What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue Orca Haze under COBs

OldCoolSativa

I got a pack of Blue Orca Haze last year from Swami Organic Seed. It came with a free pack of Mazar x Guerro. I got 17 seeds in the pack and popped 8 of them six weeks ago. I haven't seen any grow threads on this strain so here we are.

Swami's strain description:

Breeders favorite, this is a nice fix for the old ratty NL#5/Neville’s Haze. Mellower and kinder on the nerves than the NLH, as well as potentially a bit more potent.

For those in the know, this is the long awaited reproduction BO x NL#5/Haze release after previous consumer testing.

This is a serious NL#5/Haze upgrade in taste and effect,and quite successful at mellowing the classic teeth clenching anxiety of the Haze. Coots 71 Afghani x 76 Thai Stick ‘Blue Orca’ brings on the flavor adding a beefier pre*soviet Kandahar indica and a top notch 70’s “dealer’s choice” Thai*stick which meshes very nicely with the 1991 NL#5 x Neville’s Haze Swami F1 male from Coot.

Very resinous and hardy plants that tend to express uniformity very well, yet some variances still occur. So if one were to prefer a more sativa selection over indica, the opportunity still exists. Again, this is one of the best sativa’s most anyone who smokes it has ever encountered as is often muttered after a session. This is not an exaggeration and caution should be taken or better daily planning implemented considering it’s long lasting soaring inebriation. Very introspective behavior prone, yet for monotonous boring long*-houred jobs, this is the answer to the laborious aspects humans often face.

Also a fantastic medicine as a spiritual sacrament since typical “over consumption” can produce a shamanic type of mental space and in some people enhance already present internal personalities, so better to hold your tongue after smoking most days.

Highly resinous flowers with a subtle hazy, yet more a sweet exotic incense scent. Smoke is all old school and predominantly Thai/haze, with deep indica bass notes surfacing after. A proper cure delivers some of the finest smoke on earth.

First, let's get the terminology right of Blue Orca Haze's father. There's no such thing as "NL#5 x Neville’s Haze." What we're talking about here is Northern Lights #5 x Haze C (Nl5Hz) from 1988/89 seed, the original release of this legendary hybrid from Nevil's Seed Bank of Holland. Clackamas Coot reportedly grew out this seed shortly after it was obtained (delivered via courier from Mexico where the seed was shipped from Holland to) and made F2s that year from sativa leaning F1s. The F2 seeds were not grown until 2010; I am unsure how old the Nl5Hz male used to father BOH is, but it's described as seriously potent with a teeth clenching high. I also got a pack of Nl5Hz from Swami, now at F5.

I don't know if Clackamas Coots still posts here but if he reads this he will know that he and his BOEL friends who have preserved these genetics have my greatest respect and admiration, and I hope he isn't too bothered by the fact that I'm growing hydroponically. I'd love to smoke a bowl with him some day and listen to whatever stories he would be willing to share with me about the BOEL. I like what I've read about the strain and the idea of growing BOEL genetics really appeals to me.

I'm growing with hydroponics and LEDs. The seeds were germinated and vegged under LED shop lights in a flood table with GH nutes using 4/6/2 ml/gal of GH Micro/GH Bloom/GH CaMg using my 100 ppm tap water. I'll flower them in 5-gal hempy buckets with 70% coco coir / 30% perlite, under 640 W of home-made COBS (half are 3000K, half are 3500K) in a 4x4 tent. I also flash a 12W 730 nm far red light for 20 minutes at lights out. I plan to start using Jack's Hydro, Calcium nitrate and epsom salts when flower these plants. I'll detail the nute regime when I get there.

The plants were germinated 6 weeks ago and are currently between 5" and 10" tall in 4" square pots in coco. They are fairly uniform in appearance and have tight internode spacing and strong mainstems. BOH1 is the sativa leaner based on leaf morphology. BOH 3 is the largest and has the strongest odor (incense). BOH4 is the runt at 5" tall but has a slightly sticky stem rub with a lime smell. BOH7 has purple petioles on the upper fan leaves. BOH8 has a musky smell.

picture.php

I have 4-6 weeks before the flower tent becomes available, and I have a small space in which I can separately flower males and make pollen. I think I'm going to let these seed plants veg for another 2 weeks at which point I'll hopefully be able to take enough cuttings to get at least two rooted clones per plant. I'll put one set of clones under 12/12 to determine sex while I continue to veg the other set. Then I'll re-pot the female clones in veg into 4-gallon hempy buckets and flower them under 640W of COBs, while I continue to flower the males and collect pollen. I want to make F2s using sativa-leaning parents.

Not sure if I'll be able to pull all that off in 4-6 weeks but I'll give it a try. There will also be a few Angel's Breathe F2s joining the show; that's why I want to segregate the males early so I only have to transfer the females to larger pots. I just don't have enough room for all these plants in my tent, at least not in 4-gal buckets.

I'll post pics again in a couple weeks before I take cuttings so you can get a better feel for the uncut plant structure.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I follow with interest, I only heard good things about swami,and those genetics are special,precious....

Interesting. I grabbed Cherry bomb, BOH, and nl#5 x h from swami. I've got no room in my flowering room either. I couldnt wait to see what these were all about so I popped one each about a month ago. They were the slowest to germ canna seeds ive ever used!

All three are doing well. I'm vegging them slowly in a cool room under CFL ill try n put up a pic. I'm not in a rush at all so my plan is to veg these until they show.

You plants look remarkably, uniformly, indica leaning. Is that what you were expecting?

OldCoolSativa

I agree these look to be Indica leaning and I guess that's consistent with the strain description. I'm definitely looking for sativa effects. I wonder if there was some Afghani in Thai Stick by 1976, as the Mr. Asia syndicate was doing a lot to up production in southeast Asia by that point in time. Also thinking about ordering The One x Punto Rojo from Swami, as The One leans more toward the Thai side. Anyone know about that cross?

VortexPower420

Veteran
I have grown a bunch of swami gear. Most of it has sucked.

All the nl#5 crosses taste the same.

I am running the kahuna x cherry bomb and they all hermed.

Gas is a dick and doesn't know shit.

I hope you find some winners. I know they are out there.

Thinks about it I grew some of the BOH. The genetics were all over the place it height and structure but it all tasted the same. Not bad just like nothing else and most people didn't like it. My one buddy loves it.

I have grown a bunch of swami gear. Most of it has sucked.

All the nl#5 crosses taste the same.

I am running the kahuna x cherry bomb and they all hermed.

Gas is a dick and doesn't know shit.

I hope you find some winners. I know they are out there.

Thinks about it I grew some of the BOH. The genetics were all over the place it height and structure but it all tasted the same. Not bad just like nothing else and most people didn't like it. My one buddy loves it.

Damn that's disappointing to hear. I grow fems 90% of the time because of limited space and small personal grow. I read about swami on riu and tfarmer and thought I'd try out some regs with old school rep. I ran Satori regs a couple times and was pleased but not superior to fem strains that I have experienced

The plants I've got going are looking good but as vegging juvvys they are nothing out of the ordinary.

Got any pics of those swami buds? How long did they go? Which strains are your favorites or on your wish list?

These are all the about the same age. All from Swami. The Cherry bomb is stunted because, as i mentioned, it took forever to germ. I dumped it into another pot and found a sprout a week later. So it had to be yanked from another pot and potted up. Now it's been potted up 2x. I have no doubt it will catch up when i warm up the room and increase the par.

Attachments

• 3-23 boh 1a.jpg
    3-23 boh 1a.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 3-23 boh.jpg
    3-23 boh.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 26
  • 3-23 cb.jpg
    3-23 cb.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 3-23 cb1.jpg
    3-23 cb1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 3-23 nlh.jpg
    3-23 nlh.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 37

ambertrichome

Veteran
Have found pure fire in the BOH.The phenos are widely varied, but after culling a few smaller slow growing plants ect, the 3 we have flowered out so far have been pure fire.

NL5 pheno fro BOH is very floral, anise tasting, and smelling. It doesn't have a super heavy REEK, but it does have a really nice high end terpene profile that is predominately Floral/Sweet, Lung Buster, and will make your eyes look like you've been crying for 3 days.

Heavy munchies, cotton mouth, and come down. No clear shit, and taper off here people. Heavy duty mental high, that is euphoric, happy, and very long lasting, that morphs into a heavy lethargic stone of the highest order.

Another pheno, another buddy grew was 100% different.

Pure Menthol, and Bubblegum/Hash. Though it is also Lung Buster, Long Lasting rock hard buds, but is totally different looking. Resin heads are really, really small, though is loaded, but NL5 is coated with huge resin heads, and more leaf.

Heres a couple bad pics of the NL5 pheno. Its KILLER, and the best stuff Ive seen in years, but we have better on the way, if looks tell any kind of story.

My buddy has 2 more phenos that are even more resinous at 30 days than this NL5 pheno is at 63, and this 1 is LOADED. 1 pheno that's at 30 days right now is the most resinous plant we both agree that weve seen on either the internet, or live, in 92 years of growing between the 2 of us. Its literally just stacks upon stacks of heads even far out on the fan leaves. And Ive seen a lot of resin before. This shit is off the charts.

Attachments

• WIN_20180416_15_21_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180416_15_21_19_Pro.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 62
  • WIN_20180416_15_24_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180416_15_24_23_Pro.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 58
B

beanz

count me in , managed couple packs of these .
I was thinking I might hit a female nevil haze with a male from them . hit a female with a nevil haze male .... get both versions
f2 at same time more than likely.....see there worth later down the road

Last edited:
Man, I sure hope ive got a female here. Nice branching, plenty of vigor and appetizing aroma on this BOH but not sure of sex yet. I think this plant is 10 weeks+ vegging. I moved it under 12/12 a few days back and keeping a close eye out. It's 24" tall and was vegged under cfl then moved to shaded spot with cobs a few days ago.

OldCoolSativa

I topped these plants, got most of the tops to root, put them into 2" pots, and have had the resulting bonsai clones under 12/12 for a couple weeks now. I have 2 males, 4 females, and 2 still haven't shown. I'll continue to flower the bonsai males and collect enough pollen to make some F2s. I just up-potted the female seed plants to 4-gallon hempy buckets for flowering. They'll spend a few days vegging under COBs before they flip to 12/12.

I have 11 BOH going about 4 weeks old. 4 Mazar/Guerillio and 3 yogi..
First Run of Swami gear .. running with a mix Ace genetics..

I have 11 BOH going about 4 weeks old. 4 Mazar/Guerillio and 3 yogi..
First Run of Swami gear .. running with a mix Ace genetics..

Exciting, any pics?

I can confirm that my swami Cherry Bomb is a fem. It's been 12/12 for 2 weeks. It's in a smaller pot so my expectations are limited.

I just dropped 3 Ace orient express x nep jam fems. I've had nice flowers from ace genetics.looking forward to reliable fems after messing with swami's regs.

OldCoolSativa

@ThermalRider, sounds like a great grow! Hope you post some pics of your Swami gear in flower. Especially interested in your Mazar x Guerrero, as I have a packet in the freezer and like Mexican genetics.

Of my 8 BOH seed plants, 5 are confirmed female and 2 are confirmed male, with one (the largest) still not showing. I've been vegging them under 600 W of COBs for a week and flipped them to 12/12 today. They are 3 months from seed, with most of the vegging done under shoplight LEDs in a cabinet with a small flood/ebb table. Here's a picture of the BOH females (plus two MNS Angel's Breath F2 clones) at the flip. I'm guessing the persistently droopy leaves are a Thai thing, because none of my other plants do that. Smells range from sweet incense to musk funk at this point.

attachment.php

I determined sex by flowering cuttings as they rooted. As plants rooted and showed sex I transferred them into 2" micro pots and flowered them as bonsai plants. Here are 2 BOH males (on right) plus 2 ABF males (on left) after about 3 weeks of flowering. They're all making a lot of pollen right now (for their size anyway). I'm going to combine the pollen from the 2 males, refrigerate it for a few weeks, and use it to make F2s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BOH at F0.jpg
    BOH at F0.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 30
  • BOH ABF@ males F20.jpg
    BOH ABF@ males F20.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36

OldCoolSativa

~2 weeks

~2 weeks

Here are my five Blue Orca Haze females after two weeks of 12/12. The stretch has been manageable so far, most went from ~18" to ~32". They could still stretch for two more weeks and right now they're growing about 1"/day, so they'll fill up the tent and may require some training. Not much going on yet flower-wise but they look fairly happy. BOH 4 was the runt but shot up big time the last few days. BOH 5 smells like Juicyfruit gum. I have a reasonable amount of pollen collected from my two bonsai males, BOH1 and BOH2, so I'll be able to make F2s. BOH2 has some good trich coverage so I'll keep a cut of him for a while. BOH 3 turned out to be male but is too big for my flowering chamber so he got culled.

I just bought some Jack's Hydro, Jack's Calcium nitrate and epsom salts so am going to move from the H3ad method and General Hydroponics to mixing my own solutions. I'll start with the 3/2/1 ratio and see how it goes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BOH at F14.jpg
    BOH at F14.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 46

Mayhem84

Nice work bro just ordered a pack of the boh and nl5 x Neville haze myself so will be watching with interest seeing how urs get on.

OldCoolSativa

~4 weeks

~4 weeks

Here's a quick update a couple days shy of four weeks. They stretched more than I thought they would, so I had to train BOH8 and one of the colas on BOH6. BOH4, which was the runt in veg and was nearly culled, showed a sativa-like stretch and has the skinniest leaves. Bud sites are appearing and resin is starting to come in. I'll post some flower pics next update when there's something to see.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BOH at F26.jpg
    BOH at F26.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 24

OldCoolSativa

~ 5 weeks

~ 5 weeks

The plants are coming along nicely. Smells are now all variants of Juicyfruit gum, and the musk funk smell from BOH8 has disappeared for now. Resin production looks pretty good so far.

Here's BOH4, which is the closest thing to a sativa and looks to be the frostiest plant in the tent, and is therefore my current favorite.

attachment.php

attachment.php

BOH5

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BOH4 F35.jpg
    BOH4 F35.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 61
  • BOH4 F35 flower.jpg
    BOH4 F35 flower.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 41