What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what happens if you smoke powdery mildew?

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Tip of the day: Ask a doctor medical questions, not random internet potheads

Now class let's break this down for the random internet pothead that can't seem to figure out what he said when he said it.

Tip of the day........not bad for a start

Ask a doctor medical questions.........You must not think anyone on here is a Doctor, or someone in the medical field that would have the answer. Why else would you say that.

Not random internet potheads..........WOW! so there arn't any pothead Doctors in your opinion lol I know a few. I can't count the times I have seen doctors cracked out or drunk on their SURGERY SHIFT! and Nurses tweeked out! Yea lets trust their opinion.....EVER HEARD OF SECOND OPINION! there is a reason for those ya know.

By making this statement you have said so much by saying so little. I'm not pissed at you I guess, I'm pissed at whoever educated you and your parents for not teaching you whats what.

:ying:

You must not think anyone on here is a Doctor, or someone in the medical field that would have the answer. Why else would you say that.

Nice assumption you're making.

WOW! so there arn't any pothead Doctors in your opinion lol I know a few. I can't count the times I have seen doctors cracked out or drunk on their SURGERY SHIFT! and Nurses tweeked out! Yea lets trust their opinion.....EVER HEARD OF SECOND OPINION! there is a reason for those ya know

Again nice assumption you're making....I've been a med user since 1997 and both doctors I get my recommendation from smoke...I was one of the first people to see a doctor in Eddy Lepps house.

I'm pissed at whoever educated you and your parents for not teaching you whats what.

And who ever educated you should have taught you to ask for clarification on a statement before making assumptions...I made my statement short and vague for a reason.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
RE: Eagle20

This agent is only approved for ornamental plants, i.e. the nursery stock industry.

From the product's MSDS are a couple of interesting warnings:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. The chemical is Myclobutanil CAS # 088671-89-0.

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause cancer. The chemical is Naphthalene CAS # 000091-20-3.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: This section includes possible adverse effects, which could occur if this material is not handled in the recommended manner.

EYE: May cause moderate irritation.

SKIN: Brief contact may cause slight skin irritation with local redness. The LD50 for skin absorption in rats is >2000 mg/kg. Prolonged skin contact is unlikely to result in absorption of harmful amounts. Did not cause allergic skin reactions when tested in guinea pigs.

INGESTION: Low toxicity if swallowed. Small amounts swallowed incidental to normal handling operations are not likely to cause injury; however, swallowing larger amounts may cause injury. Swallowing may result in gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration. Aspiration into the lungs may occur during ingestion or vomiting, causing lung damage, even death due to chemical pneumonia. The oral LD50 for rats is 3749 mg/kg (females) and >5000 mg/kg (males). Excessive exposure may cause neurologic signs and symptoms. Observations in animals include: convulsions. Symptom: muscle spasms or twitches.

INHALATION: Prolonged excessive exposure to mist may cause adverse effects. Excessive exposure may cause irritation to upper respiratory tract (nose and throat) and lungs. May cause central nervous system effects. Symptoms of excessive exposure may be anesthetic or narcotic effects; dizziness and drowsiness may be observed. Signs and symptoms of excessive exposure may include: sweating, nausea and/or vomiting.

SYSTEMIC (OTHER TARGET ORGAN) EFFECTS: For myclobutanil, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: liver, testes, adrenal gland, kidney, and thyroid. For the solvent, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: gastrointestinal tract, lungs, thyroid, and urinary tract. Dose levels producing these effects were many times higher than any dose levels expected from exposure due to use. Hypothermia has occurred in animals following skin or inhalation exposures to cyclohexanone. Cataracts and other eye effects have been reported in humans repeatedly exposed to naphthalene vapor or dust. In rare cases, repeated excessive exposure to propylene glycol may cause central nervous system effects.​

Lovely.......................

CC

Just a re-quote of the post above, with emphasis noted in the underlined and bolded areas. If you give animals enough of anything, they're likely to get cancer. That applies to vitamins, minerals, household products, and most of the things many people eat every day (like McDonald's). Not endorsing gargling with Eagle, nor am I suggesting bathing in it......but it's not going to make your dick fall off and your eyes bleed with the first application. :tiphat:

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
If this is a cure all UV-C should be used in all Medical grows..

UV, or ultraviolet, refers to a broad spectrum of light, anything from 100-400 nanometers. Ultraviolet has been further broken down into subcategories, and UV-C is the category that we are interested in. It is the section of UV between 185-280 nanometers. UV-C rays have the highest energy and is the arguably the most dangerous part of UV. UV-C rays can destroy anything from viruses, mold, bacteria, and mildew to plant pests like spider mites. Although it is successful in killing unwanted diseases and pathogens, it needs to be closely monitored because it can be harmful to not only you but your plants as well.

UV-C lamps can be used to sterilize a grow room before use, even though it is still recommended to clean everything with a weak bleach solution. Another possible application for UV-C lamps is to have them in your indoor garden and have them turn on for a few seconds to a minute depending on the wattage of the lamps. The UV-C rays only kill what they hit so it is necessary to place them in intervals in-between the plants to ensure that the plants are getting hit from every angle.

Mrgrowem

Here's some info that might help some of you. It works but it does have limitations. Using it myself, I can say it does as they claim. However, in some cases it may be more trouble than it's worth.....No matter what though, unless you've an allergy to milk, it certainly is a safe bet. An application Seems to last about one and a half to two weeks. If your near the end of flowering it could save one from using any kind of chemicals.....The article was written about zucchini, but it works just as well on cannabis.

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants.

How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world

The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?

In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
RE: Eagle20

This agent is only approved for ornamental plants, i.e. the nursery stock industry.

From the product's MSDS are a couple of interesting warnings:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. The chemical is Myclobutanil CAS # 088671-89-0.

WARNING: This product contains a chemical(s) known to the State of California to cause cancer. The chemical is Naphthalene CAS # 000091-20-3.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: This section includes possible adverse effects, which could occur if this material is not handled in the recommended manner.

EYE: May cause moderate irritation.

SKIN: Brief contact may cause slight skin irritation with local redness. The LD50 for skin absorption in rats is >2000 mg/kg. Prolonged skin contact is unlikely to result in absorption of harmful amounts. Did not cause allergic skin reactions when tested in guinea pigs.

INGESTION: Low toxicity if swallowed. Small amounts swallowed incidental to normal handling operations are not likely to cause injury; however, swallowing larger amounts may cause injury. Swallowing may result in gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration. Aspiration into the lungs may occur during ingestion or vomiting, causing lung damage, even death due to chemical pneumonia. The oral LD50 for rats is 3749 mg/kg (females) and >5000 mg/kg (males). Excessive exposure may cause neurologic signs and symptoms. Observations in animals include: convulsions. Symptom: muscle spasms or twitches.

INHALATION: Prolonged excessive exposure to mist may cause adverse effects. Excessive exposure may cause irritation to upper respiratory tract (nose and throat) and lungs. May cause central nervous system effects. Symptoms of excessive exposure may be anesthetic or narcotic effects; dizziness and drowsiness may be observed. Signs and symptoms of excessive exposure may include: sweating, nausea and/or vomiting.

SYSTEMIC (OTHER TARGET ORGAN) EFFECTS: For myclobutanil, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: liver, testes, adrenal gland, kidney, and thyroid. For the solvent, in animals, effects have been reported on the following organs: gastrointestinal tract, lungs, thyroid, and urinary tract. Dose levels producing these effects were many times higher than any dose levels expected from exposure due to use. Hypothermia has occurred in animals following skin or inhalation exposures to cyclohexanone. Cataracts and other eye effects have been reported in humans repeatedly exposed to naphthalene vapor or dust. In rare cases, repeated excessive exposure to propylene glycol may cause central nervous system effects.​

Lovely.......................

CC

Here's a couple of MSDS for products favored by so-called medical growers.

Floramite - note that the manufacturer recommends that it NOT be used on fruit bearing plants for at least 12 months.

The manufacturer also boasts of the 'residual effect' that the application of Floramite provides against future invaders. I'm sure that it's okay to use on something that you might smoke but probably not something that one might use for making edible cannabis concoctions.

Avid - no comment required.

i use or have used all this and then some......

i have had my pot tested by a gaschromatagraph many, many times at Harborside.

guess what? it comes back perfectly clean with no residuals of any kind....

so CC, what do you have to say about that?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Just a re-quote of the post above, with emphasis noted in the underlined and bolded areas. If you give animals enough of anything, they're likely to get cancer. That applies to vitamins, minerals, household products, and most of the things many people eat every day (like McDonald's). Not endorsing gargling with Eagle, nor am I suggesting bathing in it......but it's not going to make your dick fall off and your eyes bleed with the first application. :tiphat:

Not only that...but did you notice the rate they used for testing??

The oral LD50 for rats is 3749 mg/kg (females) and >5000 mg/kg (males).

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The label on Eagle20 also says to use 1oz per 100 gallons, which I worked out to .3ml per gallon if my math is right. Floramite is applied at 1.2ml per gallon, which is a pretty small amount of either. I'm not surprised nothing shows up in Krunches lab tests!

mr. p mosh

Mold is a problem but poisoning your patients is not a solution. Krunchbubble's claim that his product "comes back perfectly clean with no residuals of any kind...." is meaningless. In a recent story:
Pot and Pesticides: A Bustling Illegal Trade - The Bay Citizen
http://www.baycitizen.org/marijuana/story/are-there-pesticides-your-pot/

Interestingly in the article we learn that Harborside's lab doesn't test for pesticide residue:

In the East Bay, there are two marijuana labs, Steep Hill Medical Collective and Collective Wellness, that will soon begin testing for pesticides, but because there are no established screening procedures, they are creating their testing methods as they go. Steep Hill is working on a method that screens specifically for chemicals such as Avid and Floramite; Collective Wellness is working on another approach, and a third lab sponsored by a trade group called the Medical Cannabis Safety Council is in development.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
thanks for the info

In the East Bay, there are two marijuana labs, Steep Hill Medical Collective and Collective Wellness, that will soon begin testing for pesticides, but because there are no established screening procedures, they are creating their testing methods as they go. Steep Hill is working on a method that screens specifically for chemicals such as Avid and Floramite; Collective Wellness is working on another approach, and a third lab sponsored by a trade group called the Medical Cannabis Safety Council is in development.

"Nobody really has these tests for cannabis," said Debby Goldsberry, director of the Medical Cannabis Safety Council. "We have to start from scratch."
Next million dollar idea right there. A test that can find PM, or other deadly pesticides on your medicine. It would be nice to take a small piece of marijuana and then maybe put it in a small jar add "testing liquid" shake it up and then add drops of the liquid after it has saturated the marijuana to "testing paper" and have it change colors for certain chemicals and molds... all within 5 mins or so..
this could be used on vegetables and you could have that market as well.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/dirty.dozen.produce.pesticide/index.html?hpt=C1

'Dirty dozen' produce carries more pesticide residue, group says
Is enough being done to protect us from chemicals that could harm us? Watch "Toxic America," a special two-night investigative report with Sanjay Gupta, M.D., June 2 and 3 at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

(CNN) -- If you're eating non-organic celery today, you may be ingesting 67 pesticides with it, according to a new report from the Environmental Working Group.

The group, a nonprofit focused on public health, scoured nearly 100,000 produce pesticide reports from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to determine what fruits and vegetables we eat have the highest, and lowest, amounts of chemical residue.

Most alarming are the fruits and vegetables dubbed the "Dirty Dozen," which contain 47 to 67 pesticides per serving. These foods are believed to be most susceptible because they have soft skin that tends to absorb more pesticides.

"It's critical people know what they are consuming," the Environmental Working Group's Amy Rosenthal said. "The list is based on pesticide tests conducted after the produce was washed with USDA high-power pressure water system. The numbers reflect the closest thing to what consumers are buying at the store."

Special report: Toxic America

The group suggests limiting consumption of pesticides by purchasing organic for the 12 fruits and vegetables.

"You can reduce your exposure to pesticides by up to 80 percent by buying the organic version of the Dirty Dozen," Rosenthal said.

The Dirty Dozen

Celery

Peaches

Strawberries

Apples

Domestic blueberries

Nectarines

Sweet bell peppers

Spinach, kale and collard greens

Cherries

Potatoes

Imported grapes

Lettuce

Not all non-organic fruits and vegetables have a high pesticide level. Some produce has a strong outer layer that provides a defense against pesticide contamination. The group found a number of non-organic fruits and vegetables dubbed the "Clean 15" that contained little to no pesticides.

The Clean 15

Onions

Avocados

Sweet corn

Pineapples

Mango

Sweet peas

Asparagus

Kiwi fruit

Cabbage

Eggplant

Cantaloupe

Watermelon

Grapefruit

Sweet potatoes

Sweet onions

What is a pesticide?

A pesticide is a mixture of chemical substances used on farms to destroy or prevent pests, diseases and weeds from affecting crops. According to the USDA, 45 percent of the world's crops are lost to damage or spoilage, so many farmers count on pesticides.

The Environmental Protection Agency, the FDA and the USDA work together to monitor and set limits as to how much pesticide can be used on farms and how much is safe to remain on the produce once it hits grocery store shelves.

"In setting the tolerance amount, the EPA must make a safety finding that the pesticide can be used with 'reasonable certainty of no harm.' The EPA ensures that the tolerance selected will be safe," according the EPA's website.

Although the President's Cancer Panel recently recommended that consumers eat produce without pesticides to reduce their risk of getting cancer and other diseases, the low levels of pesticides found on even the Dirty Dozen are government-approved amounts.

Can small amounts of pesticides hurt you?

The government says that consuming pesticides in low amounts doesn't harm you, but some studies show an association between pesticides and health problems such as cancer, attention-deficit (hyperactivity) disorder and nervous system disorders and say exposure could weaken immune systems.

The Environmental Working Group acknowledges that data from long-term studies aren't available but warns consumers of the potential dangers.

"Pesticides are designed to kill things. Why wait for 20 years to discover they are bad for us?" Rosenthal said.

Some doctors warn that children's growing brains are the most vulnerable to pesticides in food.

"A kid's brain goes through extraordinary development, and if pesticides get into the brain, it can cause damage," said Dr. Philip Landrigan, chairman of the department of preventive medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

Can pesticides be washed away?

Not necessarily. The pesticide tests mentioned above were conducted after the food had been power-washed by the USDA. Also, although some pesticides are found on the surface of foods, other pesticides may be taken up through the roots and into the plant and cannot be removed.

"We've found that washing doesn't do much," Rosenthal said. "Peeling can help, although you have to take into account that the pesticides are in the water, so they can be inside the fruit because of the soil."

All fresh produce, whether it's grown with or without pesticides, should be washed with water to remove dirt and potentially harmful bacteria. And health experts agree that when it comes to the Dirty Dozen list, choose organic if it's available.

"To the extent you can afford to do so, [parents] should simply buy organic, because there have been some very good studies that shows people who eat mostly organic food reduce 95 percent of pesticides [in their body] in two weeks," Landrigan said.

H

humboldtlocal

i use or have used all this and then some......

i have had my pot tested by a gaschromatagraph many, many times at Harborside.

guess what? it comes back perfectly clean with no residuals of any kind....

so CC, what do you have to say about that?

They don't test for pesticides at Steep Hill. Just THC and mold/bacteria. They are also owned by Harborside so if they want to buy your beautiful herb they will and they will tack on any results they want to make an extra buck. Even if they found mold as long as it is not visible and they can make good money on your herb they will buy and sell it. Unless they test every single bud it is almost pointless to test for mold/bacteria. A visual inspection will show most of what is there. If they can't see it they know a patient won't either and ka-ching. No offense to you Krunch but IMHO I think smoking some of those pesticides is a lot more harmful than some molds and bacterias. FDA allows a certain amount of mold and bacteria in our food. Not that I trust them to look out for my heath but we really don't know the effects of these pesticides on patients yet. There haven't been enough studies. Obviously smoking powdery mildew/mold is bad but to test for it without testing every single bud is pointless. We need to test for pesticides and find alternatives to putting it on medicine for our patients.

Chief

since when do vitamins cause cancer?

SKUNK420

Hey if you think mold or spores are bad then think about all the mexi weed most of So-Cal used to smoke until "chronic" or "med quality weed" was around and cheap for everybody. I don't have lung cancer yet (knock on wood). You don't want to know what they do to mexi weed especially back in the pre-prop. 215 days.

Frozenguy

Veteran
Yeah, I've been saying this for years. We could very well find a huge increase in cancers and other ailments due to the unregulated cannabis industry.

A lot of people who are growing cannabis these days are not farmers, and many have virtually no gardening experience before hand. They dont realize/know/think about the dangers of products/molds and so the product unfortunately passed to the unsuspecting customer.

Many products other then pesticides too, like weight/color/flavor enhancers. So stupid..

Yeah, I've been saying this for years. We could very well find a huge increase in cancers and other ailments due to the unregulated cannabis industry.

A lot of people who are growing cannabis these days are not farmers, and many have virtually no gardening experience before hand. They dont realize/know/think about the dangers of products/molds and so the product unfortunately passed to the unsuspecting customer.

Many products other then pesticides too, like weight/color/flavor enhancers. So stupid..
Good points Fg. That's why cannabis needs to be regulated.

mmj is the perfect place to start

be great to develop a model owner-operated-collective large-scale production-line indoor-grow incorporating all of the many talents and best practices, of "the growers" to help bring regulation into the market. put the dispensary right on the front of it

I see this as a great opportunity for the growers to stay in the game, and to own what is rightfully theirs to begin with, for the benefit of themselves, and the benefit of their community; a great opportunity to give, and gain, respect.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
What happens if you smoke powdery mildew?

What happens if you smoke powdery mildew?

You get all powdery high?

J

JackTheGrower

This is related and may be a "Doh!" question but we can make canna-butter or canna-oils from materials that might have mold yes? I'm not suggesting extreme contamination but a little.

I have some bud in there that smoked funny.. It was just a hint of something I assume was mold. I bagged it for cooking but have not used it yet.

Latest posts

Latest posts