What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there an OMRI listed liquid nutrient that will work in hydro?

gregor_mendel

That's interesting. Meta's bloom has not alway's had an OMRI listing. I see that it does now.

I've noticed that with other products in the past. (Everything has OMRI listing but bloom product) It was once the case with EJB. Don't know if it still is.

G

Now I am annoyed

you don't see ebb and flow as true hydroponics? Being a water based grow system I fail to see the logic.

Wasting my time here cept I might sway people who haven't a clue from listening to this rubbish.

You obviously have your opinions and believe them. Deep flow? What on earth is that? Floating raft culture?

"I find that Nature's Nectar added with Ej's micros would probably work in a true hydro system."

You don't have a clue do you.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
BongSong said:
Now I am annoyed

you don't see ebb and flow as true hydroponics? Being a water based grow system I fail to see the logic.

Wasting my time here cept I might sway people who haven't a clue from listening to this rubbish.

You obviously have your opinions and believe them. Deep flow? What on earth is that? Floating raft culture?

"I find that Nature's Nectar added with Ej's micros would probably work in a true hydro system."

You don't have a clue do you.

:nono:

Amazing. I had an opinion about something and I'm dumb for it. Ebb n' flow doesn't have roots constantly submerged in water, therefor I don't consider it to be true hydroponics. It's just a fancy way to water your plants, sorta like a drip system.

You are wasting your time, because what you are saying doesn't make sense and seems arrogant.

I'm not going to call you dumb or go say you need to read because you don't know what Deep flow technique (DFT) is. Here's a link: http://hydroponicfarm.blogspot.com/2007/10/deep-flow-technique-dft.html I once had a 100 site DIY DFT system. Plus I've ran DWC, Ebb n' flow, NFT, drip, run to waste all on a large scale. I rarely had problems with the systems, so I might know a little about them.

About the nature's nectar, whats wrong with that idea?

All a plant needs to grow is: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, mangansese, boron, zinc, copper, chlorine, cobalt, molybdenum, nickel.

I'm sorry, but is there a nutrient that isn't available with that combination?

Wait...What?

Veteran
drip systems dont constantly submerge roots either. nor does aeroponics. your own personal definition of hydroponics does not jive with the actual definition. hydroponics just means 'water culture.'

and you forgot to add silicon to your list of things plants need

you would do well to pick up a current copy of 'maximum yield' magazine. its chock full of ads for organic nutrients that are either out or are about to be released.

Last edited:
G

I've just put that user on ignore. He obviously is just trying to disrupt things here he talks absolute rubbish and leaves deliberately baited comments in a lot of threads.

Probably 13 years old. Or a social leper, or both.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Wait...What? said:
drip systems dont constantly submerge roots either. nor does aeroponics. your own personal definition of hydroponics does not jive with the actual definition. hydroponics just means 'water culture.'

and you forgot to add silicon to your list of things plants need

you would do well to pick up a current copy of 'maximum yield' magazine. its chock full of ads for organic nutrients that are either out or are about to be released.

hy·dro·pon·ics /ˌhaɪdrəˈpɒnɪks/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-druh-pon-iks] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun (used with a singular verb)
the cultivation of plants by placing the roots in liquid nutrient solutions rather than in soil; soilless growth of plants.

This leaves room for interpretation and is from dictionary.com. Placing the roots in a liquid nutrient solution is what I focus on.

People use drip systems to water their lawns, sometimes they even use fertilizers in their system, is that hydroponics?

Its just a matter of opinion, it may not conform to others and I've never attempted to push it on others, so I don't know ya'll panties in a bunch.

As for silicone, it is not an essential growth nutrient. You can look all over google and see. Heres a link: http://www.turfgrasstrends.com/turf...dagrass/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/104007

BongSong is quite high and might, I must admit.

Have a good one :wave:

pseudostelariae

mrcelcius, are there any major differences between DFT and NFT? i checked out your link and it looks more or less the same as all of the pvc type NFT systems i've seen around. is it just more water volume running through the tubes at once for a deeper stream? excuse my ignorance.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
pseudostelariae said:
mrcelcius, are there any major differences between DFT and NFT? i checked out your link and it looks more or less the same as all of the pvc type NFT systems i've seen around. is it just more water volume running through the tubes at once for a deeper stream? excuse my ignorance.

DFT originates from NFT, so yes they look very similar. The main difference between the systems is the amount of water the roots and constantly submerged in. DFT works well with extra aeration, where NFT, most of the roots are exposed to air constantly. Root rot and temperatures are also more of a challenge with DFT.

DFT is like combining DWC and NFT, if you can imagine a system like that. Recirculating DWC is very similar, just more water. My DFT system had 3" of water constantly with aerators in the channels.

I see no ignorance in your observations.

high road

The guy at my hydro store let me try some samples of this stuff. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it sounds promising. They were using some on some tomato's in hydro and they looked nice and healthy with lots of flowers and small fruit forming. I am going to go back and check them out again in about a month. If they look good I might try this stuff out.

http://www.technaflora.com/

Technaflora Plant Products Ltd. has made a revolutionary break though in developing two extraordinary OMRI™ certified organic hydroponic nutrients that produce results, Pura Vida Organics™ Grow (6-4-3) and Pura Vida Organics™ Bloom (2-6-6).

These unique fertilizers provide plants with both a balanced and available nutrient supply in a pure natural form suitable for use in hydroponic, soil, and soilless based gardening mediums without the fear of irrigation line clogging and without the nasty smells associated with other organic brands.

Formulated from various plant materials and subjected to a fermentation process, Pura Vida Organics™ Grow and Pura Vida Organics™ Bloom contain sufficient organic nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P) and potassium (K), along with essential micro nutrients to sustain rapid, aggressive growth during the vegetative stage and to produce abundant fragrant flowers and mature fruits during the flowering/fruiting stages.

Pura Vida Organics™ Grow specifically targets the vegetative growth phase rapidly creating lush green foliage, while Pura Vida Organics™ Bloom is formulated to promote and maximize the flowering and fruiting performance of plants during the reproductive stage.

Powerful on their own, Pura Vida Organics™ Grow and Bloom are ideal as a ONE-PART fertilizer for general use. When combined, Pura Vida Organics™ Grow and Bloom create an aggressive TWO-PART formulation suitable for high demand crop production systems.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Very cool high road, thanks.

I believe I'm going to do a side by side by side of metanaturals, technaflora & nature's nectar + Ej micros. All in DWC, well see who wins.

A couple problems arise, as the technaflora lacks some micros.

tablePVOgrow2.gif

Last edited:

high road

DR PONIX said:
ive heard nothing but bad things about the natures necta. its not a complete fertilizer. It is organic nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium respectively. No secondaries, no micro's. It's not supposed to be used as a stand alone with inert media. If anyone tell you otherwise they are selling you.

earth juice is way too unstable to use in hydro.

biobizz is way to weak to use, and way to goopy and messy, and slow.

metanaturals is not a complete fertilizer, I saw deficiencies with metanaturals in hydro.

I don't know if canna has a omri line, my store doesnt have canna.

I don't know if advanced has an omri line, even if they did I wouldn't buy it.

Any other omri lines supposed to be used for hydro?

Mr Celsius

Veteran
high road said:
ive heard nothing but bad things about the natures necta. its not a complete fertilizer. It is organic nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium respectively. No secondaries, no micro's. It's not supposed to be used as a stand alone with inert media. If anyone tell you otherwise they are selling you.

earth juice is way too unstable to use in hydro.

biobizz is way to weak to use, and way to goopy and messy, and slow.

metanaturals is not a complete fertilizer, I saw deficiencies with metanaturals in hydro.

I don't know if canna has a omri line, my store doesnt have canna.

I don't know if advanced has an omri line, even if they did I wouldn't buy it.

Any other omri lines supposed to be used for hydro?

Natures nectar needs micros added, there are a couple organic micro solutions on the market, like Ej's micros and another I can't think of off the top of my head.

Agreed on the Ej line.

I have no clue about BioBizz

From a technical standpoint metanaturals should be complete. Which deficiencies did you see?

Canna has BioCanna ($30 a liter... no thanks)

Advanced is not OMRI and I agree, I wouldn't buy it anyways.

I don't know of any other OMRI hydro products that are complete ferts.

high road

I have yet to produce anything organic hydro that compared to organic soil/organic soilless and even synthetic hydro. All the lines I've tried have been more trouble than good. And the end result was alright, not great.

I will try the technaflora stuff, I trust my guy at my store and he is swearing by it. I hope it is different. My experience tells me otherwise.

I've seen really successful organiponics/aquaponic setups with THRIVING plants like I had never seen. So I know that it's out there. I just haven't found it in a bottle at my store yet. :) yet

high road

I had all sorts of deficiencies with the meta line. I admit at the time my eyes weren't trained as they are now, so I don't recall the exact deficiencies, but there was a lot of interveinal chlorosis/necrosis and rusting, there was also slow growth and rapid pH swings. Nothing I was interesting in trying any more than once.

Natures Necta needs more than micros added. It needs secondaries too. Is there sulfer in EJ's microblast? Is there sufficient Mg and Ca? I don't think there is. So then, you need to try to suppliment with other products...so you end up with 3 or 4 bottles and different application rates for each. Who need's that, or wants that? I don't.

Bottom line is that it is not a complete fertilizer and shouldn't be considered a hydroponic fertilzer. It isn't. What makes a good hydro fert a good hydro fert is the fact that it is complete and fully soluable. You need it to be complete because there is no nutrition from the media. Organic or synthetic. Natures necta is not complete. It is omri, and could be used to suppliment a hydroponic nutrient program because it is fully soluable, but should not be used as the base.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Thanks for all the empirical advise high road, you've been a huge help!

Why does PBP work so well, with the only non-organic parts of it being the calcium, magnesium and phosphorus... well apparently Botanicare is releasing an OMRI line, so maybe that will be the hope.

high road

It works, its noobie proof. I don't know the why's and how's, it just works. I have used pbp alot, it has worked great. I don't want to use it anymore though. I have had bad batches and sick plants. I've seen them change the formula for LK twice and only changing the label once, which still seems shady to me. I've emailed on different occations and recieved completely opposing information TWICE. I was just turned off too many times to continue to use the stuff.

Latest posts

Latest posts