What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My new toy. Powerhead dwc?

Zealious

Hey guys. I was at the thrift store and noticed a powerful looking pump thing for 4 bucks when I brought it home the thing turned out to be a steal. Its a 50 dollar powerhead up to 400gph.
http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=15510570&EID=15510570&SID=FROOGLE

so any thoughts on adding it to my organic dwc system?

I guess i could put it on the lowest setting and use it to just aerate the rez and keep things flowing. If im not mistaken watermovement its optimal in hydro it keeps the bad microbes out and increases good microbes... do you think it could damage my roots?

should I add a filter to it too? Maybe it will help clean my water because I use fox farm big bloom and the stuff is like brown gravy.

Zealious

Well if anyone is interested. I added a Sediment pre filter and I have added it in my dwc system.. It cleaned all the organic sediment off my roots. and my water is quite clean. The roots seem to be enjoying the system and I think it will help out beneficial microbes. so far so good. Its also taking small pieces of the roots off but I think its a good thing since on inspection these roots apear to be older roots and not new ones.. so should in theory encourage more root growth..

We will see but I like it so far. THey had 2 at the thrift store.. I will be pickiong up the other one next time im in the area =D Its like 2 stones in one it flitered and clean my rez wich is great for organic hydro it adds oxygen and creates a current in the rez wich keeps anarobic bacteria away.. Im happy with it.

are you seeing any kind of temp swings? I'd like to see how your setup and see how you have it mounted... I looked at one of these but I was worried about temps going up in the rez... anyway, congrats on the cheap score :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts