What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cambodian suggestions, anyone?

teide

Veteran
Hi there,

I have been eager to aquire good cambodian genetics for personal breeding fun. The reason is just because my first experience with the wonders of weed was from local cannabis while staying in Cambodia.

The experience was amazing, pure mind blowing psychedelic experience that of course will never be repeated, nothing like the first time, right?

So just for the emotional value it would be nice to have seeds that are pure cambodian landrace, for personal photo breeding projects indoors and auto projects outdoors.

The problem is how to proceed. Where can I find authentic seeds?
GN Khmer Gold seed stock is very, very old.
Reeferman's Cambodian line seems discontinued.
Both admit their seeds are quite hermie prone, as I guess all pure Cambodian sativa will be, but at least I would know it is real Cambodian genetics.

I've heard Delta9 Mekong haze is a Cambodian landrace, but discontinued.
Nirvana's Raspberry cough is also apparently Cambodian, but a hybrid.
Western winds, Kali Mist and Stonehedge all have been reported to contain Cambodian genetics, still hybrids, and I don't really know if I trust it being true that they contain Cambodian.

Dr Krippling hybrids seem to be good quality from reports.
Ace I know is great quality, serious and legit.
These have quality strains with Kali in them, but they also have other lineage.. So not pure Cambodian. And as there are speculations whether the original Kali actually contains Cambodian genes, this sort of negates the advantage of using these quality products.

So what are my options besides traveling to Cambodia myself or using seeds from Gypsy that were harvested when I was a kid?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Probably best to go there yourself - document it - and bring seeds back - as I always used to -

You get a fun filled international escapade - and at the same time you bring something home in seed form - that could be outstanding - but sure, that isn't always an option - especially if you have a garden to watch - and need to take a month out to do the travelling -

Hi there,

I have been eager to aquire good cambodian genetics for personal breeding fun. The reason is just because my first experience with the wonders of weed was from local cannabis while staying in Cambodia.

The experience was amazing, pure mind blowing psychedelic experience that of course will never be repeated, nothing like the first time, right?

So just for the emotional value it would be nice to have seeds that are pure cambodian landrace, for personal photo breeding projects indoors and auto projects outdoors.

The problem is how to proceed. Where can I find authentic seeds?
GN Khmer Gold seed stock is very, very old.
Reeferman's Cambodian line seems discontinued.
Both admit their seeds are quite hermie prone, as I guess all pure Cambodian sativa will be, but at least I would know it is real Cambodian genetics.

I've heard Delta9 Mekong haze is a Cambodian landrace, but discontinued.
Nirvana's Raspberry cough is also apparently Cambodian, but a hybrid.
Western winds, Kali Mist and Stonehedge all have been reported to contain Cambodian genetics, still hybrids, and I don't really know if I trust it being true that they contain Cambodian.

Dr Krippling hybrids seem to be good quality from reports.
Ace I know is great quality, serious and legit.
These have quality strains with Kali in them, but they also have other lineage.. So not pure Cambodian. And as there are speculations whether the original Kali actually contains Cambodian genes, this sort of negates the advantage of using these quality products.

So what are my options besides traveling to Cambodia myself or using seeds from Gypsy that were harvested when I was a kid?

E

ESTERCHASER

thatd be great

thatd be great

Probably best to go there yourself - document it - and bring seeds back - as I always used to -

You get a fun filled international escapade - and at the same time you bring something home in seed form - that could be outstanding -

If ya do know ill be following along to visit vicariously through you, never been over there......im a bad boy!

teide

Veteran
My second thread on icmag, and Gypsy himself answers, that is COOL..
My hat off to you, sir, thanks for all your work, activism and contribution, fighting the system and winning. Respect!
I am family man now, it would be great, but not so practical, returning to Cambodia for an adventurous seed hunt.
I was there for a month while working in Asia. This was while the Khmer Rouge was still active, and I was in seriously dangerous situations several times. I was glad to escape alive. I was 20 and adventurous and a bit naive. I Wish I could have brought seeds back from that trip. While the plane descended on my return flight to Bangkok, a sweet lady voice welcomed us to Thailand and in the same sentence reminded us that there was death penalty for importing drugs.. Bizarre..

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - I am also a family man now - and my services are more to the school run than travelling in remote valley's looking for rare land races these days - although one day I hope to be getting back to searching for some interesting cannabis in seed form yet again -

As for referring you to getting any recent seeds from Cambodia - Hmmm - I can't think of who to recommend - perhaps dubi has something along those lines?

AbuKeif

In a recent interview on the 'Curious About Cannabis' podcast, Angus from The Real Seed Company mentioned Cambodia as a place whose landraces have been particularly affected by the introduction of modern hybrids to the local genepool--sounds like that's why there are no Cambodian offerings on the RSC site, even though they clearly spend much time and effort sourcing seeds from SE Asia. I can't vouch for it one way or another, but it sounds as though you may have better luck getting the sparkle you seek by growing one of the purer Thai or Lao cultivars that are out there. The Landrace Team website lists a Lao from Champasak province, which is right on the Cambodian border--surely pollen has been floating back and forth without a passport since long before the days of Pol Pot?

I sympathize with the plight of wanting something that may or may not exist anymore (non-hybridized Moroccan kif, so near and dear to my heart, seems increasingly threatened too...) If anybody finds an uncontaminated Cambodian landrace out there that they know to be the real deal, preserve them and share!

teide

Veteran
Thank you for your replies, Gypsy, AbuKeif and I wood,

I_WOOD, I think GN Khmer Gold is my best bet. Guess I'll just have to buy enough seeds to make up for the germ rates. It is extra special if I succeed to keep that line alive, being so old and original. I believe it is the only pure landrace option for me currently.

AbuKeif, my thoughts exactly. I've wondered why the Real seed company didn't carry Cambodian, only Thai and Laotian, I've read elsewhere of the difficulty of finding something there that's not tainted by western/genes or hybridized. Guess even these guys haven't been able to find pure seeds they can vouch for. Thanks for the tip concerning the Landrace team, they were new to me, I'll be sure to try them out.
The goal is not so much the sparkle or any type of high from the Cambodian. I am sure the exact same effect can be found in a South American Sativa. There is most likely negligble difference for me between a good haze and the best Cambodian, even less difference between a Thai and Cambodian. Laotian and Cambodian is more or less the same, I would reckon. These genes have, as you said, migrated by wind and by foot across the border long before the establishment of those very borders.
It will be for sentimental value growing the Cambodian landrace or making my own crosses, just knowing that the seeds truly cam from the very same country..

Thanks!
I will of course make an update if I succeed in growing some Cambodian landrace, even more if I return to Cambodia for a seed hunt!

AbuKeif

It will be for sentimental value growing the Cambodian landrace or making my own crosses, just knowing that the seeds truly cam from the very same country..

Thanks!
I will of course make an update if I succeed in growing some Cambodian landrace, even more if I return to Cambodia for a seed hunt!

Hoo boy, do I feel you. It would be super easy to just get a tent, a decent version of some Northern Lights or Cinderella 99 or whatever, and call it a day, but we seem to have a quixotic impulse to do it the hard way, don't we? At least 50% of my seed purchases these days are motivated by the sentimental urge to have some tenuous connection with beloved locales I've visited in the past, no matter what a pain they may be to grow. Good luck in your search!

Asiatica

SnowHigh has some unique genetics using Cambodian plants.
Im growing his Golden Dragon right now which is Thai x Cambodian.
They are some really vigorous sativa plants.
If you contact him directly he will give you some great deals.
Start on his IG page and go from there...

teide

Veteran
thanks, Asiatica, great tip! Never heard of him before, but now I've read quite a bit about his crosses, he seems to have very good reviews. Quite a steep price, though, and only u.s. vendors, it seems?
I see he is using Khmer gold in golden dragon.

Aladdin from Khalifa Genetics is working with a Cambodian sativa right now, not sure if or when the seeds will be available, but you can contact him via Instagram @khalifa.genetics

TheDarkStorm

Iv been trying to find a pure Cambodian myself...not easy to find..gypys suggestion realistically seems to be the only way to acquire a authentic line of a pure Cambodian..although as time passes the window for that seems to be getting smaller too..anyway good luck to you..please keep us updated with your quest.

teide

Veteran
Oh yeah, now I remember, old school breeders association. Found their page before, when looking for Reeferman cambodian.

teide

Veteran
Ace and khalifa have the very same description of the very same strains. One has copied the other.

romanoweed

ace sells seeds from khalifa, that might be why they havesame descriptions, but dont know wich strain you ment

Latest posts

Latest posts