Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ?

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Twilight Labs
Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 AM #1
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ?

I have done my last two indoor grows in a mainline. Turned out ok. My first couple grows were top/fim with some lst. First was a disaster due to my mistakes but second was better.

I'm going to start a new grow indoors organic in a couple months and I can't decide if I want to go back to a more traditional grow or stick with the mainline.

Would love to hear from those who have tried both and pros and cons from your perspective. My cons were mainly veg time seemed to be slightly longer which wasn't that big a deal and pros were other than the colas other popcorn buds were easy to decide to remove early from other branching.
stewart169 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:00 AM #2
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant future
I think trimming plants to get optimum bud structures (usually = max. weight) is very popular, it's just not always called mainlining.

Nuggbucket has a presentation on the subject.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

I think the need for techniques like mainlining is often related to the need to maximize weight production indoors.

I have 3 maximally bushy plants outdoors. I think I topped them once. Started flowering about the first of August. I don't think I could make them more bushy.

One of them is an Apollo 11 F3 and she has a lot less branches. If I'd known, I might have done more topping on her.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 PM #3
Easy7

Easy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of lightEasy7 is a glorious beacon of light
I think you mean SOG not mainlining.

Plant limits and the 50 plant federal minimum sentencing guideline is a big factor. Yes sog can pump out good harvests more often with less of the very expensive 18 hours light on. People opt for more veg and less plant numbers due to plant count limits. Sog also makes the most sense with running clones, mono cropping in hydro. Running from seed can have a very uneven canopy and require more veg, veg costs more money unless you can dial down your lights.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:51 AM #4
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy7 View Post
I think you mean SOG not mainlining.

Plant limits and the 50 plant federal minimum sentencing guideline is a big factor. Yes sog can pump out good harvests more often with less of the very expensive 18 hours light on. People opt for more veg and less plant numbers due to plant count limits. Sog also makes the most sense with running clones, mono cropping in hydro. Running from seed can have a very uneven canopy and require more veg, veg costs more money unless you can dial down your lights.
I presume you were replying to the second post not my initial question.
I'm coming at this query from the perspective of a small personal grow. I'm pretty sure doing a mainline grow wouldn't be the first choice of a commercial type grower.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 AM #5
bigganjabud

bigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud ofbigganjabud has much to be proud of
Scrog ftw
bigganjabud is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 02:10 AM #6
RockinRobot

RockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to allRockinRobot is a name known to all
I agree with bigganjabud. SCROG FTW

Mainlining just wastes veg time. Every time you top plant takes time to recover. SCROG will yield just as well if not better.

Also mainlining doesn't work well on clones. Once a plant matures it no longer grows symmetrically and instead alternates nodes. So you're stuck using seeds for mainlining. Seed plants are harder to keep an even canopy and unless using feminized seeds you also have to deal with males. Really sucks to take all that time mainlining a plant and have it turn out to be a male.
RockinRobot is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 AM #7
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobot View Post
I agree with bigganjabud. SCROG FTW

Mainlining just wastes veg time. Every time you top plant takes time to recover. SCROG will yield just as well if not better.

Also mainlining doesn't work well on clones. Once a plant matures it no longer grows symmetrically and instead alternates nodes. So you're stuck using seeds for mainlining. Seed plants are harder to keep an even canopy and unless using feminized seeds you also have to deal with males. Really sucks to take all that time mainlining a plant and have it turn out to be a male.
Good points but the only part that affects me is the veg time. I use fem seeds. I only grow a few plants at a time but I'm leaning to a more traditional grow wth LST. Which strains did you try mainlining?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:30 AM #8
GonjaLove

GonjaLove will become famous soon enoughGonjaLove will become famous soon enoughGonjaLove will become famous soon enough
I've done a few mainline runs and loved it. Of course it's a longer veg time. It's almost impossible to do a main line on a clone. I did an og18 and super lemon haze mainline run...I believe 20 of each...under 3, 1000w hps...and I came out with 6 lbs of a+ top shelf bud and about a p and a half of popcorn shit.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:24 AM #9
hellfire

hellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the roughhellfire is a jewel in the rough
The simplest way I could put this is:

Ain't nobody got time for that.
hellfire is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM #10
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
The simplest way I could put this is:

Ain't nobody got time for that.
Can you elaborate why? Have you done it?

Only one reply from someone other than me who has said they tried it. If any of the naysayers have tried this type grow it would be nice to hear why as long as its from experience.