after aging is very very potent nothing like the jar cured buds you really need to moderate your dosage chewed because it blows your mind.

If its preserving taste and potency cobbing is the best way but it is going to change both markedly.
You really need to try it and of course get the cure right to understand but it is worth it.

HCMPA

I'm growing Mulanje at the moment but also 2 of Aces Panama from a good friends repro.
The reason is the terps and of course the high.

Cobbed Panama is mind blowing in the terps dept as it ferments its truly beautiful.
The high after aging is very very potent nothing like the jar cured buds you really need to moderate your dosage chewed because it blows your mind.

If its preserving taste and potency cobbing is the best way but it is going to change both markedly.
You really need to try it and of course get the cure right to understand but it is worth it.
I have a Honduras x Panama really trippy, this summer with 3 friends, we just can't remember where the car was for several hours, but we can't stop laughing xD