What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace soil.

I’ve noticed the soil of countries in S.E. Asia and Central America are made of predominantly clay type soil. Is clay type soil good for ganja? It seems most soil marketed is peat based, which is great for holding water and nutrients. Why did ganja grow so well in these countries with their soil type? Would clay type soil work for pots, watering and nutrition. Clay seems to hold water once soaked. Clay would seem to be a micro nutrient or hold some minerals.
Could red clay transfer into the plant and give the cured flower a red color ie Panama Red. The first time I saw Panamanian it was a brick red colored bud. I later wondered if the red clay soil which is in Panama could have been the reason?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Soil is only one component of their habitat. They strive because of the overall "entourage effect" e.g all the growing conditions for their/that area.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Red clay soil contains a lot of nutrients that all plants love..

The problem is that clay tends to pack up too tight for most roots to penetrate it..

If you break red clay up into tiny bits through a 1/2 inch screen, and then mix in organic matter (compost) and something
such as large particle sand or perlite to keep the clay from re-packing, you will have a good soil to grow cannabis in...

And no, certain weed, such as Panama Red do not get their color from the red clay..
It has more to do with the genetics and the harvesting/drying/curing method than anything else..

Sunshineinabag

Red clay soil contains a lot of nutrients that all plants love..

The problem is that clay tends to pack up too tight for most roots to penetrate it..

If you break red clay up into tiny bits through a 1/2 inch screen, and then mix in organic matter (compost) and something
such as large particle sand or perlite to keep the clay from re-packing, you will have a good soil to grow cannabis in...

And no, certain weed, such as Panama Red do not get their color from the red clay..
It has more to do with the genetics and the harvesting/drying/curing method than anything else..

how abou in baseball infields? red suff