What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OBBT dumdass questions

h.h.

Veteran
New here, been lurking for awhile. I've been finding some good stuff here and haven't wanted to interrupt. I've seen so many threads ruined that way.
I envision a OBBT type system adapted to outdoor, in ground growing. I wonder if there has been any thought put to this. I won't go into my plans on how to implement such a feat. I'm looking for fresh ideas to mine, not adaptations. There seems to be some true visionaries here with far better understanding than my own.
I truly enjoy pot grown outdoors. As pointed out in the other post, there's a certain sterility to hydroponically grown weed. Personally for all the advances, I feel there's something missing. Trace elements of unknown cannabinoids perhaps?

Welcome h.h. :wave::smoker::wave:

I've always wanted to run an OBBT outdoors, I think it could produce truly mind-bending results. In theory, it would be pretty easy to straight-up bury one. The overflow drain would just dump excess water into the ground, although you would be missing out on a controllable lower drain. Prolly wouldn't matter though, I've never heard of someone running a starve/flush regime outdoors!

Your mention of traces contributing to as-of-yet-unkown cannaboids is one of the great things about the OBBTs. Hydro requires the grower to choose each mineral and nutrient that goes in. If he misses something, well thats that. Because OBBTs leverage compost they are jam-packed with a myriad of naturally-occuring trace substances. Odd shit that the plant might only use 0.0000001% of, that modern science does not yet know about is most definitely covered by the OBBT as we describe it.

The miniature ecosystem that lives in each and every properly-implamented OBBT is an engine, a factory, a biological machine that none of us truly understands. It is controlled enough to where scientific knowlege can help make it better, but it is natural enough to where Mother Nature will pick up the loose ends that we inevitably miss.

h.h.
I would seriously fuckin cream myself if you rigged up an OBBT in the great outdoors. Stick around buddy, I wanna see this shit happen!! :joint::joint::joint:

h.h.

Veteran
First post and :woohoo:I got the lady's attention...
I appreciate the reply. I appreciate the straight forwardness of your main thread and didn't want to change it's course.
I'm a little slow in grasping everything. That's just me. I'm a genius with a very slow mind.
I think once rrog has your work broken down to the basics most of my work will be done. It will just be a matter of choosing which steps apply or can be adapted.
In simple terms I would be supplying bottom air and water, I'm thinking through 2 4" water filled drainage pipes with some internal airstones 18" down with soaker tube connecting the two with a cultured medium filling the planting. I'm sure that will be changed. Due to the amount of medium needed and my ghetto ways the mix will certainly be a wild variation of whats been described. I may be so far off of what you envision I may well be shunned from ever entering the realm of a true OBBT grower...for that I apologize up front.
If you have better thoughts have at it. I like being called names so be rough.
Anywhere near BR?

h.h.

Veteran
Okay. I got a round 3 gallon plastic pot stuffed into a square (kitty litter) bucket. In one corner of the bucket I placed an aquarium water pump creating a fall into the pot. Into the first pot I placed a second pot with a mixture of palm thatch, chips of joshua tree bark that had been soaked, flushed then brewed with ewc for a day. The second pot is wedged up about 4"s higher leaving a slight gap for the waterfall and so only the bottom is submerged Have a haze cutting in it now with a clear glass plate loosely covering the whole mess. She looks happy. Am I starting to get it?:wallbash:
As it was it cost me only $6 for the castings and a lifetime of misery putting up with the cats in order to get the litter bucket. Everything else was trash and yard waste. I could have used air just as well, but I had the pump. I figure on beefing up the soil mix with the basics when I get a chance. I'm not too worried about the cutting. It is only a sacrificial lamb..
Originally I placed a cupful of castings in the water. No problem going through the pump. After 2 days it was obvious that the acid level had raised. It had a slight smell. I can see now why my perpetual tea thought wouldn't work. The cutting didn't seem to mind, but I threw it on my tomatoes and put in fresh water with just a pinch of castings.

Hmmmm, waterfall-based OBBT. Interesting

You've taken the technique in a different direction and are now beyond the bounds of my experience. In principal this should work well for you, but I'm not really sure. Keep us updated on how it goes, I'm interested to see what happens with this.

h.h.

Veteran
It was a real simple throw together. Just a low budget thing. Used stuff I already had. Trying to get the just of what you guys are doing. I'm now using the pump to make teas though I fear the impeller may not be a good thing. I'll get more serious after the outdoor season is over.