What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit grail project: my hunt for a pheno (long)

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dear Icmag,
It’s been a long time since my last post,
But today I’m really happy to share this experience with you all.
Today I’m sowing my last seeds of what I called “Grapefruit grail project”.
This is only a part in a strange journey I’ve took in search of the perfect grapefruit smelling plant in the last 5 years.

Everything begun in 2006 when I first smoked a joint of NYCD from Soma seeds while in Amsterdam.
Saying I felt in love with that weed is reductive, I got something more than an obsession for it.
It was great: real red ripe grapefruit taste that was the same as smell, it filled your mouth completely and for minutes after joint that wonderful taste lingered in your mouth like you kept on licking your fingers after you’ve peeled lots of agrumes… And potency! Wow! Always noticeable after any weed out there, NYCD stood out for having a joyful and up high which is still nowadays one of my favourite in Ams. For years it’s been the herb that I usually smoke before leaving Holland, to feel the last time the freedom of medicate with such good stuff in plain sight and have a good taste in my mouth on the plane coming back home…I thought I WANT more!

It was great when I first bought my pack of Soma seeds.They were bought in Dampkrieg growshop in front of central station, together with Soma’s book. While I was paying for it at the counter Soma himself walked in the shop. I was able to meet and talk to the breeder of the seeds I was actually buying in this moment. He signed my book and gave me his benediction.
It’s been nearly 5 years of growing/living aside of NYCD, and unfortunately I’m not satisfied with the phenos I found with these seeds.
So far I’ve planted a total of 35 seeds of original NYCD from Soma. All those beans came directly from Soma’s hands, no fake, all regular seeds.

picture.php

My first batch was with 5 seeds. 3 males and 2 females. I grew this batch 6 cycles, indoor on hydro, soil and Soma’s soilbeds, outdoor 2 seasons, trying to replicate that flavour I met in A’dam, but my plants looked and smelled different (later I realized they were some Afghan-hawaian pheno).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Incredible plants: tall sativa, 12 weeks flowering time, incredible hybrid vigor, hardness to pest and bad conditions, fresh fruity floral taste and smell, but far from being grapefruit!

One male was used for breeding.

Also a couple of F2 were planted, but no grapefruit!
I had 5 seeds left, maybe that pheno could be among those, but I got 4 males and only one female more. Super sativa one, super floral (rose, and violets) smell and taste, very vigorous but not grapefruit again.
I talked to Soma about this, he said it was easy to find a grapefruit sport and I decided to get some more 10 seeds of NYCD and 10 seeds of NYCD x G13Haze.

picture.php

picture.php

From NYCD I got 4 more females ( I admit I got a poor m/f ratio with those ones…), all being incredible, robust, vigorous plants BUT no grapefruit!!!
Better results in terms of smell were found in G13haze line. My NYG #2 was the closest of all to that wonderful smell, but still it is slightly different: begins as pungent hazy, greasy smell as you approach first your nose, then grapefruit appears behind leaving a good ligt aftertaste of bitter oranges that lingers for minutes. I was happy!!
NYg#1 followed being a bit more indica as plant, less grapefruit smelling, but more pronounced in taste. Good m/f ratio with those being 6/4.
A couple of those were haze leaning phenos, long flowering, dry woody smell tinted of fruit, more potent and cerebral in high, BUT not grapefruit! To mention a good male NYG#7 which was the best smelling plant of all, very vigorous.

picture.php

But when in Amsterdam again, I realized from the first smell out of that NYCD box in the coffeeshop that mine wasn’t even close to that! Dutch weed looked better: big fat calyxes that revealed a sort of indica parentage, very compact and tight buds, very resinous on every part, masterfully grown, but looked a different plant to the best I could achieve at home in best condition.
I blamed on myself and promised to do better with my plants and give a try to new 5 seeds regular.

picture.php

To sum up, almost 2 ½ years spent to hunt for that grapefruit pheno and no success!
I revisited all my growing technique and skills and gave a try to the last 5 original seeds regular, deciding to look for a more indica style plant and hoping for some grapefruit.
As earlier I got 3 males and 2 females. The latter looked very similar to the ones I had previously, and one of them smelled like a sort of strawberry, but no grapefruit. The males looked a bit more promising: fatter indica leaves than the previous males, a tint of fruitness and grape in there. Almost close? But what to do? I decided to mate my NYG2, the best smelling and tasting plant to an array of males I encountered. I had 5 different males coupled: a NYG#7 and three males with indica leaves from last batch and the first male met 3 years before from which I could see the offsprings already.
Meanwhile I tested NYG7 with sour diesel, chocolope and ak47 to try potency and I was quite satisfied with results.
So I sowed 50 more F2 seeds, a mix of NYCD x NYCDG13haze#2 and NYGH2 x NYGH7.
I grew them, sexed them and flowered the clones for 3-4 weeks to see the first resin.
Then I chose the very best 3 females, using a criteria of selection based on grapefruit smell alone.
Only 3 out of 30 females smelled grapefruit, with different tones and bitterness.
The best smelling plants came out of NYG13H F2 (#8 and #9).
Are we dealing so with a recessive trait? Soma told me it is quite frequent to meet a good grapefruit smelling plant, but indeed I had a lot of work to be done before achieving this result. He was lucky as he met this pheno on the 6th seed planted. This pheno is still circulating in Amsterdam.
Now these 3 selected plants are flowering beautifully. 8th week. Still 2-3 weeks to go.
3 different phenos: one (NYG2 x NYC3) is really close to her mother in appearance and smell.
NYGH F2 #8 is a super sativa looking plant, growing as a beast and super foxtailed. Fast flowering although, not more than 3 weeks to go. The smell of this one is the best achieved so far: bitter and sweet grapefruit peel is all there, mixed with a strong kick of fresh flowery sativa. Just move some leaves indirectly and you smell the grapefruit, gently squeeze one calyx and there’ll be no soap to cover it, almost embarrassing…
I’m closer this time but what a pain! Anyway it’s similar, not the same as amsterdam’s…
Need to test potency.
#9 is smaller and is more indica, good grapefruit taste but begins with a strong musky smell, it’s fruity as a backsmell, after the musk is gone.
Growing so many NY plants I noticed anyway that a good cure is a must to refine the grapefruit, only after 2 months after harvest that hazy-musky smell leaves place to fruitness to its best.

Just as a note, last year I flowered 5 female chisel. Lots of resin, beautifully smelling plants, but NO HIGH! My tolerance is well in shape, but I smoked this variety just for taste: grape/grapefruit well dipped with cheese aroma. Very nice, but no High. Discarded.

picture.php

At the end I wasn’t satisfied yet. Soma himself offered me a clone of this pheno this year.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to carry it home, my hunt for grapefruit is not over yet…
So one month ago I begun to approach the problem under a new sight: I planted 40 seeds and called It “grapefruit grail project”.
I decided to try more variety that were labelled to be grapefruit and test’em.

picture.php

picture.php

I got 5 grapefruitdiesel and 5 dynamite 5 agent orange (together with 5 querkle and 5 vortex) and 3 NYCD (soma pheno) x bubblegum from a grower friend met in Amsterdam and least but not the last 2 spice from mrnice seeds.
About this one I have always liked the afghan-hawaian touch in a lot of Soma genetics, liked it in NYCD, even if it was too dominant for me in this cross, liked it Amnesia haze, in Spice from Mrnice is missing the afghan part, still conserving some agrume background. I’m very curious about this one.
Today it’s the turn of 5 NYCD female from Soma, (he handed me those beans, being sure it’s the right time, as e said that those were the best NYCD seeds ever made, very very close to that grapefruit pheno I’m looking for), sided with 4 Female seeds grapefruit to compare.
New seedling after a month have already among the best grapefruit smell I met till now, but a lot of small variations are already noticeable. More in the future about this as I see some resin.

Thank you for getting through all this long post, now you can understand why it can be called an obsession.
More than 100 seeds and a few years to find a smell. Hope to end this with a new variety, something like “100% True Grapefruit”, or “Grapefruit madness/obsession”.
I want to share all this with you, any question, clarification or comment is welcomed, sorry if something is a bit confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mellofello

Damn you sure are a man on a mission! Props to you bro you know what you want and your doing what it takes to get it. Not tried much NYCD in Adam but got offered soma's cut of it a while back. Might have to look into it as just reading your post got my mouth watering.

Good luck with the on going project dude, I for one would be interested in seeing what the finished cross will have to offer

peace

mello

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Have you ever considered Grapefruit Haze?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rowdy420

Dude thats an epic seed drop, I'm sure your going to find a few keepers in that lot. The pic of the NYCD looks very sativa. Update?

Good luck, peace

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Its an interesting read.I faced a simmilar situation when i smoked the Amnesia Haze in amsterdam 2yrs ago,but i could'nt find the genuine seeds to try find the Pheno.
I figured it down to 1 breeder Hy-pro seeds, but their out of stock.
several other companys carry the strain but thier all crosses of the original cut i belive.im not sure how simmilar they may be.Im in no circles to acquire cuts.
I wish i had half the expirience and patience you do...thankU..Always remain in harmony!!

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some update

Some update

Hallo friends, thank to everyone who gave a peep o grapefriut.
Some months have passed and I concluded the flowering of those 2 NYCDG13H F2.

-NYgH#8 was truly a beast! Long flowering (11weeks), haze leaning pheno. Super, super foxtailing. Really a foxtail queen.
She began very early in foxtailing like 5week of flw.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The best smelling of 2. Strong smell of bitter grapefruit peel. Very promising. When lit she displays a good undertone mixed with a very good indeed spicy-nutty flavour which is delicious and hereditated from NYG7 male.
(This flavor was actually part of another good cross I did with sour d).
Good potency, uplifting, high for sure. No paranoia. Kept for comparison.

-NYgH#9 looked different, more NYCD leaning,
picture.php

less fluffy buds, more dome like. Good grapefruit smell, with some hazyness in it. Nearly no grapefruit in taste, good buzz, but average. Discarded.
This is a comparison of bud density and shape.
picture.php

picture.php

The best expectations anyway come from the new round.
Harvest of first plants is coming in a week or so and I'm so excited.
Plants look beautiful, no problem of overfert or nutes or anything.
I'm running last days of AC to low temps a bit (hot summer temps are getting higher). So I'm triyng to get best smell and taste from them. Organic in soilbeds as always.

Out of 5 NYCD S1, 100% germ rate, even if one seed died after coming out and one is a dwarf. From the other 3 I had best indica looking NY I ever experienced. Leaves are so fat! And fast flowering....
Now they're showing the typical NYCD cola, but the one you can see in Soma's book, very, very similar.
Smell is total grapefruit this time!!:jump::jump:
Even if with some slight variation, I'm getting the closest ever!
Sad to get here through femmed seeds. Anyway we need to do the smoking test, it's half of the cake!

picture.php

Best expectations come anyway from others seeds I have.

-Grapefruit from female seeds are 4 different looking plants: quite sativa looking, long colas, good vigor. All plants are looking different. Only one of them is showing grapefruit smell though. Sweet and candy smelling, not exceptional on other traits. They display an heavy double dented trait on leaves.

picture.php

-GrapefruitDiesel look more promising anyway. Stronger plants, they show hybrid vigor, a leaf in the middle between indica NY and grapefruit. Smell is very good from all the 3 females I had. A sort of sweeter candy like nycd. But really good! She shows a faster maturing, even if colas are a bit longer and smaller than NYCDS1.
picture.php

-Dynamite showed a smaller version of grapefruit, but a bit more refined. More uniform in growth patterns, same double dented leaves as gr, but more indica looking. Fast flowering, nearly ready at 7th week. Good soft grapfruit tone in smell. I think good for outdoor, as I see a cola not so prune to mold I think.

-NYCD x BUBBLEGUM: WOW! More NYCD looking plants than Soma's. LArge leaves, sweet smelling from the beginning.
Strong hybrid vigor, they're still building up large long colas. Bub male improved sweetnes in smell and added some typcal bub funk to NY. Grapefruitness, if analyzed alone is a bit in the background, but well melted with bubblegum. They're showing the larger colas of the round, maybe a bit longer to flower. VERY GOOD!!

picture.php

-Agent Orange: BEST OVERALL! I wanted grapefruit dank? I got orange dank!! Wow guys, this is dank.
Strong plant, doubled in stretching adn shows frosted compact buds. But this is the beast that are making my apartment smelling orange. If you just look at them you perceive the orange. If you smell them your nose is filled at first with some strong sweet lemony tart funk, followed instantly by a strong smell of pure oranges, like mature orange peels that resemble an artificial orange lollipop. Smell sticks in your nostrils and on your finger for 10 minutes later! It's impressive the potency of this smell.
Orange smell is there from the 2nd week of flowering. One plant is mor Jack the ripper pheno, one is more Orange velvet like. Both are super impressive.

picture.php

-Vortex: same as above. Super DANK! but we're outside the baloon of grapefruit. It's a sort of lemon-pinapple funk, skunky smelling. 4 look like Apollo 13, one is more slender and with bigger calyxes and more reeking. Can't wait to test these. They're finished at week 7. First to be chopped down.

picture.php

-Spice: the most NYCD looking plant to the pheno I used to see with SOma's NYCD. Is this from the true hawaian parent stock?
(afghan hawaian male was from Shanibaba indeed, respect Shanti!:tiphat:)
No grapefruit here, just a faint idea of this (but actually I find some parellels with grapefruit from female seeds...). Most sativa looking plants, very vigorous, very large, very long colas, seem a 12-14week flower.

picture.php

picture.php

I had some good males also. I didn't miss the occasion to pollinate everything with some SOUR IBL, some Querkle, some NYCD BUB and Agent Orange pollen. The latter are looking the most promising.

To complete there are 2 SSSDH from Rez which are doing very fine. More on this later.

To Dawn patrol: sure I considered that! but this time I wanted to avoid some haze cross, too many NYCDG13Haze till now, so I wanted something purer. Have you tried this one?
Tnx Rowdy, Azad and Mellofellow for stopping by!

Grapefruit project is going on, I'll keep updated, thanks everyone for your time, I know it's precious
peace
Dr.P

Last edited:

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
Thanks 4 shring you infos bro :tiphat:

nice that you finde Orange pheno on Agent Orange.
I have to say thats very esay with that strain 4 orange taste.
Thave you not found in Grapefurit strain from female seeds real small & taste ?

peace & green vibes :ying:
DiMoDz

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Dr P -

great project, thanks for the detailed update! I haven't tried that strain, but your pics and descriptions are awesome. Can't wait to see more!

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
i forget to say have you tried SweetPinkGrapefruit from Steve (SoL) .,?

that have real Grapefruit small & taste

dieselbyrd

Hi Dr.Penthotal i hate to interrupt your thread but i would like to ask u a question about breeding since it seems you know your stuff about locking in traits. If you had a recessive pheno in a sour bubble plant(super frosty) and you also had a recessive pheno in a sweet island skunk (which is considered a stabilized hybrid) that is much more sativa than normal how would you go about locking in those traits. sour bubble seems to be too indica for vert so i would like to improve my yield by crossing it. i was thinking i should cross them then if no phenos emerge that look just like either parent i would cross best male and fem to make f2's then find males in the f2 that exhibit more sativa structure and cross with any fems that show the original resin production. I would then use colloidial silver to self any female plants showing both traits. I know thats alot but does it seem right thus far?

D

dramamine

Dr. P---
Thanks for sharing your project...best luck with your search. Sounds like you're closing in on what you seek, though the journey can be the destination, too. Cool thread..

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i forget to say have you tried SweetPinkGrapefruit from Steve (SoL) .,?

that have real Grapefruit small & taste

Nope.
Not yet! :)
I respect SOL a lot, but I haven't tried much from him.
I would love to try this, but not so easy to find seeds, as well as I'd like to try new sweet tooth 4 IBL, sounds real grapefruit. MMMHH...
Any infos on those?
they can be a very good point of start.
Which was the best grapefruit you met?

If you had a recessive pheno in a sour bubble plant(super frosty) and you also had a recessive pheno in a sweet island skunk (which is considered a stabilized hybrid) that is much more sativa than normal how would you go about locking in those traits. sour bubble seems to be too indica for vert so i would like to improve my yield by crossing it. i was thinking i should cross them then if no phenos emerge

Are you talking of the same trait (frosty) on both plants?
If it so, crossing two recessive will lead to the recessive as well in siblings. Try to cross them and see what happens.
Understanding the way traits behave needs often empirical testing, if not someone is telling you.
When you see results in offsprings you can sum up datas and see how each trait tends to cross... It's difficuolt to predict in advance without testing. Keep me updated!

Dr. P---
Sounds like you're closing in on what you seek, though the journey can be the destination, too. Cool thread..

True, man!
I saw some land of a grapefruit island, off a journey in the sea of marijuana....
smile.gif

And during this I met some very interesting variety.
I chopped down Agent orange 3 and orange is all in there beyond a sweet lemon fuzz. WOW!
I love orange too now!
There are some slightly different grapefruit aromas also in the grapefruit, grapefruit diesel, NYCD, and dynamite...
Can't wait to taste those to see if smell transitions well to taste.
Mixing these genes can be interesting.
Agrumes grail project?
tnx for support to everyone, I'm near final test, soon a smoke report...
peace
Dr. P

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
More are on the way to the Bay/Boo.

Very nice!
I'm reading the loong post of swt4 and I'm building up some excitement!
These look like real magic beans!
This one looks a perfect ingredient to mix with my grapefruit salad.
mmmmmmmhhhhh!!!!
Hope there will be plenty of those available,
thank you
Dr.P

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
So the SPG is there only as a clone only, but the seeds again Alpine SPG S1 produce beans again.
Can you say happy again when so much is modest. SoL has been producing for many years no more beans.
He has now become wine grower. But luckily there are still some member have the clone only strains :D

are my favorite grapefruit strains:

SPG - SoL
C99 Grapefruit Pheno from Brohter Grimm
NYCD Grapefruit Pheno - Soma
Grapefruit - Female Seeds
ST#3 - SoL

peace

Last edited:

dieselbyrd

i will do Doc! :) Also going to be looking into getting some of those tga subcools strains that seem to be all the rage lol

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
You might check out Mosca'a C99? I got a pk of bx1's that I'm itchin to pop!
Hoping for a Pineapple from those myself, got a cut of SPG whenever I want it. Passed because of mold tendencies so far, gotta run'er eventually tho.
She's grapefruit for sure! ;)

Good luck, you've paid yer dues :)

S

stickey fingers

ruby red grape fruit

ruby red grape fruit

:ying:wishing you the best of luck:ying:
RIP DR JAY

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some updates with cured finished product

Some updates with cured finished product

• Hallo folks,
    sorry for this delay in updates.:comfort:
    I'll try to compensate.
    I'm lighting up a big spliff and try to describe latest findings.
    I'm very happy with the last harvest.
    This year in this season we had to fight against a heat attack that probably ruined a bit quantity, needed an intense use of ac to keep temps down and air was very dry. Quality didn't suffer and a pure, dialled organic method on soilbeds produced very good stuff.

I was very impressed for taste, potency and smokability of the whole harvest. And above all from new varieties.
    I came across new specimens for my grail project and I'm really satisfied.

First let's describe the ones I had more expectations of NYCD S1.
    Best looking nycd I had ( in comparison to Soma's book and stuff I had in Amsterdam): fast flowering lady, ready at 9-10weeks, big indica leaves, big fat calyxes wich tend to foxtail. At last no haze in it! But they showed a lack of those hawaian carachteristics I've seen in all my nycd before. (stretch, long colas, long flowering, spicy exotic taste and smell). A note was aa beautiful thick hollow stem.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smell is really rich and a bit earthy, not exactly that lovely grapefruit I adore, but really close. Same backtaste that lingers long. Not so fruity though. My note on those is that they didn't like strong supersoil like others and stood a bit on the green side, without fading too much.
    I need a new run, as we're not there yet in taste department. They're a S1 anyway, I don't believe so much in autopollination. Maybe that particular taste I'm looking for is the effect of different recessive genes combined that did't come out this time. Need some experiment with winter round to get the most of it. Potency is really good. Strong long lasting high. Like in amsterdam. I appreciated. A lot anyway.

But that orange dankness was found in another strain.
    Agent orange delighted me!

picture.php

I'm talking of that special fruity umistakenable orange smell that reeks from fresh buds, that explodes in the air and room when chopped and make your mouth watering when toked unlit.
    When you light it you think 'aaahhh.... this is orange!!" and you're hit by a strong effect in your head.

picture.php

From the inhale an astringent but sweet fruity taste of orange peels invades your mouth, it's very wide, strong sensation, it fills your mouth completely till the very back of cheeks and tongue.
    On the exhale you feel a smooth agrumes/sweet orange aftertaste, sometimes a bit dry on the palate, very long lasting. Simply beautiful.
    Those feel I thought I could find in NyCD, but Agent orange impressed me a lot more.
    High is fast and intense. Very happy though, no paranoia here. Really uplifting and happy mood, but strong and noticeable at every toke. Long lasting.
    Good body effect too, really balanced. And surely NOT weak! Good for nausea I experimented.
    Very strong plant,a lot of hybrid vigour, stretched a bit. Very frosty and resinous from the beginning. Not so big sized colas, but big calyxes and hard nuggets. Pronounced orange lollipop smell from very early. I had two phenos, one more orange velvet (AO#3) and one more jack the ripper leaning. Smell differs a bit from being lemonish-agrumated peel to orange-lollipop sweet tangy smell. They differ a bit in flower construcrion being the former with larger colas of dense buds more dome like and the latter more vortex like with giant calyxes a bit foxtailed. A keeper.
    Form males I found one with a super smell that is going to be my keeper male to produce a round of orange dankness to be added to some selected females.
    The only bad thing I found in this strain is.... her name!
    When I googled agent orange I found what a bad thing it was...
    A powerful chemical defoliating agent used in vietnam and other wars and thinking to all people that died directly and undirectly from it makes me really sad. :_(

Anyway I was very pleased also by grapefruit seeds.
    This round I had a side by side comparison with 3 different strains wich originated someway from grapefruit clone. I chose Grapefruit from female seeds, grapefruit diesel and dynamite from Next generation seeds. I was already prepared not to be best stuff around, (only not so long ago I went deeper into sweet tooth story and I still have no access to swt3 or new swt4 line, even if I feel this will be the next ingredient to add to my grapefruit search...)
    BUT they were a surprise!
    Most interesting was grapefruitxdiesel.

picture.php

picture.php

Next gen tells that the pollinated a grapefruit clone with the fastest of nycd males from soma. This was interesting for me.
    Plants were all uniform and sturdy with some tone of grapefruit from the early flowering. They showed to be a good mix between an indica form of nycd and grapefruit. Taste was very fine, and, even if I couldn't get that NYCD backtaste I was looking for, I sampled a good 'new' form of grapefruitness. Sweet, balanced, extremely smooth and satisfying to the palate.

High comes strong (more like nycds1) and fast. Indica type but trippy somehow. Very nice. Fast flowering plants, good candidates for outdoor. Later on I saw an autoflowering tenedency in swapping from ind to out. (from grapefruit,swt origin?)

Dynamite also surprised me. Smaller and less vigorous plant than grapefruit female and grapefruit x diesel. She shows a similar bud structure anyway. Short, fast flowering triangular shape of dense buds.

picture.php

As plant it didn't attracted y attention too much. She was a slow grower, much more like querkle or reclining buddah. So she went a bit on sides of growroom. Slowly she puts out at the end of flowering some floral fruity tones that are superb though. Lower yields with this one. Once smoked she's really rich and fruity. Something that resemble some agrumes, but more dipped in a buquet of fresh flowers like lily or violets. Really nice, sided by a strong narcotic high, bodied and confusing head. Potent.

Grapefruit was more sativa then I expected, tall, stretchy and not developing a good smell till the very end. They surprised me when smoked. 4 phenos, 4 different plants. One was very fast: more like c99, going fast, golf ball sized colas of small flowers and an intense grapefruit, pure grapefruit smell and taste.

picture.php

picture.php
    It is something different from nycd, from dynamite, from grapefruitxdiesel and from agent orange.
    I'll try to explain: try to imagine a circle in your mouth with your tongue in the center. (as highest is the palate and where nose meets the mouth at the back, on sides there are cheeks and back part of the mouth behind teeth and at the lowest part there are the downside of tongue, backside of lower teeth. Special mention for lips).
    Different grapefruit varieties hit this circle with their sweet or bitter tones of agrumes different parts of this circle.
    NYCD goes all way down and on the sides of the circle. This sensation lasts really long.
    Agent O. hits on the upper part and on sides of the circle but also on lips. Lasts long, very long.
    Grapefruit diesel hits on the sides and in the center, grapefruit in the highest, dynamite in the sides and low.
    It's a whole array of grapefruitness.
    I am very happy!
    woohoo.gif

Besides those made for grapefruitness, I had few vortex, querkle, sour diesel, SSSDH and some spice.

Vortex was really good indeed. Less superb than AO or grapefruit varieties, but really interesting. Fast plant 7-8wk to go. Intense lemon-metal-funky smell. Resemble a bit some lemony sensi star or mk ultra. Big big calyxes. Not so many flowers though, but resin all over!

picture.php

picture.php

Not big yielder but surely fast. It transitions well to taste, a smooth clean funky taste, but I thought it could be more potent.
    Really nice sativa high, some of those that you don't understand if you're high or not. sometimes becomes a bit more bodied, but very warm and clean. I thought it could be some one hit wonder and would split your brain in two, so I ended a bit disappointed...
    Only one pheno proved to make me sweat at the very first tokes. Got me really high! probably I have to experiment with this one...

Spice got me crazy. They took 12 weeks of flowering and I didn't have so many expectations. Long colas of small calyxes like some SSH or afghan haze. Long white pistils and not a particular intense smell. It was spicy, exotic, the tone I already found in several NYCD mums and dads. Sativa expression was more pronounced.

picture.php
    picture.php

Last 2 weeks the showed a fast maturing carateristic that matured the colas uniformly and fast, putting up a lot of resin. Smell became more flowery and somehow agrumated.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

When I first smoked this I was amazed.
    dance.gif

From the first hit I noticed a strong similarity to those first batch of Nycd that came out sativa. I know because I smoked them in diffferent forms of cultivation for 2 years. Still I have few jars of it... But this time it was in a purer sativa form, no back afgan or whatever backtaste.
    Clean, spicy, dry inhale and high came out really slow, a creeper that brought me verry high!! But with a strong motivational feeling, something that you need things done right now.
    Very rare for me! No hazy racy feelings, no paranoia, just pure energy to do things. This happened when my tolerance was high, really high. When back from a 2 weeks fast I experimented real allucinations whit first spliff. Wow hawaian!
    It is so interesting to see that NYCDS1 lacked in this hawaian department. high, on the opposite is strong, fast and somehow indica, as traits of this specific plant pheno indicate.
    Till now I got mostly hawaian phenos on nycd. An incredibly serious plant, but not grapefruity! Looking for more indica pheno I am getting closer. No haze in it, even if nycd haze#2 came out from this round perfect. Super grapefruit and potent. Serious stuff.
    For completness a couple of picts from SSSDH and sour.

picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php
    picture.php

NYCDxbubblegum and querkle to come.

I'm still sampling and packing seeds from last round, some more details in the future.
    Now I'm doing a summer round of pure pollination of the whole plants. I will mainly use Agent orange, dynamite, grapefruit diesel and sonic fly as males to produce some freebies for ICmag folks.
    I need some help with this search.
    Any ideas, comment, infos, and critic are welcomed.
    Sorry for long post, thank you for going through.
    Dr. P

Latest posts

Latest posts