What's new

Lights off for better pot...

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Ok so plants make food during the day, and break food down at night. Therefore they dont pull any food from the roots or media at night time. So, if all food is flushed from the medium, how long of a dark period can a plant go thru, and still continue to to break down food at a substantial rate? I ask this, b/c i have been doin some reading on leaving the lights of for a long period of time at the end of flower. Most ppl do this b/c they say it makes more resin, but im wondering if it helps with a cleaner taste, due to the fact that the plant has been breaking everything down for 3 or so days of complete darkness...
It would need to be harvested in the dark of course.

What do you think..?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Nah, done both dark periods and no dark periods before harvest, and there was no appreciable difference.

I had a situation, where My power went out for 14 days...due to weather!! Plants were fine...I would guess that there is no major difference if you left the lights off for that long...

Most grow books I have read suggest as a possible TRY, to leave the lights off for 24 hours before you harvest...siting increased resin production.. not sure if that is actually true due to the books only offering that up as a suggestion...

Try it out...but to really know how well it works...You would have to grow the same strain, same environment twice....one run would have to be with normal harvest, and the other- do the ten day darkness challenge, and see how they turn out...

In my opinion, once you know your plants are ready to be cut down for harvesting...your ready to get cutting, not waiting another span of time...just my two cents playa...

STAY UP

NiteTiger

Veteran
smokey cigars said:
Try it out...but to really know how well it works...You would have to grow the same strain, same environment twice....one run would have to be with normal harvest, and the other- do the ten day darkness challenge, and see how they turn out...

That's what I'm saying I did, and it didn't have any appreciable effect.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
If you grow the herb right, to maturity, there is no need for games at harvest. Stop looking for shortcuts, and do the job right.
H

NiteTiger

Veteran
Haps said:
If you grow the herb right, to maturity, there is no need for games at harvest. Stop looking for shortcuts, and do the job right.
H

/thread

:D

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
not looking for shortcuts bra, just looking on ways to improve product to its fullest potential.

Y

yamaha_1fan

There was an article in HT that says to harvest before lights come on. Direct light will draw up stored starches and sugars. Results are bad taste and bad burn as well as the THC not converting properly and getting you high.

Thats the yamaha version of the sidebar in the article. I have no clue how accurate that is. I harvest during lights on, only way I can do it

Heres a link but I cant get the whole article for the sidebar

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I hear ya, and agree on that. And there is always room to learn. I tried lots of stuff, once in a while it pays off. From all my grows it comes down to tuning. Long veg. 10 weeks, two grows on a bulb then switch, is what it comes down to. As long as ya have fun and learn, it's all good.
H

I think what HT mag was saying...Harvest rite when your lites turn back on after the dark period of 12/12... That way they havent had light for 8 to 12 hours and then decide to chop em down....harvest once the lite cycle turns

YAMAHA 1 FAN... definitly dont harvest in the DARK!! That could be bad

NiteTiger

Veteran
Now, I do chop them in their dark period usually, but it's not because I'm expecting more potent smoke.

Marick23

I found this

I found this

I found this while researching for my first grow. Has anyone tried this method?

Your ladies do not measure daylength only darkness.

When your about 2 weeks from harvest increase daylength to 24hrs on/12hrs off .

1.gives you about 15% more yield
2.use up any remaining nutrients in its system (organic growers)
3.improves taste dramatically for non-organic plants

Last edited:

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lights out is for the sea turtles. They get confused and head the wrong way.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok so plants make food during the day, and break food down at night
Cannabis is in the class of plants that do not require dark. There are no plant processes that 'only' happen at night, except during flower(unless it's an auto-flower).

They make and use their food all day and use stored food during the 'night' at a slower pace.