What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding indica plants with sativa for improved outdoor growing.

L

lloy

Hi all my goal is to breed indica with sativa to improve mold resistance size and vigor . I have deepchunk erdpurt and sensi star as my indica plants. My sativa's are dtc99, Sam s tai haze x skunk, arne, jamil, lowland yucitan, and a mess of crosses from last year. I looking for some suggestions on which to cross and more specifically which to use as fathers indica or sativa? Any input from anyone that has walked this path would be appreciated.

open pollinate.all of them.them make ur selection outside in the enviro ur breeding for.b sure 2 clone the most you can.try all of them!lol.because when you find the 1 thats stands out the first round.youll have the clone and you can use that.for ''even'' ''group'' growth.idk my breeding methods are thouse of a blind man.lol peace.

L

lloy

Open pollination crosed my mind but the way it is going to go is. Erdpurt and DC will be used as mothers for the first cross and will be hit with dtc99, jamil, Cali O x arne, and yucitan . The following cross will be going in two directions 1 potency hardiness mold resistance, 2 color hardiness mold resistance. not sure what kind of smells will come out of this. I will be breading the following generations for a more sativa leaning pheno.

inquest

I would choose my males from a strain that produces a high percentage of "keeper" females. This means to me that this strain also produces a high percentage of "keeper" males. Making selection much easier on you. Or you could reverse your best ladies....

I also agree that you should make subsequent selections in the environment that you intend to grow in, if possible.

Plus, selecting parents that compliment each other is a tried and tested method. IE: High yield/ lower potency crossed to lower yield/ higher potency.... or whatever traits the parents may be lacking in.

My 2 cents, anyway. :)

WelderDan

Veteran
If I recall correctly, DJ Short likes to use Indica on the male side and Sativa on the female side. One brings quality of high and taste, while the other brings structure and potency. (Sorry, too lazy to dig up the exact quote)

Personally, I would use the Sativas as the female and the Indicas as the male, as well as using the Indicas as the female and the Sativas as the males.

Sometimes genes combine in funky ways and what sounds good in theory may taste like ass in practice.

DTC99 and Thai/Haze females hit with DC and Sensi Star pollen sound like winners to me, but the reverse might be better. One combination may be good, but reverse the parents and it might be dynamite. Or it might be crap. That's why I suggest doing it both ways if you find suitable parents.

Regardless, you can at least expect hybrid vigor no matter what.

L

lloy

erdpurt male to dtc99 female ,also dtc99 male and erdpurt female . Then combine looking for the best phenotypes representing my breeding plan. I am going for potancy and mold resistance 1st. I will keep the p1 parents and go through the f's for for my desired smell and appropriate structure. This initial cross should make some intersting variations.

Latest posts

Latest posts