What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10-12 years old seeds...

Muleskinner

Veteran
I get 90-100% germination of my seeds that are 15 years old. But they must be stored correctly. In the refrigerator, NOT the freezer. Stored in an airtight container - mason jar - with dessicant packs in the jar.

I usually direct-sow seeds but if you know most of them are bad I'd use a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag and check them daily. Most important, keep temps in the low 80's while they're germinating. I get faster germ in the low 80's than low 70's.

M

mGeRxOiWcEaRn

I find heat helps them germinate faster. I just popped a few 10 year old seeds, they weren't stored in a fridge through so they're not that viable. btw whats wrong with the freezer option?

Muleskinner

Veteran
Freezing can break cell walls and causes moisture to migrate. But if the freezer works for you then go with it. I think the dessicant is more important than the cool temperature.

rootcap

Update? It's been 4 years now lol

Update...

After trying all the methods the people suggested including the methods found online, i couldn't germinate any of the seeds.
I had luck only with 1 seed from a group of 10 that was soaked in 150PPM gibberellic acid, and he died 2 days after he pop out.
i tried to soak the seeds in 50-1000PPM gibberellic acid (steps of 50PPM), but nothing.
as for now, i'm out of ideas... the seeds are still here waiting for some magic. :watchplant: