What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFT Table surface

jacobite

Hi, Have been using corrugated plastic sheet (corex) on table, over waterproof membrane with 'spreader-mat' on top. Want to use bubble-wrap instead of the corex. Reasons :- More irrigation channels, 'cross' irrigation and easier to bring into and out of building (shhh - secret squirrel) - any thoughts on this folks and has anyone used this method? Or am I completely Mad:jump: Thanks

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Hi J,

I have played with different surfaces, seen lots of different stuff work. What you basically want is a Film of water.. it is the F in NFT, so most run it on flat channel bottoms. Looking at newer ideas, like Nutriculture's 2and gen tank kits, you see fast runoff channels, set out like a brick wall, others I have seen just have the fast runoff channels either side.. It will all work, but for me, if I was building another, I would look at some faster runoff areas and a material that lets me make that simply, easily and reliably.

Have fun :)

aribo

Thanks for the info (Wasn't registered so used a friends Acc)
I have the tables made so just looking for the "run off" material - Either that or buy one?

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Do you mean you are looking for a liner for the tables, or Spreader Mat ?

The best spreader mat is the one the grow shops sell, the finest grade of Fiberglass, it is called "tissue" in proper Fiberglass shops, but just "spreader mat" in a UK grown shop.

If you mean liner, Builders membrane is strong, but inflexible, but hard to get totally flat, good quality pond liner is usually easier to get right. Spray glue can be good for fixing, used carefully... If you use thinner plastic, like the 85u or 105u Black/White or White/Black/White from growshops, it is not as strong and you can accidentally make holes in it during use, not just leaks, but also potentially leaching other substances into the growing solution. I managed to do this with MDF, the glue and other nasties in that stuff are not good for MJ.....

The best solution I found was to paint the whole table with 2 pack Fiberglass resin, no need for a liner, no chance to make any silly holes in it... It also fits in a couple of tins, so your neighbours will not get suspicious.

Andyo

Veteran
twinwall poly carbonate

twinwall poly carbonate

I used twinwall poly carbonate the 25 mm stuff and drilled staggered holes in top side to stop damming then put spreader matt on so flat surface no damming excess runs through the carbonate tubes .
you will get a few roots inside the channels but i never got root rot or wilt.A

aribo

Thanks for the feedback. My tables are 1/2" T&G flooring panels (8' x 4' finished), 3"x 2" studding as edges and to hold it together. Blue builders WP membrane (this is also my g/room floor).

Thank you Andyo, but Choas' 'resin' paint-job does it for me - Reason:- Easy to clean between grows and no leaching of 'nasties' (and of course, Shh - Secret Squirrel):)

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
The Molyneux book "A practical guide to NFT" is the Bible... a complete guide to all the different materials you can make NFT systems from, aimed more at the hobby tomato grower it shows how you can make systems for pennies, 101 different ways.

Latest posts

Latest posts