What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sell Me On AF's,I Dare Ya!

REZDOG

Veteran
Hi All!
As the title suggests,I'm here to gather information as to why y'all have such a "thing" for AF plants.
Breeding,Reservoir has always selected away from AF phenotypes,as do most in the business,including my pal Tom Hill.
We consider AF's to be essentially useless,and certainly not to be bred into a line.
So,I wonder why,instead of growing AF's,you guys don't just select short flower-cycle females,like Cinderella 99 or a nice quick indica,and flower them shortly after rooting,all packed together,if you must? With a 50-55 day 12/12 cycle,C99's as "short a cycle" as a short cycle gets.
Or,hell,even grow "feminized" short-cycle seeds over AF's?
It also seems a lot of AFs are low in potency-and that's a Big No No in my book.
I have no wish to argue,and won't,I just want to know and to understand what it is that's so attractive to y'all about auto-flowering plants,is all.
I appreciate the time taken to enlighten me!

:thank you:

~RD~

. . . .

DaPurps

I can only see them coming into play outside, for myself. I have never grown an AF, but they are attractive for an early outdoor harvest.

Inside, Im with ya.

REZDOG

Veteran
I can only see them coming into play outside, for myself. I have never grown an AF, but they are attractive for an early outdoor harvest.

Inside, Im with ya.

Outdoors,an early,M/F strain like Mighty Mite (42-45 days) or a Pure, Hindu Kush @ (42-55 days) pre-sexed,would be preferable imo.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
it might be fun to get some buds out of your veg room

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Maybe if your sensitive to THC and don't like smoking potent herb. Otherwise, get that cannabis plague crap out of here. It has its place in nature but not anywhere near popular breeding.

bigtopsfinn

In the north, the sun shines all day and all night during the summer. By the time regular strains are triggered to flower naturally, frosty nights and moldy buds are right around the corner.

I know growers with no possibility to darken their grow room for 12h uses autos. And yeah, in north, pretty much only thing that flowers outside that they will also be done.

S

schwagg

picture.php

that's an empty roll of electrical tape for reference.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
IMO, the advantages of AF :

- can be grown outdoor, quickly, very stealth, and at any time without waiting the days to get shorter. Man now I can grow some haze in my place where i cannot go after end of september.
- you can put some in your veg room
- you don t care about light leaks, nor photoperiod

Rez, i m a heavy smoker as well, and I was surprised by smoking some lowryders that where pleasant to toke, not overpotent but still nice, and the taste was fruity. The diesel ryder was something as well, I smoked one outdoor pheno that kicked my ass nicely, and i was smoking some very nice indoor plants at the same time.

No i would not grow them indoor, like most growers that grow a bit, because like you said it s better to get a quick fast finishing strain.
It is not the best connoisseur herb but as per the advantages I have stated, they are lots of people who could have a use for that. And the smoke is far from shit now that people have worked a bit on AF.

Cheers, looking forward to see the Auto chemdog :)

Outdoors,an early,M/F strain like Mighty Mite (42-45 days) or a Pure, Hindu Kush @ (42-55 days) pre-sexed,would be preferable imo.

First let me say that I'm not lobbying for autos for indoor growing...but they have been a godsend for me outdoors. I grow just for myself and my dad, who suffers from chronic pain among other things. I can only grow outside, and in a non-legal area.

Autoflowering strains have allowed me to have seven months between harvests instead of twelve. I can throw 25 gallons of soil in a rubbermaid tub, plant 80 seeds, pull the males, and have 30-50 females in a tub approx 3' x 2'. They only get 18" tall or so and yield 7-15g apiece depedning on strain..but I get 200g from a small rubbermaid tub..and they are done by early.

Mighty Mite is all over the place with finishing times, but the earliest will be early to mid august and some into september or later. Most pure indicas finish early october or later.

Outdoors, in some circumstances (like mine) they are irreplaceable. I get one chance at a harvest each year that has to last me and my dad til the next one. Autos give me a chance to catch up or top off the jars before the summer. Instead of harvesting every October, I harvest every October, and Every June.

The autos usually have a more mellow effect, but some are apparently very high in cbd or something because oftentimes my dad prefers them for pain over "regular" strains.

Now as far as indoors..I can't see any purpose they could serve other than, as mentioned above, filling holes in the veg room. But really there the yield is hardly worth it, I'd imagine.

itisme

Veteran
I've been trying to figure out wtf people see in them too REZ.

I guess if your in a area where they can be sewn and reaped outside it would speed to process up and not have to wait for the seasons to change. That is about all I got.

Not of a fan of AF's

good points titoon29!

I see the REZ 2012 LINE UP NOW - ALL AF's and FEMs :D

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1) Fun - They are interesting plants to have a play with and hone your growing skills

2) Supplemental smoke between harvests (indoor) If you wanted to give a strain a decent veg from seed until they are mature enough to flower you're looking at 6 weeks + for a lot of strains, if you popped some AF's at the same time they would be not far away from harvest.

3) As mentioned people at extreme northern/southern latitudes wouldn't get even early strains to flower out and finish properly without force flowering them.

4) Multiple outdoor harvests spring - autumn. Less risk having plants found/taken/destroyed etc

5) People with a single indoor space, I have seen a few nice 12/12 from seed grows but even with a fast indica strain, they do take longer for the cycle of seed to harvest.

6) not everyone needs to be knocked out by killer shit each and everyday, people have different tolerances and wants for their smoking habit.

Don't get me wrong, no one in this forum will tell you that AF's crush elites for potency and quality at this time or maybe ever. But they are continually being improved as time goes by. If someone was dedicated enough to work an Auto strain where they were continually back crossing to an elite parent and then inbreeding for AF, there wouldn't be much % of the original AF parent left in the strain other than the AF gene.

If people don't want to smoke or grow AF's, then no one is forcing them to.

Hope that helps.

canned abyss1

Veteran
Hi All!
As the title suggests,I'm here to gather information as to why y'all have such a "thing" for AF plants.
Breeding,Reservoir has always selected away from AF phenotypes,as do most in the business,including my pal Tom Hill.
We consider AF's to be essentially useless,and certainly not to be bred into a line.
So,I wonder why,instead of growing AF's,you guys don't just select short flower-cycle females,like Cinderella 99 or a nice quick indica,and flower them shortly after rooting,all packed together,if you must? With a 50-55 day 12/12 cycle,C99's as "short a cycle" as a short cycle gets.
Or,hell,even grow "feminized" short-cycle seeds over AF's?
It also seems a lot of AFs are low in potency-and that's a Big No No in my book.
I have no wish to argue,and won't,I just want to know and to understand what it is that's so attractive to y'all about auto-flowering plants,is all.
I appreciate the time taken to enlighten me!

:thank you:

~RD~

. . . .

Contrary to what many people believe the right AF can hold its own against non AF varieties, and we are only breeding them to get better. My strain Spyder will hold its own against ECSD and Deep Chunk (I have them both) and many other strains. I have used your Wonder Haze in a cross with Spyder that i believe will have a lot of potential. I have also crossed Spyder with ECSD but both of these are still in seed form until I get more time to work on them, currently I am working on an AF Ducksfoot. AF's can be flowered in the extra space that most people have in their veg room, they also allow you to pull several outdoor harvests per season. Another benefit of AF's is some have a higher cbd ratio which is preferred by many medicinal users.

shasta

Rez, I've just completed a run of Blue Streak, finished four girls under a 150HPS in just 55 days from seed. Lights were on 24/0 which provided needed heat during DEC/JAN grow, plus perpetual lights limited, probably eliminated lights out stretch. Good yield, very vigourous, not nute sensitive at all. I'm a one hit whimp anyway, this is very good smoke by my standards. Will be giving the sour 60 a run next...Thanks for asking the right questions.

smokefrogg

Veteran
for outdoor year round guerilla patches of short little plants, that's one of my goals with using lowryder #2 genetics in my breeding program, the plant just plain not caring about photoperiod is a huge advantage for my situation

J

joejusttyped

Contrary to what many people believe the right AF can hold its own against non AF varieties, and we are only breeding them to get better. My strain Spyder will hold its own against ECSD and Deep Chunk and many other strains. I have used your Wonder Haze in a cross with Spyder that i believe will have a lot of potential. I have also crossed Spyder with ECSD but both of these are still in seed form until I get more time to work on them, currently I am working on an AF Ducksfoot. AF's can be flowered in the extra space that most people have in their veg room, they also allow you to pull several outdoor harvests per season. Another benefit of AF's is some have a higher cbd ratio which is preferred by many medicinal users.

Let's see Spyder carried by some seedbanks and/or seedbay :laughing:

G

Guest 150314

Rez you must have a different mighty mite, The original from coastal British Columbia is a almost impossible to clone inbred line (15+ years) with primarily autoflowering phenotypes.

It does very well in crosses to shorten flowering time but straight mighty mite is not great smoke.