What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOUTUBE-computer-television-Hookup

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm having a "personal" youtube made for me ( shhhh don't tell! ) as I am really sick of everybody else in the world being able to enjoy Beatles etc while we here in the land of the free cannot access because of copyright. Plus I'm saving about 2,000 other videos.:)

The only think I watch on television is homeland, walking dead, Billions. etc. News I get online.

Question, is it possible to tell Comcast bye bye to television and somehow hook up the computer to the big screen and use that as my means of "television' only using the net?

How?

St. Phatty

I keep telling myself I'm going to dig out the digital antenna in my 'garage sale pile' and watch some football games.

Pro Surfing & the World Surf League
http://worldsurfleague.com

does a fantastic job with their live online video technology.

They have been doing their webcasting that way since the 2006 season.

They have the instant replay almost instant, depending on location. When they have a mobile set-up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, getting the most recent heat online immediately is not always the highest priority.

They are obviously working out a good relationship with their advertisers, and usually put American television stations to shame in terms of having well-designed ads.

For people who are interested in learning the programming side of the technology, I suggest learning Flash and its replacements, like HTML5. Adobe has some very good intellectual property protection features, which hits home for anybody who has had their work stolen, as I have.

OldPhart

Question, is it possible to tell Comcast bye bye to television and somehow hook up the computer to the big screen and use that as my means of "television' only using the net?

How?

The simplest way would be if your computer has an HDMI port, then it is just a matter of plugging the two together. Second simplest would be a Display Port, then all you would need would be a D-port to HDMI cable. Third option would be DVI, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable, but it will NOT support audio; so you would have to figure out some way to get analog audio to the TV. Personally I would make sure to get a computer/video card with either HDMI or D-port, just so you don't have to screw with the audio issue. Some older TVs may also have a VGA connector, then you could connect the computer via VGA, but you would also have to connect the audio as well.

I love how easy it has gotten to connect stuff together, I have had a computer hooked to the TV ever since I got a TV with a digital input.

WelderDan

Veteran
You can get a Roku or Chromecast, or even an XBOX or Playstation and stream Youtube over Wifi. My cheap $69 DVD player has wifi and comes with a Netfix, Hulu and Youtube app. I stream Netflix over wifi all the time.

Hell you can even use a cell phone as a wifi hotspot and do the same thing.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The simplest way would be if your computer has an HDMI port, then it is just a matter of plugging the two together. Second simplest would be a Display Port, then all you would need would be a D-port to HDMI cable. Third option would be DVI, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable, but it will NOT support audio; so you would have to figure out some way to get analog audio to the TV. Personally I would make sure to get a computer/video card with either HDMI or D-port, just so you don't have to screw with the audio issue. Some older TVs may also have a VGA connector, then you could connect the computer via VGA, but you would also have to connect the audio as well.

I love how easy it has gotten to connect stuff together, I have had a computer hooked to the TV ever since I got a TV with a digital input.
There are 2 versions of DVI, 1 of which does support audio.

DVI-D (digital) is the one that doesn't. DVI-I (analog) does.

Last edited:

OldPhart

There are 2 versions of DVI, 1 of which does support audio.

DVI-D (digital) is the one that doesn't. DVI-I (analog) does.

I can't argue with that, but what I would say is, good luck with that.

I don't believe there is a standard that specifies audio over DVI; you are at the mercy of each manufacturer and what they decide to do with their video cards. I know a lot of manufactures take liberties with their DVI-I ports that are not standard. As someone that has spent years in IT support, I won't even open that door. If someone wants to connect dvi to hdmi, I just flat tell them audio won't work. Way too many times I would make a statement that audio may or might work. Well all the client hears is 'audio will work'. I suspect it has gotten better over the last 6-8 years that I have been further away from desktop/home users, but it used to be very sketchy guessing if it would work or not, more often it wouldn't.

Just to be a smart ass, technically DVI-A is analog :D DVI-I is 'Integrated', and can carry all sorts of stuff from DVI to VGA to Y-Pb-Pr to S-VHS to digital audio, and I'm not sure there is much of a standard for anything other than VGA.

Last edited:

Green Squall

You can get a Roku or Chromecast, or even an XBOX or Playstation and stream Youtube over Wifi. My cheap $69 DVD player has wifi and comes with a Netfix, Hulu and Youtube app. I stream Netflix over wifi all the time.

Hell you can even use a cell phone as a wifi hotspot and do the same thing.

Yup you can get a Roku for as cheap as $30. I use that and PS4 for Streaming.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I got a 50 inch from Walmart and use the VGA port.

I haven't watch Tv in about 4 years.I stream everything.
Even get the UFC fights.

The Sceptre models at walmart are the cheapest around and they are great.I have 2 of them,40 inch and the 50 inch.They have the VGA port for computers.

I save about $60 a month since I stopped Cable.
They have TV's at the gym and I don't even watch those.

Alot of it is Youtube and Netflix.
I Really Really Hate Commercials.

Netflix is my No ad home......they are alot of streaming channels to watch sports especially.

Latest posts

Latest posts