What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Meters - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

BadMojo

There are Several ways to reduce ones footprint electrically speaking. Recently I lined my basement with R-38 insulation. My Summer cooling bill dropped by 80 dollars and the winter heating bill drop by 50-70 dollars depending on the cold. Quite handing when one is trying to keep below 200 bucks a month. There are other things like switching to Propane for water heaters and for dryers. You can maintain your power bill but have a much larger grow. Don't let the smart grid intimidate you. Use its weaknesses.

intotheunknown

Veteran
^Of course, electric companies are businesses.
They really could care less how big your bill is as long as its paid for. The bigger the better in their eyes Im sure.

It always comes down to word of mouth. People talk. Its inevitable. The fewer people that know, the better.

Catchin1

I have

I have

I have 8 horses 10 cows countless chickens, goats, sheep and barn cats, (I got a few more animals since the divorce..:woohoo:) plus outdoor lighting and a hot tub, plus I have an outdoor landscape pond that is more like a lake and I run a heater there around the pump intake in winter to prevent freeze up at the pump head......I have 5 water tank heaters in 5 out door water troughs for the animals. I plug in my diesel trucks and my two tractors I use daily as well....I cannot imagine they could ever get incorrect foot print on what is normal around my house.....my neighbors all have the same or more or less....I have asked what their bills are and I am not out of perspective one bit....my guy who has 1000w + another 1000 in fans, veg lights etc.....grow in town....we checked his neighbors and man a few kids and your power is out of control while the grower manages and controls his.....they are very comparable with his being LESS...

St3ve

I have 8 horses 10 cows countless chickens, goats, sheep and barn cats, (I got a few more animals since the divorce..:woohoo:) plus outdoor lighting and a hot tub, plus I have an outdoor landscape pond that is more like a lake and I run a heater there around the pump intake in winter to prevent freeze up at the pump head......I have 5 water tank heaters in 5 out door water troughs for the animals. I plug in my diesel trucks and my two tractors I use daily as well....I cannot imagine they could ever get incorrect foot print on what is normal around my house.....my neighbors all have the same or more or less....I have asked what their bills are and I am not out of perspective one bit....my guy who has 1000w + another 1000 in fans, veg lights etc.....grow in town....we checked his neighbors and man a few kids and your power is out of control while the grower manages and controls his.....they are very comparable with his being LESS...

A high bill is what they used with old meters, with the smart meters the look for the electronic signature that spikes when you turn it on as well as usage pattern (timers).

as far as I know anyway

Catchin1

you still

you still

you still could not have more spikes then I. Read what I worte about....not to mentio n how about every time I hit my welder and weld something, which is daily as I have machinery that breaks from rough farm use.....anyone around me here has a machine shed welders gas torches etc.....we call someone out very seldom....if you cannot fix it then you are losing money double for the time out of service and the services of the man coming to fix it......anyways.....spike or no spike.....I have too much shit compared to any grow I may or may not have.....see what I mean.....I doubt anybody in the city has to worry either.....you could hve a hot tub or something else....an aquarioum.....I use to have two 400w MH over a aquarium I used to have ......no I do not think that is it. I think there is a RAT somewhere and that is why people get busted.

M

Mtn Dew

Computer more like 500w-1000w dependin on if basic rig or gaming rig. I know i run 600w Psup in my decent gaming rig .

I think this was the first thread i ever posted in when i signed on here lol...

I've been running over 20000 watts since then and I've had no problems. We're about to kick it up a notch so I'll let you know what happens

To the contrary with the time of day rate it's about 40% less for off peak which is 7pm-11am and the whole weekend!! its like stealing from them almost.

If you are compliant, I can see no reason for not wanting one of these except for the fire thing.

Thank you STRAINHUNTER for such a sick thread and sick info to go along with it.

OVERGROW!

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We are in the midst of searching for a house to buy, probably in southern california, temecula, northern san diego cnty area. If a house we purchase already has a "smart meter" on it, can we compell the electric company to change it back to the older versions for a fee?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
If a house we purchase already has a "smart meter" on it, can we compell the electric company to change it back to the older versions for a fee?

I highly doubt it.

Since you're in Cali....just pay your bill, smart meter or not.

we won!

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/bc-backs-down-on-wireless-smart-meters

The B.C. government won't force people to get a wireless BC Hydro smart meter if they don't want one, but they are likely going to pay an extra fee for the opting out of the system.

Energy Minister Bill Bennett says the details are still being ironed out, but it is clear someone will have to pay the extra cost and it won't be those who have agreed to have the wireless meters installed.

"The 96 per cent of B.C. ratepayers who have taken the smart meters should not pay the additional expense of the four per cent who don't want one," said Bennett.

The details are still being ironed out but the extra costs would likely have to cover having the wireless component removed and employing meter readers to the non-wireless devices.

According to the government there are about 60,000 household that have yet to have smart meters installed.

Opponents concerned about health

The $1 billion plan to install 1.8 million smart meters across B.C. has met with opposition for several reasons, including the cost of the program, concerns about privacy and hacking of the systems, and possible health effects of the wireless technology.

Originally BC Hydro said all customers will have to have the meters installed because the system won't work if people opt out. Then, in January, BC Hydro said it would not install smart meters without the permission of residents.

- BC Hydro backs down on smart meter installation

But some customers complained it was still happening anyway and in April opponents of smart meters announced they were preparing a class action lawsuit against BC Hydro, alleging installation of the high-tech devices has led to thousands of health, safety and privacy concerns over the last two years.

the funny thing was just the other day they (BC Hydro) once again sent a contractor out the 6 hours drive each way to our property and did not inform the poor guy that we opted out and wanted nothing to do with SMART meters.(nor dd they warn him of our 6 dogs that protect my property.)

The next day as scheduled by BC Hydro, a meter reader came who was aware of the dogs and took our readings without issue.

:dance013:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
yeah, a/c is a killa. swamp coolin works pretty good in the mojave. shut down flower room in summer though.

bayarea925

Ok well I got the new bill.

June 30 days billed - 2561 kwh - 84.5 kwph - billed price $759

July 29 days billed - 3038 kwh - 105 kwph - billed price $972

So I used almost 500 kwh more for almost $200 more.

Hmm

This was from switching from E1 to E6 time of use.