What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not even sure what I'm looking for - strains for epileptics?

M

MrSterling

Hey ic, I've come again seeking your wisdom. A friend of mine who suffers from a bad form of epilepsy. It's a really strange form that's taken doctors years to figure out, and the doctor has told he's fine smoking pot, but if he drinks alcohol it could put him into a seizure and literally kill him. Luckily the guy smokes like a chimney and isn't too much of a drinker, but his dad asked me if I knew of any medical varieties which were helpful for epileptics. I don't have the answer to this, but I know there are some serious medical people here who might. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pax vobis,
Mr. Sterling

resinman2

You might try Grapefruit krush, 2046 as being the best for epileptics. Bangi haze is also good, but not as good as the first two. Hope this helps!

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
CBD is meant to be the helpful part for epliepsy, so try him on cannatonic or one of the other CBD rich strains, or CBD rich extracts.

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I myself have a seizure disorder and find that stress is a major trigger for my nocturnal grand mal seizures.

Strains with anti-anxiety effects like blueberry and chem sister are very helpful in my day to day well-being.

send me a pm if you have anymore questions :)

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Autofloweiring strains are known to be CBD rich from their ruderalis heritage and may offer some relief.
For medical use i suggest you to buy regular seeds from reputable AF breeders and make your own stock (many companies are sadly releasing af as fem only nowadays).
Check out the AF sub-forum.

Good luck

=K

M

MrSterling

Thanks, guys! I had a feeling a high CBD strain was what it would be. Most of the medical info I've read seems to revolve around CBD. I wish there was more of a push for high CBD instead of high THC. I'll check those suggestions out.

M

MrSterling

I looked into the 2046 and I'm confused. It says it's a pure haze but then says it's a sativa/indica hybrid. I was under the impression haze has its roots solely in sativa.

M

MrSterling

x18 from Tom Hill.

peace
jip

I've never smoked anything from Tom Hill, but by god do I have a lot of respect for the man! Well spoken and incredibly educated about the plant. I wish there were more like him involved in the "industry".

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
id like to read more on this i got a mate whos got epilepsy and he cant smoke weed any more wish there was a strain that could actually help him. anyone actually got epilepsy thars got experience on this? cheers

10160P1150009.JPG

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
well, I have a seizure disorder (I been seizure free for over 12 years) and have been off all medication except marijuana now for over one year.

I like the way x-18 makes me feel, to put it very simply. When I smoke something like Strawberry diesel, it can make me feel a little racy or paranoid and sometimes I interpret that like I could have a seizure.

whatever you do, have your friend stay away from the Black Haze....i did one bong hit of that once and thought for sure I was going to go down.

peace and good luck to your friend

jip

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
hehe..no black's......
i would suggest staying away from long flowering sativa's.....and sativa hybrids fwiw.....yes x-18 indeed is good med's.....still get's you where ya need to be without all the negative side effect's ie cotton mouth, groggy stone, stuff like that.....but you may need to do some searching for that purfect girl.....do you have access to clone only's?hope you find something to help your buddy out.......i did;)

M

MrSterling

do you have access to clone only's?

Oh god, I WISH! That would be a dream. I'm a non-grower in a non-medical state and not in any position to be growing atm unfortunately. But someday hopefully I will be, and I'm preparing my brain as much as I can before hand. My friend however *is* in Cali, and has options available. He's just the sort of guy who doesn't take initiative in something like this. I remember the first couple times he had a seizure and wouldn't even go to the doctor afterward. It'd be easy to sell him on the idea of some kind-bud helping him though.

This is a good starting place for me to do some more research. Thanks again to all!

brindle

I need this info as well! Has Tom's x-18 been tested? I wonder what the CBD:THC ratio actually is. I was going to go with Soma's RockBud (aka "A+") but encountered dozens of people who weren't happy with his business or germ rates these days.

monkey5

Veteran
brinde, I would go with Tom Hill's x-18!! For sale here & many places! Even in Cali. I believe! Everyone I have read having it..using it..loves x-18! Just my 2 cents! monkey5

brindle

Thank you, my friend. Are you aware of any actual CBD testing of the x-18??

According to this chart I found on the boards under a similar topic, it lists "THCV, CBD, and the terpene Linalool" as the best anti-epileptic properties of cannabis. From here we probably should look into a strain that is high in CBD and THCV which to me sounds like an unlikely combo as far as commercially available strains go, although I could be wrong. Linalool is present in the herb lavender so maybe the strain Lavender has a considerable amount.

Does anyone know of anywhere that tests cannabis for terpenes and not just cannabinoids?

Here is that chart I mentioned:
picture.php

brindle

THCV seems to be credited with "energetic" or stimulant effects like I was thinking, but not sure how true or how anecdotal that is. If it is true though then maybe due to the effects of the CBD and nuances from the Linalool, THCV might be good to balance things out and make you feel more "neutral" and less intoxicated?

Does anyone know of any studies showing the effects of isolated THCV by itself?

*edit* - Contrary to my own intuition THCV may be anti-epileptic in itself! I'm looking more into this with whatever reputable sources I can find on this but I'm very new to these matters. Any help or input is appreciated!

M

MrSterling

Brindle, thank you for the chart! I'm all rep'd out for the day, but I'll hit you tomorrow!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I have alot of experience with epilepsy and meds related to this issue.

I would first look into what medications has seizures as a possible side effect first and foremost. If you continue causing the issue then no herb will seem to work if right after you pop a medication that is causing it.

Now if that gets ruled out completely and btw look into passed medication etc.

the strains that will work best is not simply a CBD strain. I am sick of hearing that CBD strains are what cure everything because CBD is the medical part in weed and CBD is just fucking amazing.... It isn't that simple and while cbd is amazing that isn't the cure all especially with something like epilepsy and seizure disorders in general.

Any strain that brightens lights around you are NOT good, anything that makes time stretch are not good. What that does is give that "shutter affect" that can trigger a seizure.

Another big issue is smoking weed while playing video games. The color changes mixed with an herb that spaces you out can induce this as well.

Step one - remove any side effect meds

Step two - give time for all meds to be removed BUT if these meds above need to be taken see if there is something else that does NOT cause seizures as a side effect. Many bi polar and anti depressants can and do cause seizures but they forget to tell you that part, fucking assholes

Step three - locate LOW STRENGTH marijuana, you do not want potency but rather allowing the meds to get in. You do not want to eat STRONG meds either with seizure issues as you cannot stop the meds from working and if they are causing that "shutter affect" (those without this issue will not get what this means) can't really get it to stop.

Start with weak ass weed is pretty much my point but only after all meds are removed that could be causing this. Do not focus on HIGH CBD meds as that is pretty much all EVERYONE will tell you. Its like that catch all which I think is bullshit, to those pushing cbd and find my statements rude or wrong, please enlighten me.

hope this helps someone

M

MrSterling

Medmaker, thanks for the detailed response. There was a lot to it that I as a non-epileptic wouldn't have thought of. My epileptic friend is a huge fan of vegging out smoking and playing video games, and now that you mention to it that's exactly what he was doing both times I've seen him have seizures.

Do you have anything further to share regarding actual medical use of cannabis? It's a topic I'm fascinated with, but it seems that many just use the medical system as an excuse to get recreationally high. I don't mean any offense towards people using it as a medicine, and you have my full apologies if it's come of that way. It just appears, given the situation with the medical system in states like California, and the popularity of super-strong THC-high strains(which to me would indicate recreational use over medical), that many use the system to legitimize recreational use. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places, but I've had a hard time finding information on cannabinoids and medical use that weren't A)incredibly outdated or B)Horribly biased against cannabis from page one. It's silly that the plant is illegal to begin with, but that's another story.

I'm interested in CBD, so your comment that it might not be all it's cracked up to be, or made out to be, interests me as well. Could you elaborate?

Latest posts

Latest posts