What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup too expensive. Its 25 kg
The upside is the extreme quality. I'm starting my own

bigbadbiddy

That's the good thing about high quality worm castings:
They usually come with worms or you can just ask the guy to throw a couple extra in there and then you have everything to start your own worm bin.

Over here it kinda sucks with the cold during winter, they just don't multiply a lot when it's so cold out.

I bet over where you are you throw some goodies in there (malted barley watered in with some molasses really made them explode in my soil tub!) and they reproduce like crazy.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm getting 3 kg of worms to start my worm bins. I have not used the malt but they do like feed soaked with molasses

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like to soak peat moss in the bag prior to mixing it. I just blast the hose right in there. It helps a lot with the hydrophobic issue.

picture.php

My plants in various states of recovery since getting vermicompost, compost and molasses. Most were close to death The little tree beside the composting set up came totally back to life and flowered.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
You can cut the peat with horse manure. I'll go as much as 10/20% depending on what I'm growing.

I've done garden pots with even higher percentages, added worms and planted annuals. Ended up with castings.
Any locally sourced materials?

Rico Swazi

Bump
Sure looks to be a nice place to settle down, make new friends and enjoy life Microbeman
Love the color of the house, same color as the one I lived in texas. Ristras hanging made the color pop
They were much older but a washer and dryer on the porch sans bitchin tiles, poor people had only cement. .

You are living in style brother! :biggrin:

So hows the garden doing these days?

Curious as to what local materials you have found to be useful that are new to you.

Dried sage brush for example. Have you considered using something similar for a carbon source? peat replacements?

Any new and interesting facets of living hot and dry? I can only imagine joint pain would be less in warmer (hotter) weather.
( at least I hope that is true in your case.)

Last question, does the area where you are at have a spring cacti and flower bloom? Would love to see some hillside pics of the local flora Nothing that google earth could recognize tho, one thing to remember when one is running from the law, no identifiable landmarks!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'll see about the photos. I'm not running from anyone anymore. The hydrangea in the round pot which was destroyed by the roofers is now unrecognizable as the same plant. It is beautiful. It is the one we transplanted and discovered the giant worm capsules. The dead hydrangea in front same thing. I have some strange affinity with hydrangeas. They seemingly thrive after I touch them and I must turn soil acidic because they always turn from pink to blue. I'll take some more photos manana.

From my last farm
picture.php

Last edited:

P-NUT

Veteran
Hey microbeman, do you think that pea gravel/river rock is as good as pumice for drainage? I ask because pumice is hard to come by and pea gravel is everywhere here.

h.h.

Veteran
Hey microbeman, do you think that pea gravel/river rock is as good as pumice for drainage? I ask because pumice is hard to come by and pea gravel is everywhere here.

To answer a simple question.

Yes.

To make a short answer longer.

Pea gravel doesn't have the same moisture and nutrient holding ability and it weighs more.
Its also harder to get and costs more.

Limited real estate. If I can get more than one quality out of an amendment, I'm happy.

Lava rock another choice. Cheaper and easier to find.

I think MM has his own reasons for using colored pea gravel. Mining minerals or good zen? ("Wow! All the pretty colors. ")
I'll let him answer for himself.
I just like to butt in.:woohoo:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

hh made some good points. I used it because it was cheap or free and multi-colored and accordingly, hypothetically will contribute diverse minerals. It is heavy so is not a good material for containers to be moved.

For commercial production I had it tested against heavy metals and for mineral content; about $200 to $300.

Rico Swazi

Hydrangea looks lovely. Any cacti? Pics would be great when you get the time

my other questions from earlier-

Curious as to what local materials you have found to be useful that are new to you.
Dried sage brush for example. Have you considered using something similar for a carbon source? peat replacements?
Its the replacement for peat that I especially interested in.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry..no photos today. Long day. I'm charging up the Nikon though. My helper picked a full Rubbermaid type tub of nut sedge so I'm fermenting it for nutrients ala TimXJay. Not much sagebrush until one hikes up into the mountains. There are lots of cacti, aloe species, palms, many flowers.

I've got dried leaf and sawdust for carbon as well as straw, palm fronds, spent brewers mash. I plan to get a chipper shredder, then we will have lots of material from tree management guys.

h.h.

Veteran
If you can get palm tree trunks, bury them and they'll break down nice.
Palm fronds, I just use for ground cover. Thorns down or cut them off while green.
You should have acacia or mesquite, If not plant it. Nitrogen fixer. You gotta like thorns though. Make flour with honey mesquite.
Burpee barbless cacti have nice big fruit and edible pods.

Worms love avocados.

P-NUT

Veteran
Microbeman, how do use the spent brewers mash? I have access to a few hundred gallon a week. We feed it to our cows.
As for palm trunks I have a swamp full of sago palms that have fallen and broke down over the years and it's some of the richest soil I've seen. I have them taking over some cow pastures and was thinking about cutting them down and extracting the palm hearts the using the trunks for hugelculture. I have also used palm fronds as a mulch with success. Was thinking of using some palm fronds for a mulch indoors but don't want to introduce any microscopic mites and have that headache.