What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

stealth sealed room for own consume

unnamedmike

My ext fan is powerful than the int fan. When the door is closed, the lower pressure inside the room with respect to the outside inflated the insulation, the air go inside through the water inlet hole, in the wall. First step, seal the tunnel.

picture.php

Its a small pleasure look the new tray working.
picture.php

picture.php

At the moment is just a outlet wall socket plug at 110v. Next step install 220v cable of right caliber.
picture.php

still not decide where install each area of the grow closet. But look at the last step pictures, joint in hand, listening music, helps a lot xD
picture.php

Last edited:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Very nice. I'd like to tag along. :tiphat:

In regards to leveling concrete... I recommend going with a self-leveling type. It's a bit more expensive, but for those of us who don't know much about masonry, it takes a lot of the guess work out. It's true that you do have to create a "dam" around the perimeter of the room, but there are a lot of YouTube videos about doing this. Good luck!

unnamedmike

Welcome Vanilla !

Very nice. I'd like to tag along.
In regards to leveling concrete... I recommend going with a self-leveling type. It's a bit more expensive, but for those of us who don't know much about masonry, it takes a lot of the guess work out. It's true that you do have to create a "dam" around the perimeter of the room, but there are a lot of YouTube videos about doing this. Good luck!

Welcome Hush ! and thank you very much for the advice, i think about that a lot, but unfortunately here leveling concrete is too expensive.
Its also part of my masonry learn / self-challenging
Yesterday i "clean", hammer in hand, the area to level, and break the wall to install electricity pipes.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

I haven't finished insulating the whole room because resistol is finished, and after a considerable amount of beer and green, and involuntarily, resistol 5000 ... better tomorrow in better condition, I approach the hardware store.

Several beers and pots after ...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

picture.php

My old COB setup need an update. But not this time, again.
picture.php

Temporary by-pass
picture.php

And also temporarily, all the birds are back in the nest. More tomorrow.

picture.php

unnamedmike

no more insulating bubble for now. I gonna buy 10m * 120cm again. I need more insulating bubble for a little area in the roof, and the whole growth cabinet.

It has been quite an experience to stick the insulate today, buy a local brand resistol and I still "high" that shit dont make feel good.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

The vacuum gauge dont arrive, to be able to install the minisplit, or the water pipes to hide the minisplit tubes in the house facade (so that it looks like a water pipe, the compressor is installed on the roof where its not seen from outside the roof) so I still keep plants enjoining maximum of 34ºC. Nor have I made much progress in leveling the floor of the area where the grow closet will go, but I have been able to gather the necessary material and more or less I am clear about how.

I had an old laptop with which I uploaded the sketch to the arduino that controls my room, i used it since broke the 16x4 screen that was installed on the controller. But the old Laptop stopped working. Looking for cheap alternatives I found the otg-usb cables. With this kind of cable I can upload a sketch from my smartphone to an arduino board (or add a USB memory to the smartphone, or a keyboard, printer, etc.) and also the cable is easy to manufacture DIY.
Vinegar cleaning some old usb cables
picture.php

I dont like the idea of a butane burner in my mini room, and i dont want to carry a 50l Co2 bottle in front of my gossip neighbors every X days.

I dont want to go over 400ppm + - co2, just avoid venting, my only reason to add Co2 is the electric bill.
My initial idea is: make a thermophilic composter (fast and insect-free) with the vegetable crap from house, and complete with fallen leaves from the back garden + crap crop from the magic garden and straw + guinea pig manure. Im looking for a 1:30 nitrogen: carbon ratio. Then with this compost (as crushed as possible) and some extra food, I will feed red worms in 3 vermi composters.

The growth cabinet and the flowering room share air, through the light traps that communicate them (they will communicate xD). I would like to add the thermophilic composter and 2 or 3 vermi composters bin, inside the growing cabinet, where I already plan to add two 200l tanks for irrigation, the RO filter and the grow controller + relays, etc, but I dont know if there would be enought room for the plants.
I could monitor the temperature and humid generated by the vermi compost and the thermophilic composter with the current arduino controller, but I cant measure Co2 or CH4.
For co2 I like the mh-z19 (50usd) 0-2000ppm sensor and for methane I haven't researched much, in principle I will use the mq-4 (cheap) sensor.
honestly i dont know if the processed biomass will be enough to generate 400ppm +- of co2. I got read enough, but I miss the maths necessary to calculate the CO2 generated by not always the same material to be composted. Im also not sure if I will generate less methane / humidity / heat than with a gas burner, but I will not stop wanting to know. If I succeed, in addition to adding CO2 to the growing room, it would help replenish the ambient humidity that eliminates the minisplit. If I can't, I will make a minion costume for the 50L CO2 bottle, and if a neighbor asks, it's a piñata (I live in Mexico)

I need to prepare the compost:
- Making a bucket shredder for leafs/paper/cardboard with my current weed trimmer
-Buy a manual ground meat grinder for shred household vegetal crap
-Make a steam boiler with a beer barrel.

For to do compost:
-Make a thermophilic composter, but I havent yet decided the desing
-red worms (they are in his way)
-one more plastic bin for worms (I already got 2)
-Any way to avoid that critters enters at the 3 vermi Composter

picture.php

picture.php

Another problem to solve is each substrate that I have purchased (mostly cococoir) has arrived contaminated by some kind of pest or pathogen. The technique that I think is best suited to solve initial problems due to contaminated substrate is some form of steam boiled. Im gonna modify a 60l stainless steel beer barrel, to be able to heat the new or old substrate, to more than 60 degrees with water vapor, for the time necessary to kill any non-thermophilic life.

And ... Im not 100% decided where to drill, as you can see xD

picture.php

Iamnumber

Hi. comments and pointers..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I need to prepare the compost:
- Making a bucket shredder for leafs/paper/cardboard with my current weed trimmer
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -Buy a manual ground meat grinder for shred household vegetal crap
-Make a steam boiler with a beer barrel.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manual meatgrider might be bit labor intensive? how about kitchen knife and sanding stone to sharpen it every now and then? I feed my worms every now and then. When I peal something I usually chop the waste fairly quickly into chunks and put these chunks to fridge/freezer to wait till I decide it is time to feed the worms.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I really like the closed loop ideology.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] For to do compost:
-Make a thermophilic composter, but I havent yet decided the desing
-red worms (they are in his way)
-one more plastic bin for worms (I already got 2)
-Any way to avoid that critters enters at the 3 vermi Composter
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are few species of worms. Standard red wrangler (big, thick, used in fishing) are bit sensitive to heat. I think 22 deg C is getting close to their limit. There are other species that are more suited for vermicomposting. I cant recall the name of species but they are more resilient to room temperatures or higher. I guess heat might be issue in Mexico.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The compost will give off heat (why I did not use it) and heat is usually fairly big issue.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Compost (termophilic) will attract small flies (fruit flies or similar) .. I tried to isolate the compost but failed, another reason why decided not worth the effort. Just cautionary tail. Waiting to see what kind of solution you will come up. Both composts attract micro orgasm and timy/small insects. As they require taking care there is risk of contamination (something getting into compost and later on getting out of compost to grow space)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope you find something that works for you! keep safe and keep posting :tiphat:
[/FONT]

unnamedmike

nice, I like big projects
smile.gif
looking good
Hi Tom, thanks and welcome, hope you enjoy the show :tiphat:

Hi. comments and pointers..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manual meatgrider might be bit labor intensive? how about kitchen knife and sanding stone to sharpen it every now and then? I feed my worms every now and then. When I peal something I usually chop the waste fairly quickly into chunks and put these chunks to fridge/freezer to wait till I decide it is time to feed the worms.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I really like the closed loop ideology.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are few species of worms. Standard red wrangler (big, thick, used in fishing) are bit sensitive to heat. I think 22 deg C is getting close to their limit. There are other species that are more suited for vermicomposting. I cant recall the name of species but they are more resilient to room temperatures or higher. I guess heat might be issue in Mexico.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The compost will give off heat (why I did not use it) and heat is usually fairly big issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Compost (termophilic) will attract small flies (fruit flies or similar) .. I tried to isolate the compost but failed, another reason why decided not worth the effort. Just cautionary tail. Waiting to see what kind of solution you will come up. Both composts attract micro orgasm and timy/small insects. As they require taking care there is risk of contamination (something getting into compost and later on getting out of compost to grow space)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope you find something that works for you! keep safe and keep posting
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Iamnumber, welcome and thanks for comment mate
thank%20you.gif
[/FONT]
Im trying to avoid the kitchen and the refrigerator, for the sake of my marriage xD Very good idea to process with knife each piece of waste, thanks for sharing it, but I believe at home we are too lazy for something like that.

I like to automate "things" (these days I will upload a cabinet sketch) and I love the idea of ​​make a thermophilic composting machine and got compost in 90 hours, free of pathogenic pests or eggs. And with this pathogen-free compost, feed the worms . (The idea came out of several texts, but the one I liked the most was Thermophilic composting of food waste https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.02.013)

My worms was bought in Mexico, I hope they are of the right strain ... Recently I lost my red worms colony for not attend them personally for a few weeks. When they arrived they took a while to adapt, but in a year + - they were food processing machines

I tried to isolate the compost too, and failed too ... this time the compost goes inside the composter and is inside a closet, I hope to control the pests. This compost is not for indoor use, leachate gonna watering the back yard, next to the waste water from cococoir watering. This "water" acid rich is perfect for my very poor and alkaline garden. The compost will also go to the back yard. Inside the cabinet/room only gases from the earthworms / composting process.

Im having some issues with my 100gpd RO filter. Here the water is very hard and is very hot (Now the filter run only at night) but at the moment working at 100% after a change of filters + membrane.

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

Im visually planning the design of the irrigation system. I doubted what deposit use for the blooming reservoir. I've one of 60L and another of 200l. Yesterday was the first irrigation and needed 100 liters to water 56 plants, most of them small. I think Im gonna use the 200l to irrigate bloom room, and the 60-liter for moms / keepers and growth.

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

Due to lack of budget there are no updates. But I have time to plan and inform myself. I really like this system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv24KFGM2SU to collect the vermicompost. But as I said before, Im gonna feed worms with thermophilic compost, to avoid put any insects or pathogens into the vermi compost.
My first thermophilic compost test is anaerobic and 100% unscientific. The bucket is closed and nothing enters or leaves, only gases. Inside there is cardboard, paper, leaves and 50% of crap from the kitchen. Before closing it, the waste was infected naturally, and it already had larvae of different insects and some adults. At moment im not monitoring the temp. This is gonna take a week, its August and the sun hits hard, I hope all insects die.

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

Try making bokashi from EM1 and wheat bran to mix in with it and improve efficacy.
Hi Lost in a SOG, welcome and thanks :tiphat:
Im a total noob, but what I read, Bokashi is anaerobic, and anaerobic reduction produces less Co2 and more CH4 than an aerobic reduction.
I dont know if the thermophilic bacteria are in the air / crap or I need to do some kind of inoculation to start the process.
I want to do something like the video, but in a plastic bin container or an ice chest, and only for veg waste (in the video animal matter is processed)

https://youtu.be/9nhaioag9IM

Last edited:

unnamedmike

I got two more weeks growing in the blooming room before need the growing closet.

For some time I had planned hang another lamp perpendicular to the current one. In the future there will be 300w of LM301b. But for now I gonna hang my shabby growth lamp (120w) near the COB LEDs, enlightening the keepers.

picture.php

picture.php

And the Co2 sensor arrived
picture.php

unnamedmike

I would like to do the new tray, but i need to finish the cabinets before update anything.

Some pics with lights On:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

The minisplit indoor unit is already installed. Tomorrow I will try to keep my neighboring gossips from seeing me making a 50mm hole in the wall and take out the tubes.

I think the funniest thing will be to upload the compressor to the roof of a second floor.
To install the indoor unit of the minisplit, was needed remove the plants from the tray, so that you can walk on the tray, but now I can glue the roof panels to the wooden tray and leave it assembled and without water leaks.

The minisplit water will go to the irrigation tray, and next to the drainage of the plants will go through a pipe to the home back garden, to be reused in my poor and alkaline soil.

The next week the manometers arrive and finally im gonna be able to do vacuum in the minisplit, i already had the vacuum pump.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

I need flip to 12/12 soon, but im doing small progress, with the current temperature its difficult to do physical work.

First Co2 sensor tests, open windows.
picture.php

Newly closed windows.
picture.php

after 30 minutes with closed windows (two big dogs and me at home) the co2 is over 600ppm.
If the worms dont breathe enough, maybe Ill install a hammock in the room, and at least I do something useful this August :biggrin:

webwiller

Whao! Big or nothing eh NNmike?!
It looks GOOD! I bet I'll steal your project one day...with permission, obviously! :)

Latest posts

Latest posts