What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Massachusetts Grow 2020

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Getting ready to grow again.

picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
What's on the cards Zeez?

I grew some Wedding Cake x 4DD by People Under the Stairs last year that was killer. That's a definite. AgentPothead has some Glue for me. Another friend is cloning some tops for me, so we'll see how that pans out. And, the personal seed vault has some jewels stashed away. I've gotta have a look through. Scouts Breath and OGKB x 4DD by People Under the Stairs will probably be on the menu.

This week the greenhouse gets a mod with a new ridge vent. I bent the pipes for it today. Trying to keep the fan usage down with convective cooling.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Sound like you're gonna have a good year ahead are they all going in the greenhouse or are you gonna be outside also?

What's your climate like? I also imagine Massachusetts to be similar to the UK but I think that's probably ignorance and movies as Northern UK is very different from the south even though we are tiny.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I've been all over the UK but only as far south as Kent and Liverpool. I guess in the far southwest it gets pretty balmy, palm trees even in a few places with that warmth from the gulf stream . Here in Massachusetts the winters can be pretty harsh with a fair amount of snow. Typical daytime temps are still 40s to 50s.

I'll get them started indoors with LED lights and harden them with a shade cloth over the greenhouse.

Have a look at the last years thread. Massachusetts growers had an excellent showing. It's legal to have up to 12 plants. Here's the thread link. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=361368

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Just burned the garden. There was a Christmas tree a bunch of sticks and branches from my property and what ever leaves didn't break down from the fall in there. Took most of the day as I layered everything in a long straight line down the middle of my garden. Lit the fire on one end and worked it all the way down to the other. Spread all the ashes evenly through out the garden. Will get pics and a plan for this year soon. Got some exciting things planned :biggrin: good luck everyone.

Big Eggy

Veteran
southwest it gets pretty balmy, palm trees even in a few places with that warmth from the gulf stream

Scilly Isles have palm trees but the closest I've seen on the mainland are date trees, a true hard frost is very unusual like maybe once every 10 years.

I'll be lurking if thats cool? Love the outdoors and American strains.:peek:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Looks like the Umass soil lab is still shut down so I can't get my soil tested just yet. Hoping they can open back up before the outdoor season, but it's not looking great.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Looks like the Umass soil lab is still shut down so I can't get my soil tested just yet. Hoping they can open back up before the outdoor season, but it's not looking great.

Maybe one of the towns close by can do the tests?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Maybe one of the towns close by can do the tests?
Might be able to find a coop that could do it, but I've gotten tests from them past 2 years so I was trying to keep it consistent just cause I know how to read their results.

yardgrazer

Experimenting with mixing my own amped-up potting mix this year, I reckon I'm gonna screw it up (who me, measure?) but I'll just mix it down and hope to get by with the mix + compost teas.

Green Squall

I'm still in the decision making mode here, but for sure I will be growing:

Erdpurt x 3
Friesland x 1
Alaskan Purple Auto x 1

You might notice I'm going with all early finishers...Yup, trying to play it safe this season, but I still might throw in a few wildcards. I have a bunch of genetics from the RSC and have been eyeing Chitrali #2, so that could definitely be in the cards.

Anyone know if Blueberry does well outdoors? Always been a fan of the strain and will be receiving them as freebies from Seedsman, so I'm considering that as well.

Good luck and fingers crossed for a good growing season! :tiphat:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm still in the decision making mode here, but for sure I will be growing:

Erdpurt x 3
Friesland x 1
Alaskan Purple Auto x 1

You might notice I'm going with all early finishers...Yup, trying to play it safe this season, but I still might throw in a few wildcards. I have a bunch of genetics from the RSC and have been eyeing Chitrali #2, so that could definitely be in the cards.

Anyone know if Blueberry does well outdoors? Always been a fan of the strain and will be receiving them as freebies from Seedsman, so I'm considering that as well.

Good luck and fingers crossed for a good growing season! :tiphat:

You growing any of those Himalayan trees again this year? Those might have been the biggest plants in the state last year. F'n monsters.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I was very fortunate to get most of Chunky's garden and have been stressing to do my best to take care of and preserve this crazy opportunity. I am in the process of figuring out what will be going outside. I will be cloning this week and with any luck things will go well. I like yardgrazer will be mixing some concoction of additives into my soil with the guidance of chunky. Should be lots of fun getting things in this new environment of restricted movement. Good luck !

Green Squall

You growing any of those Himalayan trees again this year? Those might have been the biggest plants in the state last year. F'n monsters.

No, because I still have so much bud left lol, but I'm still amazed at how well they fared with the constant poor weather in October. Not a lick of mold on them. I still have a few different varieties in my arsenal, so we'll see what the future holds for them.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
No, because I still have so much bud left lol, but I'm still amazed at how well they fared with the constant poor weather in October. Not a lick of mold on them. I still have a few different varieties in my arsenal, so we'll see what the future holds for them.

Nothing wrong with that. The only downside I can see is that you need to buy a chainsaw to take them down. :biggrin:

yardgrazer

I started popping seeds last week, hoping to veg indoors for a month or so and then start putting stuff out.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I got plants vegging and just took a bunch of clones. Hopefully the clones root fairly quickly and will get a solid month of veg before they go out so I can put what I want out not just whats ready to go out. Still gotta wait and see what I am putting out but I definitely have plants that could go out today if we had better weather. I have pics in my unicorn diary and will start posting pics in this thread when I figure out what to take pictures of ;)

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I started popping seeds last week, hoping to veg indoors for a month or so and then start putting stuff out.

When is the date you are shooting for to get things out? I am thinking beginning of second week in June so start acclimating them first week of June.:tiphat: