What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone shipping dilemma's

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
well... just spitballing here, but you could try slitting open a water bottle near the neck to the middle sorta like a Y incision but more of a T and this should allow you to spread the bottle enough to shove the cut in there with the cube depending on which size you use. i only ever used the small ones i think it's like a 1x1 or possibly 2x2 square. you should be able to fit that in the diameter of a 20oz water/soda bottle or go up to 1liter or maybe use a different type of container alltogether. then just tape the seams up so it's mostly airtight. you just need the container to protect the clone from being crushed right? you pack it in peanuts and write "fra-gil-e" on the box and send it on it's way. maybe add a tiny chunk of dry ice insulated in a sandwich baggie to keep it cool? that's one of the methods i will attempt to use to send a clone. i've done cuts in water bottles and ziplocks and shit, but never with anything that has roots. but if you keep plants cool they go to "sleep" i can verify reviving wilty cuts and plants by getting them cold for a little while. it's like they suck up water, and then hold it till they get back into the light and warmth.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Clones can be cut & rooted from a plant that's been chopped and thrown in the trash for 4 days.
There's no reason a rooted clone would need much special care during shipping.
Those clone shippers are cool but that's about it. A few days in the dark wont hurt them at all.

PBLs method is very cost effective & works.

I've used the legs of plastic shelving, cut to length & placed in a zip lock bag, shoved full of cuttings for shipping in the past.

Be creative!
Nearly any container would serve your purpose.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
The biggest thing is making sure the clone(s) won't move around too much during shipping. A container barely big enough for the clone(2) does best. Taping them in place also helps a lot. Like others have said, summer makes it more difficult. I have found fall/winter is best(as long as it's not -20f)

SofaKingStupid

Thanks everybody! I think I got it figured out. I'm gonna use 2 of them plastic coffee cans with the lids. I figure 7 in each will hold them in place pretty good. They seem to be about the rite height too!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I just read of some guy who takes fresh cutted clones and puts them into zip lock bags and evacuates all air. No moisture added,no nothing.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I've been getting both rooted clones and cuts shipped to me in summer from hotass states in the lower 48. We got it down after some learning failures. Two rules that must be met. The clone cannot be allowed to move. Rule #1- ALL shippers and their machines throw these fucking boxes around with no care. Put cellophane around the rockwool on the rooted clones and tape them good inside a Tupperware container. Secure them real good, can't stress this enough, if they move they will arrive all with broken stalks. You may think you have them secure but the mailman is a formidable opponent.
Rule#2- they don't need any light, what they NEED is gel coldpacks around the Tupperware container. The blue flat square ones you first freeze in your freezer. 3 of them around the Tupperware. We ship usps in the large or medium flat rate priority boxes. 4 days max to get all the way to Alaska. Goodluck, do it the way I have been doing it and you'll win.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I usually ship fresh cuts. Straight off of mom. Now I'm in a position where I have to ship rooted cuts as sold in a cannabis club. Can rooted cuts, with their roots sticking out of the rock wool cubes be shipped? Or do they have to be re-cut and then shipped?

Absolutely. Me and stoned40 have been working on this problem, It was bit of a learning curve. But we figgured it out. I think we are at 75% success rate. For clones that are shipped at least 3000+ miles. and 3 day delivery. We know how to get closer to 100% What is hurting still is the transplant shock after its shipped undamaged.

1) Trim to fit, but keep this to a minimum. DO NOT CUT THE RW CUBE. This seems to cause more transplant shock than is necessary.
Trim the fans lightly.

2)Wrap the cube in plastic, ziplock is fine. then tape that cube(s) to the inside of a crushproof container. Dont skimp on the tape here. USPS doesn't know the fragile nature of the contents. Your box will be mishandled in every way, thrown, upsidedown. Otherwise the clones will shift and you will have broken stems.

3)Gelpacks are your friend, freeze them solid, then use that around the container. I would use at least 2-3 packs. Make sure they are the kind that will not burst. I use the hard plastic ones and to check I squeezed them as hard as I could to pop them last thing you want is a popped gelpack, and the USPS snooping in your container because of the leak. Any voids should be filled with some type of insulating material. Line the box with a bag just in case. Right now Heat is the killer

4)Ship express, flat rate USPS. Its fast and cheap. Plan your shipping around this.

You can make a cheaper shipping solution than the clone shippers.
And we know what works.

Ziplock container- 2 bucks.
Gelpacks- 3-4 bucks.
Tape- 3 bucks.

Under 10 dollars for the packing.

And that will transport at least 4 clones.

:biggrin:

SofaKingStupid

Thanks guys. Especially Stoned40 and GGW. All very excellent ideas. Its just so much easier to ship fresh cuts. I've never done it this way before. I got 100 percent success rates with fresh cuts before using the zip lock paper towel method but I never mailed a rooted clone. Readin over what GGW and Stoned40 said, I figure I'm gonna go with plastic coffee cans with about 7 clones taped in each ofem. All with their cubes wrapped in plastic wrap. Il havem put into a box and packed with cold packs. 3 day shippin. Ya think it might be a good idea to throw some packin peanuts into the cans with them ? Maybe itl take up space and hold them in place?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Thanks guys. Especially Stoned40 and GGW. All very excellent ideas. Its just so much easier to ship fresh cuts.

I guess I could do fresh cuts, but its really hard to convince me to take a knife to a few hundred dollars worth of clones and chop them off. If I had a mother to cut from, sure. But the clones I shipped were direct from the nursery and those usually come in cubes.

If fresh cuts work for you, and you're getting no failures, then go that way.

Lyfespan

use a cloneshipper and ups or dhl. no federal mail carriers

overnight it if temps are too high or low

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
use a cloneshipper and ups or dhl. no federal mail carriers

overnight it if temps are too high or low

Shit, every damn mail bust in this state that makes the newspapers was shipping with them fucking rat snitches at ups and dhl. You never here about a controlled delivery bust from the fed usps. Going with ups or dhl would be my last fucking resort.:tiphat:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
when I sent myself rock wool rooted clones I'd buy a sandwich size plastic tupperware box and lay the clones on their sides after a lift wrap in plastic to keep the leaves and stem secure.

I fit them in the tupperware on their sides overlapping the cubes onto the leaves of the previous one until it's and some bubble wrap to fill any voids. snap the lid on and ship with cooling when it's too hot out. no lights are needed.

SofaKingStupid

All these posts are giving me great ideas. Im lookin to ship bout 20 clones. I think I'm gonna use them tupperware sanwick containers packed with an appropriate number of cuts in each and packem in a small box with freezer packs.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
All these posts are giving me great ideas. Im lookin to ship bout 20 clones. I think I'm gonna use them tupperware sanwick containers packed with an appropriate number of cuts in each and packem in a small box with freezer packs.

That will work mate. I've done it lots of times that way:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts