What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cuttings stems turn to mush.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have had some problems with this in past, but now having major problem with a strain that has thick, woody stems.

Does anyone know what causes that? This is in grodan rockwool cubes.

Thanks.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
cubes been killin me all winter loc,,, im gettin better results stickin em in acup of water atm no lie!

I think for me it has been low temps and low RH due to winter heating...

I had the same had to recut and redip several times this winter... spray cuts with some diluted h202...

Loc Dog

Veteran
cubes been killin me all winter loc,,, im gettin better results stickin em in acup of water atm no lie!

I think for me it has been low temps and low RH due to winter heating...

I had the same had to recut and redip several times this winter... spray cuts with some diluted h202...

Just plain water? How long till roots? How often do you change water?

I had cuts in water for about 3 weeks, and changed probably every 4 or 5 days, and got no roots. This is Agent Orange X GG4, which is much woodier than GG4. Even MD has had problems rooting them. I am trying shotgun approach (started with 36 and only can grow about 12) and have lost about a dozen.

RH is really low due to cold. 6 degree's outside now. I use Snypes method, and he said to take humidity dome off after day 4. Might try leaving it on a lot longer.

Thanks, and be warm!!

Redbuddz

I have never had cuts root in just water. they get those little white nubs but roots never form. mainly because of the fact light is able to penetrate and keep roots from forming.

Are you using a cloning gel?
Are you using a cloning solution?
Are you keeping the cuts warm enough?

Keep on Growin Ya'll

Redbuddz

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have never had cuts root in just water. they get those little white nubs but roots never form. mainly because of the fact light is able to penetrate and keep roots from forming.

Are you using a cloning gel?
Are you using a cloning solution?
Are you keeping the cuts warm enough?

Keep on Growin Ya'll

Redbuddz

I put a drop of cloning gel on hole in rockwool cube.

I use dip n grow on stems.

I shoot for 78 to 80 degree's at bottom of cloning dome. House gets a little cold in area, since it has been really cold out.

Did they just get rid of the Like button on posts, today?

I put a drop of cloning gel on hole in rockwool cube.

I use dip n grow on stems.

I shoot for 78 to 80 degree's at bottom of cloning dome. House gets a little cold in area, since it has been really cold out.

Did they just get rid of the Like button on posts, today?

i just scrolled back to another thread it has likes on it so idk wtf is going on lol.

normally i see stem rot from warm temps/bacteria and sometimes from embolism in the stem which stops at the next node.

i still think aero cloning is the easiest method, if they are taken from healthy moms fastest roots have been 4-5 days some stubborn types can be a week or two. i do not scrape or splice the stem, if i remember ill add a pinch of iba to the water( works w/ or w/out)

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
I've had similar issues since the summer. Everything's rotting. Can't figure out why, must be an issue with temps/humidity/pathogens, but can't seem to nail it.

Cups of plain water are winning, take far more than you need, be patient, take a variety of sized cuts (thinner newer shoots root quicker in plain water for some reason). Even the most stubborn will sit there and fend off rot for months.

Green tinted glass seems to produce roots quickest for some reason.

Peace

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah, cloning can be a mite tricky when you're new in this hobby, that's for sure.

...anyway, here is a thread that is a sticky in the 'Growroom Design' subforum that was put together by FreezerBoy back a few years ago to help folks who were struggling with cloning where he has compiled links to threads detailing different methods and styles of cloning, not all will fit all growers so he did his best to include the best examples of as many styles as he could find posted.

FreezerBoy's collection of cloning threads

and here is a link to the method i've been using for nearly 8 years that suits me to a tee, it's brain-dead simple to run, cheap as hell and about as solidly reliable a method as i've been able to find in the 10 years i've been cloning cannabis. ...80% rooted clones your first try is not out of line if you follow the few simple rules and after a couple 3 runs 90%+ should become routine.

...the ice-tube-trays are gettin' hard to find but i've lately been using some popsicle molds i got on ebay for like 3 bucks a pop that work just fine, anyway, here's a pic of some roots and a couple shots of one of my new popsicle mold cloners, that last with some cuts i'm getting ready to start that have been in the fridge for a couple weeks waiting for me to get a little getupoffmyass, ...i'm a lazy phuck by nature so i'm pretty lackadaisical in my approach to this shit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...cloning isn't magic so just relax and stick with it and soon you'll get a handle on how to make it work for you.

peace, bozo

CoCoSativas

if the stems are turning to mush it's because it's too warm. keep em a little cooler. but not cold. :tiphat:

Or too wet it's Rockwood dampening off is likely.

Try gh rapid rooters.

I saw what Tonys been doing none of that shit works fast enough for me. Alot if guys have problems with Rockwood and go to water cloning but the newer plugs on the market are badass

Do you scrape the woody stems with razor blade? If not, scrape the wood off and expose the soft green tissues that the woody bark is hiding. Is the whole stem mush? Or just where it meets the rockwool? How does the rest of plant look aside from the stem? Droopy or normal? Bleach at 1/4tsp per five gallons of water works wonders for slow rooters. How are other types doing? If it's cold in there I assume the other strains that are rooting are moving a little slow at the beginning? With the info provided I'd have to agree with the damping off from cold Temps. Either that or a pathogen. I don't like the brown plugs myself, but know a lot of folks that use them. I think rw makes healthier roots. Sounds like the rw needs to dry out a little bit more/faster. I've used every method of cloning out there since '97 and I've only seen mush with pathogens or cold water. I've had slow rooters take 2-3weeks on some ultra finicky strains and still no mush if Temps are correct. Maybe try to move the light further away and heat the area more. Also try the dome for a while longer on a few others and see what works better. If it's cold inside the dome, it'll make things worse since the cubes won't dry out as quickly. If they do good and the others don't, you know it was just too dry in there. I like to keep the clones on a rack completely covered in poly plastic with a zipper. It keeps the humidity up high enough for no dome and keep Temps from fluctuating as much. Lately I've been using no dome with 100%success. Usually the woodier stemmed plants are more durable as cuts even if they take longer to root so this problem doesn't seem like it's related to that, but never say never I guess. Good luck

Loc Dog

Veteran
Thanks, I have it under control now. It was cold this winter.

Thanks, I have it under control now. It was cold this winter.

The cold is the main culprit as they want humidity and warmer temps. If you want to take it to the next level make your 45degree clone cuts underwater.

When you pull it out slowly the bead of water seals it up until it hits the cloning gel that seals it up. This prevents leaf drupe and promotes a healthy stem.

I now clone outside by putting clones into bare soil with no clone gel. I then put a see thru bucket on top with some airflow underneath. This takes 2-3 weeks but works good too.

Glad you got it corrected try out the cuts underwater some time it goes fast in a shallow dish.

Did you know that most synthetic fertilizers contain chemicals derived from nature and natural sources?

So when you promote going organic taste better it really is nonsense.:laughing:

Some synthetic fertilizers contain chemicals that help the uptake of nutrients but thats a whole other topic.

Fun fact*Flushing a plant does not just wipe the nutrients out of the bud or leaves. This kind of thinking is not science based.

Bongstar420

The crappiest bud I ever smoked was 100% organic.

For clones, you want 80f root zone temps with 75f canopy temps. The O2 levels in the root zone need to be very high. I don't know why people like rock wool. I've found that 6-8in of perlite sub irrigated with a heat mat is fool proof. The only problems are getting pythium in the water for using recycled nutes when the first roots pop- use clean stuff every time till fully grown roots are on every clone. I always get crappy clones at 70f root zone.

Did you know that most synthetic fertilizers contain chemicals derived from nature and natural sources?

So when you promote going organic taste better it really is nonsense.:laughing:

Some synthetic fertilizers contain chemicals that help the uptake of nutrients but thats a whole other topic.

Fun fact*Flushing a plant does not just wipe the nutrients out of the bud or leaves. This kind of thinking is not science based.

Latest posts

Latest posts