What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Am I doing this right? E&F Rockwool Cubes and PBP

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Anybody want an update?

Yesterday was 2 weeks from last res change.
Plants look very good.
VERY good.

My thinking is - I'd like to see it they can go 3 weeks (total) and do a change out, next week. - if that one goes three weeks - that's 10 weeks and time to flush in my book. Pistols are barely starting to change so I haven't begun to look at trics. There will be a couple that will get flushed a little soon - but if it ain't done in 12 or 13 weeks - even at this altitude - - The pH has been drifting up - I've been adding a couple ml pH down to each tank and it's easing back down.
I checked TDS today, 1.3-1.4 down from 1.6 and 1.7. pH is 6.4

Gennerally, ssdd

Shine!

E

EvilTwin

Hi Rocky,
I'm still watching. Plants look lovely. I'm not so keen on changing the res so often. In-fact I've done many runs with only one res change which was at flush time. I think that whole res change thing was a conspiracy by the people who profit from selling nutrients! lol

But I can't argue with your success. More pix? sure, bring it on.
ET

ronby

rockymountainhi-

going back to your comment about color photos on the first page, if you are using a digital camera, you can do a manual white balance and that should fix the color balance on your photos

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
ET!
Hoz it?

With zero previous grows in R/W - I really don't know what to expect - my buddy says he starts to show a decrease in the plants after about 2 weeks - he also does not top the rez at all. in that 2 weeks. I'm getting some normal appearing gradual yellowing moving up a couple more plants - buddage looks phat and is starting to develop charactor - I trimmed each plant a little - I'll be testing on that for a while lol

I know I'm making this a little harder than it needs to be - trying to double check and advance slowly --- the flower room has been down for several months - and that SUCKED!

With the remodel and upgrade, summer heat wave was never an issue. I moved the swamp cooler over for the house and the garden got it's own A/C'd room. If ya can't beat em, blow cold air on em! lol.

I have a pack of ChemDXBubba's along with Doc's Myst3ry, mazar and some odd clones I have been working, hanging out in the veg area.

ronby - How U doin?

I didn't know software could remove the stripes.
This camera has a setting for HPS lighting too - we got them looking better -

Might be time to see about how to access larger images - just got my macro lenses!!!

The dirt side of the garden - - just dosen't pop and when compared to the hdro results - it's depressing I tell ya! lol

E

EvilTwin

Hi Rocky,
You're doing it right for you. Experimentation can always wait till later. Most people change their res regularly. You have to add back and watch everything carefully when you don't and success is more strain dependent. I'm a White Widow fan and love growing (and smoking) it.

I had some time off too and it takes sooo long starting from seeds compared to having clone mothers. But I'm getting there. Hey, enjoy those buds you clipped.
Peace,
ET

icu812

hey rocky, they're lookin nice in the last pics, cant wait to see some more! im still veggin, building nice solid rootmass in the cubes, most have pushed about an inch root or two down at the very bottom now, and all around the sides I have huge fishbones... they're going into big netpots with hydroton, and will keep the hydroton bed around the bottom of the tray to keep the algae away ;) so far so good, i have all the cubes covered, and they're still nice and algae free, which was my real concern with this first rw cube grow. I feel 100% safe in hydroton, so after they get resettled, i'll veg them for another week or so while putting all these nice vigorous shoots in their place in the screen ;)

Attachments

• 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 247.jpg
    247.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 10

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
ET, icu Greetings!!

Gotta coupla phresh pix.

Last Friday was 2 weeks since nute change - I think next change towards the end of this week - start of next; - let tham go 3+ weeks and flush them - even the bangis

The bottom fat one is B-52, have a coupe others that don't smell familiar, and the noodle top looks a lot like Bangi Satevia from Loader on OG them bitches got whacked at like 15 or 16 weeks and they wanted to go LONGER - A LOT LONGER!!!! LOL - - gawd isn't it been a long strange ride?

Growing pot is like a bx of chocolates,,,,, ya don't know till later

all in all - this room is working better than I had planned and I'm REALLY happy with the Botanicare nute line. I'll continue doing F&D Hugo cubes for a while - they work will in this arrangement.

E

EvilTwin

Hi Rocky,
Frosty buds you got there. The B-52 is really nice and I can only imagine once you finish. Got a buddy who grows that but I've never given it a try. Sounds like you're having fun...that's what it's all about.
ET

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Checking in,,

Did a res change last night - - getting a couple leafs that kinda look - - not bad, but not quite right.

pH has been generally drifting up in the tanks - EC was going down - last change was 3-1/2 weeks ago.

I want to be flushing in 2 to 3 weeks - hopefully 2.

I should have put the screen in. Moving them is --- tricky.
What a great problem to have on my first hydro grow.

I found a ******* hermi ************ ********** ****** ****************** - lil bitch had a male flower on the very top flower on the tallest cola - tallest plant in the room - it's HUGE for a 6" block -- anyway I see a bulbous thing - go to pinch it it pops like a air zit and a tiny puff of pollen escapes -- I chopped the bitch - if I don't like the bud - I'll bubble bag her - that will teach the hermis in the room ---

The Apophis and the Yummy bud both look to be special -- got a couple Diesels. some sweet, some fruity, some -- kinda weird.
Found a couple keepers in the test run - provided they don't hermi

I'll try to grab a pix in a day or so.

E

EvilTwin

Rocky,
Tell me that you didn't pop pollen in your flower room...
Watch your calyxes and see if they start swelling. If you indeed pollinated your crop, you probably will want to harvest early before seeds form.

Plants go hermi for a reason and the #1 biggest reason is light leaks into the flower room. Check that out. Aluminum foil tape works great for sealing leaks. Duct tape doesn't...the adhesive goes bad and it peals off.

Close the door to your flower room with you inside. Let your eyes adjust to the dark and then look for light leaks.
Good luck,
ET

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Hiya Evil,,,,No light leaks - I even disconnected the LED lights in the power strips while building the room. It's pitch black at high noon in there.

The sample buds I cliped had mature seeds so I'm sure there's more beans in there than a mexican burrito fiesta - it's to be expected when the seeds came from mostly hermi polinated seed.

This is my shake out run - looks like it's shakin seeds, huh?
lol

But for a plant to put one at the very top -- and it didn't quite look like a pre-popped nanner maker - yea, - it got another shot off, but the price was - (high?) lol I'd almost like to find a couple more hermis to chop, you will see why with the next pix --- hehehe!

I have a batch of Kripp's ChenDXBubbaKush, and some Treisel, Apophis, and some Yummy Bud from Buck and AnnaC all vegging some strains with males; - and I recovered my prized LSD from BOG -- I may have to pick thru a few seeds from this harvest - but it will hold me till I get some good mothers selected. My paitents will bitch, and most will be keeping the seeds they find, I'm sure.

On an side note - of the 23 plants flowered - 4 for sure and maybe 5 have clones that were kept - the rest have been culled - it was a grusume detail but I'm back within my numbers - I'll be checking those keepers for hermi flowers. 2 prime Diesel's a Yummy Bud and a sick smelling Apophis - actually the only one that dosen't smell sick is the YB - she's hard to describe,,,,,,,, ------- ,,,,,,,,, cantalope?????? with a hint of lemon fuel dank,,, -- kinda. I hear she can be a superior pain med.

I just grow em.

On the bright side - I gave some hermi polinated Strawberry Diesel seed to a friend - the one that is mentoring me with the rock-wool - his SD - NEVER HERMIS - which pokes a tiny hole in my hermi plants make hermi seeds theroy. I know hermi came in degrees and shades, but I would have bet big money those seeds would hermi. I got a cutting from him - I'm going to get one started in soil and send it thru with some in rockwool - if it hermis in soil and not in rockwool, I'd tend to think my soil grows are maybe a lil more stressed. If yeild and vigor are any indication - the plants prefer rockwool too.

Last Sunday was 6 weeks in flower, prolly go two to 3 more weeks on the res change - and another 3 week flush. 13 weeks - about 90 days.

All I gotta figgure is, if one or two seem to want to go early.

Or if I get really backed up in the veg area - I still don't have a timing schedual - and with so many strains - --- it's like trying to keep that many women happy. I have troubles with one of those lol

I'm going to get a couple photos on the system too -

E

EvilTwin

Hi Rocky,
Well it sounds like you're on top of the situation. I wanted to make a few things clear though about seed origins. My apologies if you already understand this.

There is a vast difference between feminized seeds and seeds made by a spontaneous hermie.

Feminized seeds should pose no higher risk of going hermie then regular seeds. They are made using forced hermie techniques. Intentional light disruption or chemical triggers. Then that pollen is used on different females.

Seeds made by pollen from a hermie-prone plant will also be hermie prone. The seeds in your crop, for example, should never be grown out since they will most likly herm.

So get some good genetics and hope for the best...
ET

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Day 50

I got a friend telling me most the room is ready to flush.

Upon checking the trics - there are a few amber trics on about 1/2 the room --- prolly less than 2%

I don't grow by a calander -- usually.

Either these girls are really fast or this is really going to get interesting in a month.

icu812

been busy; lookin good rocky; sorry to hear about the herm, i flipped into flower about 8 days ago, startin to show change now!

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Hiya icu -

I suspected more hermi issues because I thought all the seeds were hermi spawn - hell - I'm lucky. I found 5 good plants worth repeating - and so far I haven't seen any male flowers on my choices - I'll be checking closely at the chop. The dispensary has a standing offer on anything from my garden - seeded or not

For a test and prove out run, I'd happy; -- it's close nuff to break out the store bought beans, The room runs nice in the middle of summer and the nute program keeps most everybody happy and healthy.

Hiya Sleepy!
thanks for the positive words!
This dro- stuff isn't as scary as I thought; and, I gotta admit - this has dirt beat.

I even used some blocks I cut the males out of and the plants are doing great on recycled blocks.

I put 7 plants on early flush - one full tray of 4 and 3 others that seem to have a slightly higher percentage of amber trics. Normally in my soil grows I don't see amber till week 9 or 10, and usually chop in the 11 weeks to 90 days range.

The rockwool has never been flushed - the plants will proly have enough for coast a week or two.

I'm just along for the ride,

Made bubble hash out of the hermi today. Pretty cool when you can take early harvest plants - not worth smoking - and make even the biggest pot-snob a believer. Got maybe 2 grs. off 2 oz Good hash is nice to have around.

I have a latest update improvement to the E&F unit, 3 or 4 6-in hugo blocks in full flower poses a problem at res change time -especially the last one or two changes. I found some knock-out plugs that will allow changing the pump outlet to a male hose end connector. - This is going to be an evolving project. It's nice when it's not an issue or an emergency. Worst problem I seem to have is I've snapped a few buds while trying to move around in there

stop back any time!

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
7 week update

I chopped 5 more plants - that all looked to be relate to the hermi, and in the 12 to 16 week flowering catagory -- better uses for the space.

As for the rest of the garden - after examination - I found almost all plants to have a lot of cloudy trics - most have a few amber trics. I went ahead and changed the resavoirs out and re-filled with pH tap.

If I am right - - they can go nearly 3 weeks on the nutes in the blocks.

Should be chopped about the end of the month.

geeeeeez.

E

EvilTwin

Hi Rocky,
Mostly cloudy trichomes with some amber sounds like a good place to harvest to me. Have you started flushing? I would.
ET

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Hello all!

Brief update.

Tomorrow is the 9 th week of 12/12 and yesterday was 1 week of flush - I was checking trics again last night - still very few ambers. But DAAAAAMMMMMMMM

Most the plants are yellowing slowly - from the bottom up. Progress looks to be on track and I concider the room, the RW/E&F to be a vast improvement over my previous experience in soil.

The PBP regiment seems to work very well for a wide range of plant strains, my E&F tanks work like a champ and the 6-inch rockwool cubes work great, are easy to tend and give great yeilds. My mortality rae has dropped to sngle diget percentages - and at least for now - I haven't found a down side.