What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONES!!! 7-14 Days! 99% Success Rate!

hayday

Veteran
I have been using these tub things long enought to wear a few out. clones almost always root and they dont take up much room. No dome needed at my house ,I put them off to the side in the veg area.
picture.php

picture.php

14 days with tap water is tbe magic number. I pour all the water out after 10 days and the roots pop .The little hempys look trick. I might try that tek sometime.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
My method is very similar to the OP, and I thank him for starting this tutorial..

here's pics:

1. Sterlite bin for humidity dome...Don't snap lid on tight, just lie loosely on top...

2. cuttings... only 9 left now to root. (see how nicely the cheapo trays help keep the large bin tidy?)

3. cheapo cupcake trays from Dollar Tree hold the cups nicely...notice the holes drilled in cups...Oh, the cups are 9 ounce size, I measured them..
The mixture is 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite....(75% and 25%) This does not need to be exact..

4. rooted cuttings transplanted to potting mix in number 1 size containers...as you can see, they've been growing like crazy..
As a matter of fact, some of the clones pictured here have had 1 or more cuttings taken off of them as I try to shape these into mother plants..

It usually takes 10 to 15 days to see the cutting's roots in the clear cups, and by the time you can see them they are 2 inches to 5 inches long..
When you transplant them to the potting mix, the large roots and the clone start growing very fast...

When i transplant to the potting mix I allow 75% of the perlite mixture to fall away. Usually a clump smaller than a golf ball clings to the roots...
If you dry this out thoroughly, You can save and re-use it. (It takes a couple days in the hot sun to thoroughly dry)

I've been using this method for more than 30 years, and stick with it because I have close to 100% success rate...

Attachments

• humidity bin.jpg
    humidity bin.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 156
  • cuttings.jpg
    cuttings.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 136
  • cups and trays.jpg
    cups and trays.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 121
  • rooted clones.jpg
    rooted clones.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 141

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I took a dozen cuts from different strains last week. One had a little flower on it so i tried to snip and oops... ended up cutting the whole top off. It was just a stick. I stuck it in the cup anyway and the damn thing is growing a new leaf. Lol

picture.php

ictiv

Works like a charm, i was having trouble with cloning, last run i just lost 2 out of 16, so relly happy with this technique. I did the dip in the water for 4 days, and instead of pure water, i used water + kelp. Clones seems to like it.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have two more clones going this way. Expect them to be perfect. SGS deserves some Gold Stars from everyone for this gem.

B

Benny106

I took a dozen cuts from different strains last week. One had a little flower on it so i tried to snip and oops... ended up cutting the whole top off. It was just a stick. I stuck it in the cup anyway and the damn thing is growing a new leaf. Lol

View Image

Allbud

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
What about a tray with 2" of water in it, and the cups having hole drilled in the bottom like regular solo cup growing, then just setting the cups in that. Same effect as the cups holding 2 inch of water inside, except this way it works for all of them at once. and cups can be used for actual growing later.

What would happen if you had no water res in each cup, just a hole at the bottom, and you watered them everyday to rehydrate the perlite?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Used this method again and saved a very nice heirloom Mexican Torreon x Michoacan. I did not use a humidity dome and it still worked fine.

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
Used this method again and saved a very nice heirloom Mexican Torreon x Michoacan. I did not use a humidity dome and it still worked fine.

did you add any more water during waiting them rooting? this is my first time to try this method. i have clear solo cup being "dome" for rooting cup. lets see what happens.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Yes but it was 3 weeks or more before I checked for roots and took it out.

mexweed

Veteran
What about a tray with 2" of water in it, and the cups having hole drilled in the bottom like regular solo cup growing, then just setting the cups in that. Same effect as the cups holding 2 inch of water inside, except this way it works for all of them at once. and cups can be used for actual growing later.

What would happen if you had no water res in each cup, just a hole at the bottom, and you watered them everyday to rehydrate the perlite?

I got some of those little seed starting trays with 12 slots, they have holes in the bottom, it has a tray it sits in, and it has a dome, I don't have to fuck with trying to cut holes in solo cups and all of the thin plastic shards that inevitably come with that, the slots are the size of a small rockwool cube, I filled them with soil but you could definitely do perlite, but with the misting and humidity the soil has stayed moist the whole time

roybart

I did 12 clones of GG4 at about 8 weeks old.

Only 4 were really good candidates.
It ended up 7 survived..

But only 4 are the best.
Nice root growth

My cloner is just hdx box with 3 inch pots and air bubbler. I have a clear plastic top for a humidity tent. This keeps the humidity level between 70 to 80%.

These clones came from female in flower.
Media is hydroton and rockwool. 1 ml / gallon Floragro

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Thanks for sharing your method here, SGS. Giving your hempy cloning technique a shot with some Chem 1 and Ohaze clones. I’m following your method to the letter, so hopefully we’ll see some positive results here in a couple weeks.

picture.php

HB.

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
for me it didn't work but i give a new chance later when it's time to. probably my clones had virus which makes rooting slow.