What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tried organic hydro before and all i got was a bunch of foam bubbles and root rot

Heh, that wasn't my super-nug. That gal belongs to Mr. Wags who showcased his bio-bucket grow in a now-stickied-thread at the top of these forums

thanks, i never worry about my ppm thus far tho, and i havent had any trouble but ive never grew with coir either tho so thanks for the heads up

i was thinking about starting to us ro/di water also thatll help alot with ppm im sure

thanks!!!

If you never worry about ppm, and don't want to start in the future, you might seriously consider the OBBT method.

Straight coco grows are possible to run without hooking them to a recirc system, but you gotta water them every day. Pure coco seems to do best in a drip configuration. Coco is great, but not crazy-tolerant. Its much better than medium-free grows like DWC when it comes to organic stabiliby, but its still miles behind the OBBTs this respect.

OBBTs are a super-simple coco-based organic hydro system:

It uses the magic of soil combined with shitloads of oxygen to make a home for a super-powerful batch of beneficial microbes. Once 'incubated' these tubs will eat just about anything. Feed them any ole un-digested organics you want and they'll just eat em up! New organic compounds added to the buckets are repidly digested and made suitible for consumption by the plants. They will even tolerate quite a bit of nutrients from non-organic sources. Old DM used to add quite a bit of Super Bloom salt fertilizer during later flower and did just fine.

They may be your best bet if you have a large pre-existing collection of mixed nutrients that you want to use. OBBTs are not picky at all, you can feed them anything. Don't worry about the ppms, just make sure the ratio of nutrients is correct. 3/1/1 for veg, 1/2/1 early flower and 1/3/2 for later flower.

Other than that its a breeze. The intigrated res means they can go many days between waterings. You can build your tubs to be higher or lower maintinence. RipVanWeed made a set of 6 OBBTs out of 5 gallon buckets. The plants in them are large and the bath he made is relatively shallow, so he has to water a couple times a week. My rig is much more bath-heavy with smaller plants. As a result I've only added liquid to my plants three times in 44 days!They are very low-maintinence. They manage their own pH, chelate minerals, improve water retention, fight off unwanted pathogens, they do it all for you! So many of the normal irritiating little tasks that normally come with hydro are just gone!

Just because you don't have to deal with the hydro headaces doesn't mean you don't get hydro results:

picture.php

picture.php

These are some of the aformentioned user RipVanWeed's plants. They're growing out of simple 5 gallon OBBTs and Rip constantly attests to how easy-to-run they've been.

Think about it anyway. It sounds like you already have a lot of the stuff you need: coco coir, organic soil and a large back-catologue of mixed nutrients. This is the best method I know of for using all that stuff to get some great bud.

OBBTs are definitely my suggestion to you, they sound perfect for your needs and matirials. If you have any questions or are just curious about the build-up then just drop in on my OBBT grow show, or try rrog's OBBT bucket build thread. Hope we see you in our neck of the woods! :joint:

Kanye WeED

Heh, that wasn't my super-nug. That gal belongs to Mr. Wags who showcased his bio-bucket grow in a now-stickied-thread at the top of these forums

If you never worry about ppm, and don't want to start in the future, you might seriously consider the OBBT method.

Straight coco grows are possible to run without hooking them to a recirc system, but you gotta water them every day. Pure coco seems to do best in a drip configuration. Coco is great, but not crazy-tolerant. Its much better than medium-free grows like DWC when it comes to organic stabiliby, but its still miles behind the OBBTs this respect.

OBBTs are a super-simple coco-based organic hydro system:

It uses the magic of soil combined with shitloads of oxygen to make a home for a super-powerful batch of beneficial microbes. Once 'incubated' these tubs will eat just about anything. Feed them any ole un-digested organics you want and they'll just eat em up! New organic compounds added to the buckets are repidly digested and made suitible for consumption by the plants. They will even tolerate quite a bit of nutrients from non-organic sources. Old DM used to add quite a bit of Super Bloom salt fertilizer during later flower and did just fine.

They may be your best bet if you have a large pre-existing collection of mixed nutrients that you want to use. OBBTs are not picky at all, you can feed them anything. Don't worry about the ppms, just make sure the ratio of nutrients is correct. 3/1/1 for veg, 1/2/1 early flower and 1/3/2 for later flower.

Other than that its a breeze. The intigrated res means they can go many days between waterings. You can build your tubs to be higher or lower maintinence. RipVanWeed made a set of 6 OBBTs out of 5 gallon buckets. The plants in them are large and the bath he made is relatively shallow, so he has to water a couple times a week. My rig is much more bath-heavy with smaller plants. As a result I've only added liquid to my plants three times in 44 days!They are very low-maintinence. They manage their own pH, chelate minerals, improve water retention, fight off unwanted pathogens, they do it all for you! So many of the normal irritiating little tasks that normally come with hydro are just gone!

Just because you don't have to deal with the hydro headaces doesn't mean you don't get hydro results:

picture.php

picture.php

These are some of the aformentioned user RipVanWeed's plants. They're growing out of simple 5 gallon OBBTs and Rip constantly attests to how easy-to-run they've been.

Think about it anyway. It sounds like you already have a lot of the stuff you need: coco coir, organic soil and a large back-catologue of mixed nutrients. This is the best method I know of for using all that stuff to get some great bud.

OBBTs are definitely my suggestion to you, they sound perfect for your needs and matirials. If you have any questions or are just curious about the build-up then just drop in on my OBBT grow show, or try rrog's OBBT bucket build thread. Hope we see you in our neck of the woods! :joint:

yea i def have alot of questions, and ill be looking in on u alot i hope u dont and wont mind, i have ALOT of questions.

i dont understand how i would go about setting that whole rubbermaid tub up. Is that full of coco coir mixed with soil, def dont understand that, and how many plants will that hold at once, and im guessing that u have to srtart them all at the same time, cause u cant use the same coco coir twice right

yes i wanna try ur method, and im gonna add u.

thank u sooo much +rep!!

yea i def have alot of questions, and ill be looking in on u alot i hope u dont and wont mind, i have ALOT of questions.

i dont understand how i would go about setting that whole rubbermaid tub up. Is that full of coco coir mixed with soil, def dont understand that, and how many plants will that hold at once, and im guessing that u have to srtart them all at the same time, cause u cant use the same coco coir twice right

yes i wanna try ur method, and im gonna add u.

thank u sooo much +rep!!

Its generally a one-plant-per-tub affair. User Silver_Surfer_OG tried to grow 2 plants out of a very large OBBT and for the most part it was a failure. Root development is just way too aggressive in the OBBTs.

Try this thread:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135017

For a nice guide on deatails for building one up. The pictures I posted for you definitely wheren't enough of an explanation, I didn't even mention the volcanic rock or hydroton layer that supports the bath. You definitely need to hit up the couple of OBBT threads here in the organic hydro forums to get a good firm understanding of how to do the build-up.

I will warn you now, building these fuckers can be tricky. Getting all the right supplies in place can be a pain because there is a large variety of stuff that goes into them. OBBTs are opposite of most hydro rigs: all the work is in the preperation. Most hydro is really easy to build, DWC buckets are a breeze, but running them is fairly difficult. OBBTs are a bastard to put together but once constructed there is very little for the gardener to do!

Latest posts

Latest posts