What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yucca extract

shaggyballs

Veteran
I use the Grow More brand EZ WET SE..its Yucca extract and when used instead of Indicate 5 as a wetting agent.. its does a bomb ass job

EZ Wet SE is a cuticle disrupting insecticide which contains a sugar detergent (soap) as the active ingredient. Sugar soap is a new generation bio-pesticide that belongs to the soaps (or salts of fatty acids) class of chemistry.

Unique cuticle disrupting properties:
• Excellent control of many sucking and soft body pests.
• Used at very low rates 1/2 to 2 % by volume
• Works through contact activity
• Not affected by hard water, metal ions or variations in water pH(Unlike insecticidal soap

Mode of action:

EZ Wet SE has contact insecticidal activity on all stages of soft body insects, including eggs. Insect pests that are contacted demonstrate altered behavior within minutes and rapidly die The active ingredient, sugar soap, works like a detergent to dissolve the wax and lipid layer component in the cuticle, spiracles, and tracheae. EZ Wet SE interacts with the lipid bipolar protein matrix of the cell membrane disrupting their semi permeability. Iinsect respiration and moisture regulation is interrupted, causing immediate mortality. EZ Wet SE can also provide fungicidal activity as a cuticle disruptor by killing the mycelium of fungi which have the same dissolvable wax layers as insects and higher plants.

Let me help set the record straight, as I hate misinformation!

Might Wash is "ionized water" with a wee bit of a surfactant (look at the label)--no yucca, zero.
EZ Wet SE is 90% natural saponin derived from yucca schidigera and natural sugars.

Saponins derived from yucca schidigera have shown to have certain pesticide benefits.

MECHANISMS UNDERLYING THE ACTION
AGAINST INSECTS
Saponins are known to have various biological properties.
They have membrane-permeabilising, haemolytic, antioxidant,
anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant and anticarcinogenic
activities, they affect feed intake, growth and reproduction
in animals, and they can be used as fungicides, molluscicides
and pesticides, as well as against some bacteria
and viruses (Francis et al. 2002; Sparg et al. 2004; Avato et
al. 2006; Tava and Avato 2006). In this part we will discuss
the activity of saponins against insects.
Saponins give rise to increased mortality levels, lowered
food intake, weight reduction, retardation in development,
disturbances in development and decreased reproduction
in pest insects. The mechanism underlying these actions
is, however, still largely unknown, but it is likely that
saponins have multiple activities. The main hypotheses are
that saponins could either make the food less attractive to
eat (repellent/deterrent activity), bear digestive problems,
cause moulting defects or have toxic effects on cells.

BTW, last month I paid $90 for 2.5 gallon container of EZ Wet SE-

I just spoke to the rep at mojave gold in a private message.
He told me that the powder they sell has the exact same effects as you stated.

But it is way cheaper to buy powder than to ship liquid!

And it does contains the sugar like is stated in the grow more product.

Keep the info coming on this subject:dance013:

:smoke out:
shag

Polygon

I ran an experiment on live root aphids using neem and karanja seed meal bubbled @ a rate of 3/4cup per 5 gallons and added an oz of yucca extract (hygeia's hydration brand)

Without the yucca, neem tea is laughed at in my experiments unless touched with pure neem oil. With the yucca added in, the crawler dies within 30 seconds. I would propose that yucca extract is a very helpful tool against root aphids, if combined with neem seed meal tea, it's a knockout for pretty much any soil-born pest as IME it may help in penetrating the insect and killing it along with the contact insecticide that neem seed meal provides from making a tea with it.

Saponins have potency to be used as natural insecticides. They exert a strong insecticidal activity against a broad range of insect types and stages. Already at sublethal concentrations, saponins lower the food intake of the insects, thereby reducing the damage done to the crops. Another ad-vantage is their immediate impact on insects. This is important not only for protecting plants against insect pest damage, but even more so to prevent transmission of insect-mediated diseases. ----- 'Novel advances with plant saponins as natural insecticides to control pest insects'

:tiphat: