What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf Compost

Robbig22

Hi I have access to Leaf compost. I might be dumb but is leaf compost the same as compost. I want to use it in coots mix. I can get municipality green bin compost also. Which one is better or is it all the same. Thanks for any help

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well,
I’d be very careful of municipal “green” waste Robbig22. My experience with it is that it’s full of plastic, that l couldn’t see when l inspected it because it was so small and it was very heavy; i.e. no aeration when it settled because of to many fine particles. I’d also be worried about pathogen and pest transfer.
Cheers,

dufous

Leaf compost is good as a soil amendment, but lacks nutrition (nitrogen).

Green bin compost is what it is. Find out what that is. From what is it made?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Leaves are a good source of carbon in your soil. You will need to add extra nitrogen to the mix or the breaking down of the leaves will cause a nitrogen deficiency in the grow.

Grapefruitroop

Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well,
I’d be very careful of municipal “green” waste Robbig22. My experience with it is that it’s full of plastic, that l couldn’t see when l inspected it because it was so small and it was very heavy; i.e. no aeration when it settled because of to many fine particles. I’d also be worried about pathogen and pest transfer.
Cheers,
:yeahthats

Leaf compost is awesome but municipal compost def no! Beside the unknown foreign materials, i had a problem with the pine needle composting makin it super acidic

i also got areation problems...so i guess you could be lucky or not....better avoid for cannabis