What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yucca extract

shaggyballs

Veteran
Why, what benefits are there (for the plant) over powder?
What make a good yucca extract?

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Can anybody recommend a quality powder that is inexpensive?
Liquid juice is high in saponin but way too expensive.
Looking for something high in saponin.
The nature of saponin gives them activity as surfactants that can be used to enhance penetration of macromolecules such as proteins through cell membranes.
shag

pinkus

Veteran
Sledge hammer is a cheap liquid yucca extract. I bought a large bottle for I think $12 as a nute wash to compare with drip clean. It's a Fox Farm product. 10% saponins.

shaggyballs

Veteran
thank you for your time and for the info you provided!!!
Looks like a good product.
But I am looking for a powder for foliar sprays!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi Shaggy,
Long time no read :D .

If it's only about saponins, then I don't get why someone would buy expensive stuff if there are soooo many alternatives! You can even buy pure saponin (no synthetic stuff but from natural sources, i.e. extracted from plants) and it isn't that expensive...

Like I already told you in another thread, good sources for saponins are:
- Soap bark (Quillaja saponaria)
- Primrose roots (Primula veris & P. eliator)
- Seneca snakeroot (Polygala senega)
- Soapberry (Sapindus saponaria)
And a little less:
- Primrose flowers (Primula veris, P. eliator and others)
- Common soapwort (Saponaria officinalis)
- Ivy (Hedera helix)

Some of these plants also grow wild in the states, others are protected species.

Didn't put Yucca (and soaproot (Chlorogalum sp.) BTW) on that list cause it's seldom used in Europe but it looks like the roots are used for commercial saponin extraction in the US...

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
GrowMore has a product called EZ-Wet SE, 90% saponin derived from yucca schidigera ($89/2.5 gallons) that I use for both foliar and soil applications. 5-10ml/gallon is the suggested rate.

At a local grocery store that caters to the Mexican crowd, I saw 100% pure powdered yucca schidigera in pound bags for less than $10. According to "white lab coat pros" that formulate food recipes--saponin derived from yucca schidigera is one of the best.

While researching alternative pesticides to combat Root Aphids, I discovered some very interesting information regarding the potential insecticide properties of saponins (first PDF file)...and the second pdf file contains a rather extensive list of nature's source of saponins--yeah the study is about incorporating saponins in animal feed, but some of the science I found helpful. Maybe Only will find a few more for his list of natural saponins.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2007 PestTechnology DeGeyter review saponins.pdf
    722.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Wina-et-al-2005-Saponins-review.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hi Shaggy,
Long time no read :D .

It is good to see you around also!

Some of these plants also grow wild in the states, others are protected species.

I believe yucca is partialy protected in the USA.

Didn't put Yucca (and soaproot (Chlorogalum sp.) BTW) on that list cause it's seldom used in Europe but it looks like the roots are used for commercial saponin extraction in the US...

I see what your saying....it is good to have alternatives especially if it grows in your yard.

Yucca seems to be the easiest to source and cheapest also.
So I am trying to discern good from bad... high saponin content from low.

Again, it is good to here you type OO.

shaggyballs

Veteran
GrowMore has a product called EZ-Wet SE, 90% saponin derived from yucca schidigera ($89/2.5 gallons) that I use for both foliar and soil applications. 5-10ml/gallon is the suggested rate.

At a local grocery store that caters to the Mexican crowd, I saw 100% pure powdered yucca schidigera in pound bags for less than $10. According to "white lab coat pros" that formulate food recipes--saponin derived from yucca schidigera is one of the best.

While researching alternative pesticides to combat Root Aphids, I discovered some very interesting information regarding the potential insecticide properties of saponins (first PDF file)...and the second pdf file contains a rather extensive list of natures source of saponins--yeah the study is about incorporating saponins in animal feed, but some of the science I found helpful. Maybe Only will find a few more for his list of natural saponins.

Cheers!

@EclipseFour20
Thank you for your input!
Very good information.
Good links too.
I am gonna dig deeper!
Thanks again for stopping by.
shag

P.S. I read your sig and I know what you mean. It's hard to help those that refuse to at least try and help themselves!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Also...think outside the box, check out your local feed store for Animed Pure Desert Yucca Powder, about $12 for 1 pound of 100% pure Schidigera Yucca root.

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
does yucca powder dissolve completely in water? never used it before.

Food quality yucca (humans & animals) is soluble in both water and/or alcohol.

But at what rates? Most of the dilution rates I have seen apply yucca schidigera diluted to 0.2-0.25% (which I believe is equivalent to about 7.5-10 grams per gallon--assuming 1 gram of yucca powder is equivalent to 1 ml).

I recall my great grandmother mixing yucca schidigera powder in her "sugar flavored iced tea" (she would add 5-6 spoons of sugar in 1 glass of iced tea). But she also was a nut case--as she was a granola cruncher long before granola was invented...lol.