What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

Your plant is doing really well PCBuds, mine has just started, a Kiss Fem from The Vault.
https://www.icmag.com/forum/ic-magaz...from-the-vault

Thanks Frosty. :thank you:

I checked out your thread.
Your plant seems to be having a good start.
:good:

I think I'm going to grow out my plant for quite a bit longer.

My stash is running kinda low though, so I might take the main cola off and give the rest of the plant more time.

The main cola is further along than the rest of the plant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211007_065442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	17960610

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211007_064641.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	17960611

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211007_065442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	17960610

I'm going to take another sample from deeper inside the main cola and check the trichomes.

PCBuds

My power has been on and off a few times today. It's off again now.

That's another reason why I like Autoflowers.
If I was growing a photo plant, the power outages may be enough to herm the plant.

All I have to do is reset the time on my timer, but even if I didn't, it doesn't really matter.

I might be asleep during an outage and not know about it.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thought about a ups? https://www.ebay.com/itm/18266885763...Cclp%3A2334524
Straight forward bit of kit. You have a car battery charger, charging a car battery. Then the 110v inverter from an RV, providing power for your grow. If the power goes off, you have a car batteries worth of electric to use, before your grow looses power.
If you just have a 300w inverter, you use it for your timer, your extract, and enough trace lighting to keep them awake. Plus, importantly, the coil of a contactor. The contactor powers the bulk of your lighting from the wall. So if the power goes off, the bulk of your lighting also goes off. But not the fans/timer/trace lighting.

The link is a bit fancy. It's what I describe, packaged up. UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply. You can get a used one quite cheap, and add whatever batteries you like. It's a little better than an inverter, as in the ups the invertor isn't running constantly. It kicks in within milliseconds. Enough to keep your PC working, as that's it's real job. Keeping your PC on while you power it down properly.

I run one on my extract. Just a small box, with perhaps a 12v 8ah battery. 12x8=100 watts for an hour, minus 10% for the inverter. That might be useless in your situation, but it's happy for me to drop wires out to a leisure battery. It's the same battery chemistry. Just my 300w ups has a rather weak charger for a depleted 100ah battery.

EDIT: 45$
s-l1600.jpg

For a box that does nothing for most of it's life, that would be a good girlfriend replacement lol

PCBuds

That would be neat to have, but I don't really need it.

All I had to do after the power came back on was adjust my timer ahead by an hour to get it back on time.

I've had this 12V inverter for more than 20 years.
I've never used it. Lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211007_105616.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	17960783

I did plug it in and try it though. It does work.

My phone still worked during the power outage (I don't have a computer), but my wifi shut off.
My phone just switched to data, so I was still good to go.

(I don't know what would happen if the cell tower lost power though? They may have an emergency power source?)

PCBuds

I'm going to take another sample from deeper inside the main cola and check the trichomes.

I took another sample as well as checked around the plant, and I saw very few amber trichomes.

It seems to be about 50/50 cloudy and clear trichomes.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My phone still worked during the power outage (I don't have a computer), but my wifi shut off.
My phone just switched to data, so I was still good to go.

(I don't know what would happen if the cell tower lost power though? They may have an emergency power source?)

4 years back, when Florida was hit, only 3% of the towers went down. For the first time, emergency services used network radio more than traditional radio. Your mobile phone uses only as much power as needed, and IIRC 2w is the general limit. Which is enough to cover as far as the eye can see, from the tallest of mountains. I know a very large installation that forms part of the countries backbone has generators. The local mast's probably have UPS like backup. Ours stay on when the power is off, but that's rarely for very long. I imagine there will be a hierarchy where secondary users get screwed first, as is normal. Then primary users, as power dwindles down to data for emergency services only.

I have an inverter to. At least I think I replaced it. I couldn't find it when I looked.

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
...I think I'm going to grow out my plant for quite a bit longer...
Keep it as longer as you can, it will look like dreadlocks on cola when the lower bud will match the present cola foxtail. You might have to add support dough.
Hopefully the lack of leaf mass won't be too much in the way (it is a buffer) but you can take some yellowing in the bud, it's not commercial bud.. Right? ;)

PCBuds

Keep it as longer as you can, it will look like dreadlocks on cola when the lower bud will match the present cola foxtail. You might have to add support dough.
Hopefully the lack of leaf mass won't be too much in the way (it is a buffer) but you can take some yellowing in the bud, it's not commercial bud.. Right? ;)

:chin: Yeah, you're right.

I've done that before and I had a HUGE yeild.
She went for 16 weeks.

If I give her another month, she may double her yeild from where she is now.

If I start a new plant, I will have no yeild during that same month.

... you can take some yellowing in the bud, it's not commercial bud.. Right? ;)

I'll have two kinds of yellowing.
The buds themselves will probably yellow, and she'll be throwing out new foxtails forever.

I'm pretty sure that I could turn the lights way down and get her to finish properly without foxtailing, but I'm not going to do that.
I'm going to grow her at full tilt until I chop her.

She's really sturdy right now, and I don't think she'll need support.

If she does, it will be easy to tie her up.
I have an eye hook screwed into the top of the closet right in the middle.

20211007_152817.jpg

PCBuds

... You might have to add support dough.

I was thinking about something like this...

Support strings to hold my plant up.

20211007_173910.jpg

Ive never heard of using dough to support a plant ?

20211007_173851.jpg

I suppose I could wrap a dough ball around the stalk of my plant ?

Would that help to hold it up ?

(I know, You meant to say 'though', but I'm wasted and feel like teasing.) Lol😁

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
This thread has a bit of everything, man! Now I wanna bake a bread or baguette or something!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
All of the Sugar Black Rose crosses tend to throw some foxtail like that. They also take forever to amber if they even do. :good:

PCBuds

All of the Sugar Black Rose crosses tend to throw some foxtail like that. They also take forever to amber if they even do. :good:

Oh, OK.

I won't pay too much attention to the trichomes then.

Maybe just to check the ratio of clear and cloudy.

It's a nice sturdy plant.
It's like a stalk of corn.

PCBuds

Foxtailing is a stupid name for what I've got going on with my plant.

I've got new pistils growing that are yellow.

Fox tails are red...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211008_142434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.4 KB ID:	17961699

If my plant had only red pistils, that would be a good thing.
She would be ripe and ready to harvest.

It's the new growth that is yellow, like a ducks tail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211008_142434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.4 KB ID:	17961699

Baby ducks have yellow tails that change color as they mature.

So, as far as I'm concerned, my plant is duck tailing...

I've got some pretty cool looking duck tailed buds growing !! Lol

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
(I know, You meant to say 'though', but I'm wasted and feel like teasing.) Lol...
Yeaaah, Buuud! :groupwave:
Foxtailing is a stupid name for what I've got going on with my plant.

I've got new pistils growing that are yellow.

Fox tails are red...
Judging by that and the dreadlocks I start to think your plant is a pot head. :biglaugh: