What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can soil sit to long before it's just dirt?

fuggzy

My plan was to start a grow ~2.5 months ago, and I got sick preventing me from doing so. I had a batch of soil cooking for about 2.5 weeks prior to getting sick, and minus 3 ewc teas, it has basically just sat there. I was just a hair shy of staying in the hospital for 2 mo, and not able to really go outside and work on it.

The soil has NOT dried out, and stayed moist. I live in FL and it rains frequently. The 3 teas it received where a while ago. Nothing but rain in the last 1.5 months. Oh, and the soil has been in a raised bed with nothing else. No worms, and not a single weed. Not sure if that matters, but there it is.

This is a peat moss mix. It still smells good, and is very black. Is there any reason I should worry? Should I recondition the soil? I still have enough amendments for a 2nd+ batch of soil if so. Would just a few AACTs or SSTs be enough to get it teaming with life again? Some of both? Sorry if these seem like Newbie questions, I just happen to be a Newbie. I know what sounds good, but, lack the experience.

I am able to start working on my garden again, and look forward to planting as soon as I can. Thank you all ahead of time.

fuggzy

Boogers

Boogers

The thing to keep in mind is if it was sitting where the rain could leach out nutrients, you may need to reamend.

The rain was my main concern. It kept it moist (not soaked), but there was no microbe foods. I'm more familiar with chemical ferts, and wasn't sure if organics would just leach away too... As far as nutes go, do you think I should just treat my soil like a fresh batch, re-amend, and wait for it to be ready again? Do you have a recommended approach?

Martha, thanks for the input. Can you explain a bit why you say this? Do you think rain water would be enough to sustain the microbes? My thoughts are no food, no colony. At least I wouldn't stick around for that shit. :) BTW i need a snack.

I was going to point you to that post. Use half what you used before, and you should be able to plant right away.

Keep in mind that since you may not have the diversity you would want to help keep pests down, you may have to battle that for a while. Being that your soil sat outside.

That assumes you are bringing the soil inside.

Are you bringing the soil inside? :)

i dunno what you think is in rain...lol but it's not just going to wash away "amendments" i don't even think you know how soil works. but go ahead add more...

fuggzy

>.>

>.>

i dunno what you think is in rain...lol but it's not just going to wash away "amendments" i don't even think you know how soil works. but go ahead add more...

Thanks for the spam.... If I wanted a simple answer like "your fine" I would just ask my wife. As far as what is in my rain water, I can only think.... Besides hydrogen and oxygen, I wouldn't know. I'm not a scientist. However, if you had payed any attention, I did state I was a Newbie, not an idiot.

I did ask you to explain how you thought it worked. Which you didn't do. Do you even know how soil works? Are you able to provide me any info with your 6 post in 4 years. That might not point to how much you know, but it sure points to how much you've gave a shit to share...

Go piss on some other parade please.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
some organic stuff will indeed leach out ..but most likely not in 2 months unless you got a shitlaod of rain..if you can make a fast dissolving instant tea out of it it will also leach out easier...yeehaw..I would give it a tea and plant away...anything water soluable leached away can also be reapplied...underfertilized has potential to be solved severe over fertilization is bad mmkay

VortexPower420

Veteran
Sulfur would be the first to go. Just keep that in mind.

I kinda have the same thing going on but just out of sheer laziness. I have a pile that sits outside and I can say they run out faster the other plants

Timbuktu

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
glad your feelin better and back with us

im with the " its fine" crowd. it would be ok to add an act and an sst after youve dropped in some girls to boost the microbes as well. your stuff will grow just fine without tho

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OP
organic mixes can be pretty diverse depending on the recipe you follow. more information about your choice of amendments could focus this conversation more if that's your goal. most recipes are a bit strong so a little leaching wouldn't hurt anything anyway. Then too, the solubles are less desirable in organics so what solubles were removed would actually help the cause. unless, of course, your recipe is very lightly amended

since w/ organics it's desireable to topdress & mulch vs feed, enough nutes isn't really a concern