What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm Switching, Need Nute Recommendations

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Organic state laws are all superceeded by federal organic labeling laws. Effectively ending state standards and creating one standard (which is actually lower then Oregon or California's own).

Most the debate has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with big agri-business.
Check your facts. You might want to review 'organic standards' at F.D.A. vs. U.S.D.A. - both agencies have certain and specific levels of control on the term 'organic' as it relates to finished products.

Neither agencies have any standards/regulations with regard to 'organic' or 'approved for organic growing' soil amendments, fertilizers, et al. at the federal level. They do have specific standards as it relates to produce and packaged products after harvest and shipping.

Yeah - I'm all into the 'anti agri-business' paradigm but certain facts are clear and precise. States set the standards for production - the feds set the standards as far as the finished product - fresh, frozen and/or packaged.

While bellowing about 'agri-business' vs whatever standard you're referring to is interesting, it's not as clear-cut as you've attempted to frame the discussion.

To say the least.

Thanks for your input.

CC

Thanks for setting it straight, appreciate that. I used to work in natural foods for years, so I know the retailer side very well. I was working there when the USDA took over organic from the states. But the farms still have to be certd, so they can only use certain things in order to obtain those certs. They look at their books and what they purchase, and their farming methods. We, obviously, are not certified. It makes sense then they don't even try to control the ingredients, since the farms and products are being monitored.

While I have my beliefs I am not going into the crazy food debate- had enough working in the industry for 10 years. I do believe we need strong, trustworthy organic labeling on products, but I got no ax to grind here anyways.

I will say that OMRI certs seem to come and go on products, and I am thinking you guys are right that there is way more here then meets the eye. Organic henchmen. I never saw that happening in natural foods, you either had it (or where transitioning to it) or you didn't.

Latest posts

Latest posts