Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Defoliation questions

Thread Title Search
Visit the Weed Seed Shop for Great Genetics!
Defoliation questions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 06:52 PM #41
OldPhart

OldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really niceOldPhart is just really nice
ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroombrew View Post
It's never sorted. There will always be those who drag huge leafy trees indoors. Especially here in Oregon omg... 8ft leaf bushes each with their own Gavita. Pumping out larf. I've seen a bunch since I've been here. The top 10" yields nice though. haha!

I've been indoor hydro since '90. Short veg, 1plant/sqft with a leaf here and there.

I live in a strict "No Larf" zone.
I can't speak for the outdoor folks, but when I'm growing indoors, I will do what ever I have to do to make the plant fit my needs, lighting, and conditions; mainly trimming and topping, with a little bondage. People can talk stress and all that, but I'm into this to grow bud, not a happy leafy plant. The one thing I would suggest is just small trimmings everyday, instead of making major changes to them. although I have been asked to look at a number of other peoples' grows, most of which were seriously overgrown. After a major raping of them, they freak out for a day, then go nuts growing. The ones that freak out more are the owners of the grow when I hack out half or more of the plant. LOL

My theory in veg is to trim any branches that won't reach the canopy, and to remove lower leaves that are shaded. Then In bloom, I just remove any leaves that are shading any bud sites. This works well to slow down the taller stalks, while allowing the shorter stalks to reach the canopy. This makes for a decently deep even canopy, and the removal of the lower leaves/branches during veg makes for decent air flow. To each their own, but that is my theory, that works for me.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM #42
acdc

acdc will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPhart View Post
I can't speak for the outdoor folks, but when I'm growing indoors, I will do what ever I have to do to make the plant fit my needs, lighting, and conditions; mainly trimming and topping, with a little bondage. People can talk stress and all that, but I'm into this to grow bud, not a happy leafy plant. The one thing I would suggest is just small trimmings everyday, instead of making major changes to them. although I have been asked to look at a number of other peoples' grows, most of which were seriously overgrown. After a major raping of them, they freak out for a day, then go nuts growing. The ones that freak out more are the owners of the grow when I hack out half or more of the plant. LOL

My theory in veg is to trim any branches that won't reach the canopy, and to remove lower leaves that are shaded. Then In bloom, I just remove any leaves that are shading any bud sites. This works well to slow down the taller stalks, while allowing the shorter stalks to reach the canopy. This makes for a decently deep even canopy, and the removal of the lower leaves/branches during veg makes for decent air flow. To each their own, but that is my theory, that works for me.
works wonders
acdc is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 PM #43
OG Expressions
Banned

OG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
It's never sorted. There will always be those who drag huge leafy trees indoors. Especially here in Oregon omg... 8ft leaf bushes each with their own Gavita. Pumping out larf. I've seen a bunch since I've been here. The top 10" yields nice though. haha!

I've been indoor hydro since '90. Short veg, 1plant/sqft with a leaf here and there.

I saw this on youtube and shook my head. I understood they were trying to maximise given the plant count restriction, but they got the plants so large and stupid looking it was like you said 8 feet of stripped branches then a scrog cannopy, the top 8 to 12 inches do well but the rest is a massive waste of time. They could do the same thing with plants much shorter and get tge same yield. What a waste of food, water and time... plus all that larf bud lol
OG Expressions is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 09:33 PM #44
mushroombrew

mushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Expressions View Post
I saw this on youtube and shook my head. I understood they were trying to maximise given the plant count restriction, but they got the plants so large and stupid looking it was like you said 8 feet of stripped branches then a scrog cannopy, the top 8 to 12 inches do well but the rest is a massive waste of time. They could do the same thing with plants much shorter and get tge same yield. What a waste of food, water and time... plus all that larf bud lol
I can't understand it. Maybe they need really low numbers. I know guys who veg over 100 days indoors!! Loony. So super inefficient.
mushroombrew is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM #45
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk View Post
Agreed. On paper, it's not a good thing. I disagreed with it's practice heartily.

But you should try anything once (almost anything). And I've tried it, and it does, ime, make the lower sites larger and more mature? I can't think of the right word. Same plant, same light, same environment. It was the same run. Strain was Grape OG which has huge fans.

I basically got the same weight with both. but more buds by defoliating, instead of 7g nugs from the mains. That's why in post #2 I said it seems to take it from the main colas and redistribute it to the lowers and sides. I've had plants that 3 nugs = a zip. Which is fine for me, bc, I grow for my own usage. But other people I help, aren't fans of that look.

So, I forget who it was that said it works out the same either way, but that does seem to be the case. I'll try it on the next round too and if it repeats, I'll take some photos.

I would imagine that like anything else, the plant will dictate what works for it and what doesn't. I would just try it on the plants that are leaf heavy and see what happens. Check your weight, # of buds, and bud quality, and go from there.

The other thing was the defoliated plant flushed quicker, which makes sense...but I just never thought of it.
Touches on a major strength of defoliation.

Not so much a yield increase as a marketable yield increase. You can shift production from 33:33:33 tops:middles:larf to 10:80:10 tops:large middles:larf.

Not exactly, but towards this trend. Every plant is unique and requires a different stroke but I have failed to come across one yet that did not benefit from some form of growth control. My goal is to produce as many like size flowers as possible.
Mikell is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 AM #46
Junk

Junk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to allJunk is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikell View Post
Touches on a major strength of defoliation.

Not so much a yield increase as a marketable yield increase.
YES! That's it! That's the thought I'm trying to express..TY!
Junk is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 AM #47
mushroombrew

mushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc Dog View Post
What about removing yellowing top leaves, about 2 or 3 weeks before harvest?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...0&postcount=24
Yes day 21 and 42 as I said. I strip them again at 6wks. To give the lowers those extra photons. Yellow, green whatever they come off at 6wks in my show.
mushroombrew is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 AM #48
w3rds

w3rds will become famous soon enoughw3rds will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk View Post
I've had plants that 3 nugs = a zip. Which is fine for me, bc, I grow for my own usage. But other people I help, aren't fans of that look.
Nothing hurts me like having to break a beautiful cola nug in half to balance a scale....
w3rds is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 AM #49
OG Expressions
Banned

OG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rds View Post
Nothing hurts me like having to break a beautiful cola nug in half to balance a scale....
You coukd always just pull buds away from the stem starting at the bottom it might not be so traumatizing for you lol
OG Expressions is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 AM #50
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has a spectacular aura aboutIbechillin has a spectacular aura aboutIbechillin has a spectacular aura aboutIbechillin has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

With stacked vertical lights i think its possible to grow trees indoors that dont end up all larf to keep plant numbers down. Or instead of stacked getting good side lighting from multiple vert bulbs spread around plants on 2 or 3 sides.

Ive seen some amazing things online in hydro from heath robinson and coco with claims ~1.5 grams per watt.

I always really liked the idea and the logic is there, but have yet to try it myself.

Did recirculating sea of green in rockwool for a few cycles, quality and yield are there just dont like the high plant #s.
Ibechillin is offline Quote