What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I think my Chinese Silkie has read Sun Tzu

St. Phatty

"Make them think you're dead, then rise up when they least expect it."

Not sure if that is a line in Sun Tzu, "The Art of War" - but it could be.

I came home to a sad sight on Thursday afternoon. A big pile of white feathers (big pile for a small bird.)

attachment.php

Thought that was a sign of "Game Over" for one of my birds. Normally day-time attacks where I live are the work of hawks, and the signature is piles of feathers.

2 days later - SHE LIVES !!

attachment.php

Missing a lot of feathers, but Alive (Knock on Wood !!!) :woohoo:

That's my second chicken that has survived a hawk attack. The first one happened when I was in the living room. I heard some very loud squawking and ran outside to find a black adult chicken trapped inside a metal trap (where it ran to escape), and a LARGE red hawk, sitting on the fence with its wings spread.

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_191836_+__silkie.jpg
    IMG_20180412_191836_+__silkie.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20180414_094409_+_+__silkie.jpg
    IMG_20180414_094409_+_+__silkie.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 34

kaochiu

Veteran
Nail four sticks in the ground, forming a square. Then some thin rope, this plastic cord is fine, and tie it between the sticks at 50cm height in random directions, like a badly made spider web. Chickens, specially small ones, will soon learn to go there when the hawk's around, and the hawk won't even try.

shithawk420

Veteran
im glad your chicken is alive.it would be in trouble if it was a shithawk.just kidding.Kaochiu is right.that would work well