What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ipad 2?

Hubbleman

Veteran
I was at my cellular retailer this morning and they had a white ipad2 on display.

I must say, that thing looks impressive.

But it cost more than a laptop!

Anyone got it yet?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Haven't even seen it.

I've had one indirect experience with Apple. My sister bought a laptop 10 years ago. It had half the typical processing and memory of the contemporary Windows competitor - at 2x the price. I started to mention the price but she just gave me the look that says, "It's an Apple so STFU".:)

58% of global, tablet market-share is nothing to sneeze at.

Are you planning to buy one?

Snoopster

Veteran
It is a great content viewer. If I traveled more I would buy one.
They are very slick toys for adults.

It is basically a bigger iphone that doesn't make calls.

If you have the money to piss away on it, do it.

T

TrichyTrichy

You can make calls. APP to APP, Check out viber and skype app's.

GrassRoots

I've had some firsthand experience with apple. I'm typing on my IMac now. It may have had less speed and memory than a comparable windows based computer at the time I purchased it but I've never noticed it being slow or effecting my experience.

I've had this computer for 5 years now, downloaded tons of questionable material (you know what I'm talking about), and I've never had it freeze up on me. It still only takes 40 seconds to start up from being turned off. I've never had to buy or renew or update any stupid antivirus or antispam programs. It also is a sexy looking computer to boot.

Give an idiot like me a windows computer, and a couple of years of questionably downloaded content, and watch how slow I can make that computer run. Watch it take 5 or 6 minutes to start up. I know some of you must know what I'm talking about.

That's what I like about my mac. I'm not tech savvy. I don't want to stay up to date on the latest security programs and tactics. I just want to surf the web, organize my music and photos, download my pirated content and have my computer keep doing its thing without me having to learn about how I f*cked it up again and how I'm going to have to try to fix it. I'll gladly pay double the standard price once every 5-10 years for a computer that does that for me.

OP - If you've got the cash, I'm betting you'll pay more for the ipad than some other brand of a similar device but IMO apple products are worth it.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
They are awesome for what they are. A good laptop might have better specs, but won't have the apps or multitouch. Windows tablets might someday be competitors, but not for $500.

I'm totally a PC guy, and the only Apple product I've ever owned is the iPad 2. I love it-coolest toy ever!

Snoopster

Veteran
I've had some firsthand experience with apple. I'm typing on my IMac now. It may have had less speed and memory than a comparable windows based computer at the time I purchased it but I've never noticed it being slow or effecting my experience.

I've had this computer for 5 years now, downloaded tons of questionable material (you know what I'm talking about), and I've never had it freeze up on me. It still only takes 40 seconds to start up from being turned off. I've never had to buy or renew or update any stupid antivirus or antispam programs. It also is a sexy looking computer to boot.

Give an idiot like me a windows computer, and a couple of years of questionably downloaded content, and watch how slow I can make that computer run. Watch it take 5 or 6 minutes to start up. I know some of you must know what I'm talking about.

That's what I like about my mac. I'm not tech savvy. I don't want to stay up to date on the latest security programs and tactics. I just want to surf the web, organize my music and photos, download my pirated content and have my computer keep doing its thing without me having to learn about how I f*cked it up again and how I'm going to have to try to fix it. I'll gladly pay double the standard price once every 5-10 years for a computer that does that for me.

OP - If you've got the cash, I'm betting you'll pay more for the ipad than some other brand of a similar device but IMO apple products are worth it.

I don't have a problem with over priced, solid machines.

I bought a pc laptop for $600. The same specs on a mac would have run me over $2000.

My computer turns on in less than a minute.
It doesn't freeze up on me.
I have never had a virus, don't have to pay or do any crazy updates. The whole "macs don't gets viruses and pc's do" is a bit misleading. Most viruses are made by attention whores. They make them on pc because there are more people using pc's. More people = more targets. It is easy to prevent viruses on a pc, that is a terrible and misleading selling point.

The part about the idiot that doesn't know how to maintain a computer... I don't spend time dealing with slowness or anything like that. I will agree that apples are better if the person in question is an idiot (your word).

I learned how to use computers on pc's. I don't want to relearn a new computer deal.

That's what I like about my mac. I'm not tech savvy. I don't want to stay up to date on the latest security programs and tactics. I just want to surf the web, organize my music and photos, download my pirated content and have my computer keep doing its thing without me having to learn about how I f*cked it up again and how I'm going to have to try to fix it.

None of that is an issue for me. I do not understand how people can fuck up their computers so much.

Again, I agree that apple products are great, but they are too spendy for me. I can get way more value out of a $600 pc than a $2000 mac.

I have played with ipads before (they are toys) and they are great for viewing content and such.

If you have the cash, why not get an ipad? I'd buy one if I traveled more. I have the cash for a mac computer but that isn't going to happen, it isn't worth it for me.

T

TrichyTrichy

If you use Vonage for example. You can use app (Time to Talk) to app (imports your contact list) and it calls using your data plan or WIFI.

So, either you can pay for a call or not.

Snoopster

Veteran
If you use Vonage for example. You can use app (Time to Talk) to app (imports your contact list) and it calls using your data plan or WIFI.

So, either you can pay for a call or not.

Let it go.

If you bought the wifi ipad and sat in my backyard, you could not make calls, no matter what app or skype (lol) you had. If you had an iphone and sat in my backyard, you could make calls.

It is a big iphone that does not make calls.

Duplicate

Depends what you want to do with it.
If you just want to browse the Internet, sure.

Realtime audio processing, virtual synthesizers, vj stuff ? Not on android, not yet.

Indeed. Though, even before that time comes, I'd still rather have the freedom of the Galaxy.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
we have a ipad 2 sitting here, collecting dust, just got it for XMAS.....

with a computer and a smartphone, there is NO NEED for one...

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
I use an ipad2. Fiancé bought it as a gift. Was reluctant a first, now it I only use my laptop to upload pics and DL music. That's it

Latest posts

Latest posts