What's new

nutrients for biobuckets/bioponics

Hello ICers,

I'm just wondering what nutrient requirements are for biobuckets/bioponics. As biobuckets/bioponics/aquaponics main mechanism of feeding is bacteria waste or the converted byproducts thats bacteria leaves after feeding this leaves me with a couple questions.

Are organic nutrients proven better than chemical nutrients?
I was reading Dalton's journal (not jr, rest in peace) and I know he used organic nutrients where as his mentor BigToke of ic(here) used chemical nutrients at least at that time and dalton would encourage the use of organic nutrients.

What type of nutrients are best?
Specifically I have interest in feeding worm casting tea/aquarium waste exclusively if such a plan would work, I guess I'd be lacking p/k or their bacterial by product constituents, of course this is a guess as I'm not versed in the art of bioponics.

I have interest in using aquaponics eventually but during my vacation a lot of my breeding pairs of cichlids were killed because my half retarded brother didn't restart my pumps during a black out. So this plan is on hold.

Ideally what PPM is optimal for peak flowering? Of course I know this would vary to an extent. From what I've read it's somewhere between 600-1000 ppm with organics according to Dalton Sr. 600ppm seemed to be the best bang for your buck I suppose where 1000 was possibly wasteful?

Reservoir maintenance?
With this system I hope to leave my reservoir unchanged and just top it off so if there's any tips or tricks for this feel free to share!

A post from ct-guy claims that 2% worm casting aero-slurry = good, 5% and over = bad.

This was just generally speaking, perhaps it's different in a bioponics system? IDK.