Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Large Fan Leaves (blocking light or providing energy for the plant?)

Thread Title Search
Visit Skunk24.com for discounted cannabis seeds.
Large Fan Leaves (blocking light or providing energy for the plant?) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM #21
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Some good posts in here...

I had two GG#4 last year ooutdoors.
1 i defoliated regularly, 1 only slightly.
The reg defoled plant produced more weight via larger buds in the lowers. Plants were roughly the same size & shape & received water & nutrients at the same rate throughout the growing season.
I gave a buddy a GG#4 clone for his garden & the final plant size was about double either of mine. His yield was less than half though because he ignored me when I told him to remove the fan leaves.

I would have to say that from that experience that defol is almost a necessary task for most B/WLDs but not necessarily for NLD plants. NLDs let the light in but they almost always defol themselves, ime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank.frank
"The answer is not in chasing this cut or that cut - it's in learning how to maximize what you have in front of you and improving your skill set as a grower...that's the ART."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionni
We need to start telling people that their brains are an app...then maybe they will start using them!
MJPassion is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 PM #22
810FireFarm

810FireFarm will become famous soon enough810FireFarm will become famous soon enough810FireFarm will become famous soon enough
plants do not need as much nitrogen during flower, so massive dark green fan leaves are not as much needed, more light exposure will fill lower buds much better than if blocked

also...

if you are properly leaching and flushing your medium the last several weeks you will be removing them anyways so the plant uses up more of the nutrients already stored in the plant tissues, the more reserves on hand(leaves) the longer for the plant to use up the reserves
810FireFarm is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 PM #23
BakedBandit

BakedBandit is a jewel in the roughBakedBandit is a jewel in the roughBakedBandit is a jewel in the roughBakedBandit is a jewel in the roughBakedBandit is a jewel in the roughBakedBandit is a jewel in the rough
I've thought about it being a good trade off fairly late in flower as one extra large fan can block 4-5 med leaves. Makes sense to me that getting rid of the extra nitrogen late in flower by some defoliation could be good as well. I tend to do some defoliation starting in week 7-8 in 10 week strains.
BakedBandit is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 PM #24
BigFoote

BigFoote will become famous soon enoughBigFoote will become famous soon enough
I remove big fan leaves and lower growth toward the inside of the plant or trying to shade their neighbor all the way till the end of the 2nd week in flower. Then once buds are starting to really develop, say around 4-5 weeks, I clip just a couple leaves at a time every few days or so that are shading any major bud sites all the way till week 8.

Week 8 I remove all fan leaves as long as my grow isn't having any issues and begin my flush. My thoughts are, at this point those leaves have done their job and are just holding stored nutrients I want out of the plant. It also give the plant a little stress which I think results in better flowers.
BigFoote is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM #25
al70

al70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to beholdal70 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoote View Post
I remove big fan leaves and lower growth toward the inside of the plant or trying to shade their neighbor all the way till the end of the 2nd week in flower. Then once buds are starting to really develop, say around 4-5 weeks, I clip just a couple leaves at a time every few days or so that are shading any major bud sites all the way till week 8.

Week 8 I remove all fan leaves as long as my grow isn't having any issues and begin my flush. My thoughts are, at this point those leaves have done their job and are just holding stored nutrients I want out of the plant. It also give the plant a little stress which I think results in better flowers.
Ye got it big foote, you've got to know your plant, i believe that a plant in mid flower just can't be stopped, i got a search once and i threw my only plant as far as i could out the top window into the field next door, it landed in a pile of , well i dont know what it was, but a couple o weeks later i came across it while walkin the dogs, it had re routed and hermied a load o seeds, but it kept goin.
al70 is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM #26
Paddi
GanjaGrower

Paddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant futurePaddi has a brilliant future
Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don´t.
When I do, I will not overdo.
I do what makes me feel good. And I do it whenever I want.
I follow my heart and my senses

I have never destroyed a harvest or a single plant.

P

Paddi is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 PM #27
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant future
That's the way... learn to feel what the strain requires. They are plants , after all, not machines and therefore subject to much variation.
Also worth remembering that plants don't 'eat' nutrients, they eat sunlight n co2. Which is gathered by the leaves..... that greenness is not nitrogen, it's chlorophyll busy making carbohydrates for the plants to fatten up with.
I think the more dense indicas need a lil trim here and there though

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: white widow fem (seedsman)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338208

Get free seeds from skunk24! No purchase necessary!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339578
mr.brunch is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM #28
noyd666
OUTLAWS GREEN ROOMS.

noyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivor
well horses for courses of course, I constantly remove fans and any garbage even a thin branch if needed, they never seem to stop regrowing leaves. most real big fans are gone.
noyd666 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 AM #29
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant futuremr.brunch has a brilliant future
Gorgeous buds noyd

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: white widow fem (seedsman)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338208

Get free seeds from skunk24! No purchase necessary!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339578
mr.brunch is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 AM #30
noyd666
OUTLAWS GREEN ROOMS.

noyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivor
thanks brunchy.
noyd666 is offline Quote