Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ?

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Herbies Seeds
Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 AM #11
rives
Inveterate Tinkerer

rives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant futurerives has a brilliant future
Perhaps no one does it because they've never heard of it. I started growing a hell of a long time ago, and was curious about your thread title because I didn't know what you were referring to. I think that I caught the gist of it - use seedlings while they are still putting out symmetrical branching and prune for maximum bud size.

If you have a lot of time to dedicate to your grow and enjoy puttering with the plants, it may work fine. My goal for my personal grow is to have a respectable yield with a minimum effort. To achieve that, I use airpots, coco, V+B, Blumats, a modified scrog, and clones. This setup allows me to be out of town for about 10 days a month, motors along with very little work on my part and yields about 3/4 of a pound every 3 months under a 315w CMH.

Sorry if that didn't address your question, but it might present some alternatives to ponder.
rives is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM #12
Cream47
Underground Grower

Cream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to beholdCream47 is a splendid one to behold
Cream47 has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Hi Stewart,

here you have a good example of mainlining from a newbie, it's an Italian but there's a lots of pictures to illustrate the evolution of the plants :

Mainlining of Liberty Haze.

Enjoy .
Cream47 is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM #13
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud of
It seems like the goal of many of these pruning techniques is to get light to specific growing tips/ internodes.

Sort of on that note, I have started rotating my outdoor plants, maybe 60 to 90 degrees every day.

The North side just doesn't get the sun that the East South and West sides get.

Rotating them helps all the main growing branches (on their way to being buds) to get quality light roughly 3/4 of the time.

Can't help but wonder if some indoor growers have tried this. Possibly even using Lazy Susan or other devices so it's easy to lug heavier pots around.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 PM #14
stewart169

stewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rives View Post
Perhaps no one does it because they've never heard of it. I started growing a hell of a long time ago, and was curious about your thread title because I didn't know what you were referring to. I think that I caught the gist of it - use seedlings while they are still putting out symmetrical branching and prune for maximum bud size.

If you have a lot of time to dedicate to your grow and enjoy puttering with the plants, it may work fine. My goal for my personal grow is to have a respectable yield with a minimum effort. To achieve that, I use airpots, coco, V+B, Blumats, a modified scrog, and clones. This setup allows me to be out of town for about 10 days a month, motors along with very little work on my part and yields about 3/4 of a pound every 3 months under a 315w CMH.

Sorry if that didn't address your question, but it might present some alternatives to ponder.
Actually once the last cut is done I dont think its much more work. Maybe a little but for a few plants no biggie and after the final defoliation there is no more work except stopping small side branching of popcorn stuff.

Im switching next grow from smallish pots to GroPro smart pots that hold 9 gallons of soil. I like the bluemats but have not tried them. Yet. Im in a small indoor tent and organic which is why I want to use the biggest pot with the most volume of soil I can since I dont use synthetic ferts.

I just used the method of Nugbuckets referenced on the "grow weed easy" site.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 PM #15
stewart169

stewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream47 View Post
Hi Stewart,

here you have a good example of mainlining from a newbie, it's an Italian but there's a lots of pictures to illustrate the evolution of the plants :

Mainlining of Liberty Haze.

Enjoy .
A picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like the plants did well.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 PM #16
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
I've tried it several times and am just now getting it right. It adds time to veg and can't be done (easily) with clones are the main downfall. Here are some pictures of Jilly Bean being mainlined.

Here they are after their first training session. They have been topped once previously. Clones were taken at this stage. There are some auto flowers flowering in the back.

A week or so later they have been topped, trimmed, and trained for eight tops.

All training is done and they are about ready to flip to 12/12. The auto flowers have been removed.

After about a week of flowering. The males have been removed and the clones taken previously are replacing them. That was about a week ago.
ReikoX is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 PM #17
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud ofSt. Phatty has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikoX View Post
I've tried it several times and am just now getting it right. It adds time to veg and can't be done (easily) with clones are the main downfall. Here are some pictures of Jilly Bean being mainlined.

I had an awesome Humboldt Seed Co. Purple Trainwreck that had - almost - that exact bud structure.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 AM #18
Easy7

Easy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really nice
What exactly is 'mainlining'? Sounds like what junkies do.

Never heard that term for pruning. It does sound time consuming.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:44 AM #19
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
It's a method of topping and training plants such that each top is symmetrical and the same distance from the main trunk. Google "nugbuckets mainline" and you should find plenty of tutorials.
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 AM #20
Dawn Patrol

Dawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy7 View Post
What exactly is 'mainlining'? Sounds like what junkies do.

Never heard that term for pruning. It does sound time consuming.
Its a really beautiful thing when done correctly with a seed plant but it takes a lot of time and is suited more to indoor grows than outdoor IMO.

See some of my girls

Gainesville Green - my first true love

Whats going on in my grow cab???
Dawn Patrol is offline Quote