What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000w bulb in 600w ballast?

WasntMe

the easy answer: NO

there are a bunch of analogies that can be used here to express a mismatched equipment situation but a simple "No" should work for you, correct?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Don't play with electricity....a 1000W globe goes in a 1000W ballast.

krompir

why do you think there are 1000w ballasts on market if the bulb would work with 600W ballast. You can use 600W bulb on 1000w but bulb wont work for a long time, maybe few hours . 1000w bulb on 600w ballast is NO GO.

WasntMe

What are you trying to do?
more then likely... trying to avoid leaving the couch to get the correct equipment.
1637.gif

atarijedi

I don't know if it will fire, but if it did. I think it would work, it just wouldn't be as bright.

The purpose of a ballast is to limit the amount of current the bulb can pull, since HIDs aren't self-limiting like an incandescent bulb.

Aren't they also big step-up transformers to raise the voltage enough to fire? I don't know, I don't know enough about electricity, but I do know this:

If the OP needs to ask a question like this, I am left to seriously wonder if he has the mental capacity to run hid lights in the first place.

Bushboy65

So OP asks a question most of us wouldn't try. Some because they follow instructions, some because they actually know better, but, just maybe the OP knows the answer, but is in a bind 800 km from the nearest hydro shop and his spare bulb went poof when he needed it. Just maybe there is an expert out there that can tell him how he can save his room. Why do forums collect these people that have to question the posters sanity, motivation, or capability rather than answer the question?

PS the answer is no. Maybe you could source some flourescent lighting or use lower wattage HIDs from a building supply store to get you through a day or 2 until you can replace your 600.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Knew someone that ran a 1000w hps in a 400w digital ballast for at least 2 grows. (Not sure if 'digital' makes any difference here)

The ballast did not run abnormally hot and the lamp did actually produce some bud... not due to their growing abilities, that's for sure. Total and complete whack job, that pair.

No... they were under the assumption it was a 1000w ballast. *shrug*

This is NOT a 'go ahead' to use a 1000w in a 600w ballast, just sharing details I'm aware of.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
Why do they make dimmer ballast then? My 1000 watt worked just fine on 600 mode! Come on guys dont make me point out the obvious. Of course it works its just a dimmed bulb.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Why do they make dimmer ballast then? My 1000 watt worked just fine on 600 mode! Come on guys dont make me point out the obvious. Of course it works its just a dimmed bulb.

True... Safety says don't use a 600w or less in a 1000w ballast. The reverse should be fine.

:peacock: <--- Cute

Bigge

A lot late to the party....but here is my 2 cent, this does work in a pinch...bulb is dimmer, initially did this briefly when ballasts got confused....could see the difference. Used it again temporarily during veg until I had the chance to replace ballast....saw no ill effects other than dimness was less than that of the 600w bulb in the same setup...the 1000w bulb ran dimmer than the 600w so I would rather keep 600w with 600w ballast and 1000w with 1000w ballast.

Latest posts

Latest posts